Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market... - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012

klem is on a distinguished road
Re: Another "Next Generation" anchor enters the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Unless you are a world cruiser, sizing your anchor for over 50 knots of wind is just creating work for Osteopaths and physiotherapists.
I would argue that in many places, sizing for 50+ knots is not unreasonable for coastal cruisers because of severe thunderstorms. For example, this year, I have already been at anchor for 4 thunderstorms that qualified as severe and New England certainly is not the worst place for these types of storms. While thunderstorms with 50+ knot winds are not very common, sooner or later you end up anchored in one if you cruise enough, I can think of several for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sloop,

I have a 7.5kg bruce/lewmar knock off. 15' of 1/4HT chain and 1/2" rope IIRC. works well so far in some 25-30 knot winds. Somebody makes a 7 lb version, have toyed with one of them for my race anchor with 4' of 5/16" chain, IIRC that is the 1lb per foot size. Then going to 20-25' of chain on the 7.5, or going to a 10kg. Not sure really that a 10 would help much around here if I add some more chain frankly. Delta makes/made a 9 lb fastset which has been the one I have really toyed with. Lewmare makes an 11 lb bruce too. Could do that with 3' of 1/4 also. I do have a 5 lbs bruce, that has held me in some 10-15 knot stuff. I actually use that for a race buoy. But it did better than an equal lb danforth in equal winds while setting buoy. i also do not have to worry as much about resetting with the bruce when the tide wind shifts, like a danforth.

marty
Old 06-29-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I use a 30 Kg bruce with 70 mtr. of 10mm chain and my 35" Bonito does not drag wherever I drop the hook. Works for me and I am not about to experiment with a anchor that look like it came out of a mecano set.

Michael
Old 06-29-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
I use a 30 Kg bruce with 70 mtr. of 10mm chain and my 35" Bonito does not drag wherever I drop the hook. Works for me and I am not about to experiment with a anchor that look like it came out of a mecano set.

Michael
I think you just nailed the primary reason people are not jumping up and down on this one. It may test well on holding on different surfaces, but needing another piece of hardware that needs constant vigilance and maintenance to ensure all the bolts are tight would scare me away from this being a primary anchor.

It might be OK as a backup, but it better be priced accordingly.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 06-30-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road
more preying Mantus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
TEST VIDEOS/ NEWS | MANTUS ANCHORS

Looks like there's a new Mansocna on the market. This one claims to be superior to all the others (who doesn't), but it is novel in that it is a roll-bar type anchor that disassembles for stowage. The spade is a "next generation" anchor that has this feature, but if you're of the roll-bar faith this might appeal.

I don't see any evidence of 3rd party testing yet and one can never trust videos/tests done by the maufactuter, but I'll stay tuned. It also seems like it's pretty heavy by their recommendations chart. Don't know if that's design inefficiency or if they're just hugely conservative with their size recomendations. They could also be recommending "2 sizes up" in order to edge out the competition in upcoming tests.

MedSailor

PS Being a disciple of the almighty Bruce it's a big pet peeve of mine when they test the "bruce" against their anchor using a Lewmar Claw. I couldn't tell if they were using a Bruce or Lewmar, but I do know that neither makes a 25lb anchor like they claimed to test.
My
Name is Greg I am the founder of Mantus Anchors, i appreciate the discussion Mantus has generated on this forum. I would be more than happy to answer any questions.
In the matter of sizing WE ARE conservative with our recommendations!
An anchor is a piece of gear that lives depend on! Heavier size increases both: the holding power and the likelyhood the anchor will set.
Now I know Mantus is the best setting anchor on the market today, but of course the burden of proof is on us and we are in the process of submitting Mantus for independent testing. Still If you believe us that we did not alter or influence the videos, which we did not, than you will find our Test Videos on Mantus Anchor page convincing.
Greg

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 07-02-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Hello Greg. The link you posted didn't work for me.

The results seem odd to me as the relative performance of the other brands does not align with independent testing over the last few years. That is odd.

I do like your chain hook.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-04-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Link to commercial material removed per forum rules....
Old 07-02-2012

Mantus Anchors is on a distinguished road

Dave, thanks! I just fixed the link.
In reference to individual anchor performance in our tests, can you be more specific about what data cast doubt in your mind?
In general our tests show agreement with previous results. In really soft silty bottoms all anchors can set, so blade surface area decides the best holding. In this situation
Danforths/Fortress perform better than the lot, as these anchors offer bigger blades for the given size. In harder more challenging bottoms, setting ability becomes more important, this is where new generation anchors shine. We claim Mantus to be the best in its ability to penetrate hard packed soil. This setting ability not only effects initial penetration but also the depth it dives and ultimately, holding power. In more forgiving soils it is sometimes hard to show the difference between the more traditional anchors and the ones designed to penetrate. But an anchor is a piece of gear that lives depend on. It needs to work everywhere, all the time and that's what we have achieved with Mantus.
Greg

Last edited by Mantus Anchors; 07-02-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-02-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
In reference to individual anchor performance in our tests, can you be more specific about what data cast doubt in your mind?
In general our tests show agreement with previous results. In really soft silty bottoms all anchors can set, so blade surface area decides the best holding. In this situation
Since you asked so politely ... *grin*

Caveat - I watched once through on my phone and paused at the graphs so I may have missed something.

I saw really outstanding performance from CQR in one particular bottom that surprises me. I saw generally low performance from Rocna that surprised me.

We got really pounded by TS Debby here and are still in recovery so Internet is up and down, slow when we have it. I'll be happy to look more carefully in a few days. Do you have a test protocol? Did you do 30 or more sets of each anchor in each location to get some statistical significance? I did like what I saw of your test set-up. If you meet professional academic standards have you considered writing a paper for a peer-reviewed journal? The real science would be cool to see from someone. I've been working on a protocol off and on for a couple of years that would allow truly apple-to-apples comparisons of multiple evaluations at multiple sites. I need a civil engineer or ocean engineer with chops for saturated soils to finish and publish. Anyway - that's a digression.

Best of luck with your product.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Greg

I have a couple of questions about your anchor. First, what are the spec's, materials etc. of the bolts used to assemble it? Next, why does it seem to outperform the seemingly nearly identical "Mansocna" - sharpness? Blade angle? Lastly, why do you have the shank merely bolted to the fluke? It would seem intuitively that having the fluke slotted so it could slide over the shank (which would be T shaped at the end) and THEN be bolted would make it stronger. As it is, it appears the tensile loading on the shank/fluke bolts is the only thing holding it together.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2012
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

I bought one and I will let you know how I like it after our cruise in August. I have received it and it looks to be of good quality and the bolts don't bother me one bit. Half our world is held together by bolts. The wheels on your car are bolted on and nobody frets about those.
MedSailor likes this.