SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Non-skid worn down to fiberglass

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  meteuz 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a '78 Catalina 30 that appears to have some issues with the non-skid. I'm trying to get an idea of how extensive the fix may be. Is it a basic new non-skid application or even more significant top-side work?

Has anyone seen something like this and can offer some advice?
Don't want to pay for a survey if this is a show-stopper right here.

Although the boat is a bargain, don't want to get myself into a money pit.

Some picture...the yellow/gold area is the non-skid:
Wood Plywood Floor Flooring Beige

Yellow Wood Floor Beige Paper

Wall Wood Brick Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Essentially what you would need to do is paint these areas with a suitable finish (eg Kiwi Grip?) or with paint with an anti-skid compound added. Fair bit of work, especially if there is much hardware to remove, but not a high-skill job or very costly.

#9 ·
I would prime with a high build, fair it, prime with high build again, then a epoxy prime with silica sand broadcasted ( heavy ) over the epoxy primer; once that has gone off, remove excess silica, at that point you'll have a nice even non skid. Now you apply your finish ( at least 2 coats ) of whatever finish color you want

#10 ·
I know I will get some negative feedback on this but here go's I re-finished my non-skid on my 32 Fuji with a good quality porch and deck paint with non-skid that I added to the paint just before applying. All from lowe's total price 30 bucks. Two year's and it looks good !

#12 ·
It is hard to tell from the pictures if the fiberglass that you see is the layup for the deck or some sort of a backing for the nonskid. I am thinking maybe they used prefab sheets to redo the nonskid at some point, I would not be surprised if there is gelcoat under those fibers. If that is the case, the issue is purely cosmetic. Even if the exposed fibers are part of the deck pay up, you should be able to seal with with a new coat of nonskid paint as suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.