Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Which is the best teak treatment ?
Teak Wonder 0 0%
Semco 8 53.33%
TeakGuard 1 6.67%
Cetol 5 33.33%
Other 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Teak Deck Treatments - The Best ?

... not any more than a textured non-slip FRG deck.

Besides, decks on a 'sailboat' are set to the approximate gentle curving shear line (higher in the bow and stern than at midships) which quickly shed water to the amidships scuppers .... unless one has a 'clorox bottle' or 'euro-style' with no shear.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

To me the absolute best way to treat teak decks is to remove the teak, epoxy over the sub-deck and put down KiwiGrip deck paint. Anti-skid Boat Decks from Pachena LLC - KiwiGrip anti-slip deck coating

Its cooler, grippier and a lot less maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 03-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
... not any more than a textured non-slip FRG .....
But you can scrub a non-skid with a brush to get into the crevices.

A teak deck should only be scrubbed with a scotch bright, which would float over the proud caulking. Maybe, if you seal teak, you can hit it with a brush. But that still feels like you could raise the grain, unless your sealant really paints it over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-26-2012

David B is on a distinguished road

OK - Might try to get a sample of clear and natural to get a better idea. Wiping the caulking sounds a bit of a chore, so Clear might be the place to start - we can always go Natural or darker, but I suspect we will prefer more frequent applications. Time and personal experience will tell. I am wondering how long it takes per coat for a 50' yacht such as an Oceanis 50. I would imagine the cockpit area and transom step would be around half an hour, but the deck would be a wild guess at 3 hours ???
Old 03-27-2012

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road

As for application time, we tape first and do two - three coats. We only have the cockpit and toe-rails -- no deck -- and the total is about three hours on a Beneteau First 36.7.

If we first use Teak Prep, we tape and apply the Teak Prep late one day and apply the Semco the nest day.
Old 03-27-2012

Thanks. I was forgetting about the toe rails - a bit more fiddly !
Old 03-27-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
OK - Might try to get a sample of clear and natural to get a better idea. Wiping the caulking sounds a bit of a chore, so Clear might be the place to start - we can always go Natural or darker, but I suspect we will prefer more frequent applications. Time and personal experience will tell. I am wondering how long it takes per coat for a 50' yacht such as an Oceanis 50. I would imagine the cockpit area and transom step would be around half an hour, but the deck would be a wild guess at 3 hours ???
FWIW - I have a 'teakey' and it takes ~1/2 hour to 'slop on' a coat of SEMCO to the decks, anchor grate platform, cockpit seating and cockpit grates, I dont 'mask' and wipe up any 'drips' with a solvent loaded rag.

As far as deck scrubbing, you can use a stiff scrubbing brush on a concours quality automotive paint job too. For my decks I use an ultra soft bristle brush on a long pole and use pH neutral car wash soap - you just have wait a bit until the soap does the emulsifying and softening of the dirt.
I know sports fishing boats that use ScotchBright pads and bleach to clean the teak ... every damn time they get back to the harbor ..... and they entirely replace the teak every few years.

Last edited by RichH; 03-27-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2012

Half an hour - now that sounds encouraging ! Watched a video yesterday (they were applying teak oil to a deck) where they were using a pad on the end of a long handle (like a floor sponge). It made the job look a whole lot easier, so I think the process will be to do the diddly bits, then wipe over with the pad arrangement - might even be enjoyable !. I must say, seeing that rich teak colour convinved me that a protective coating is the way to go.
Scrubbing - yes, I have already ordered the softest of brushes. I don't want to be scrubbing away the soft parts of the wood and leaving tramlines. I gues another plus for the coatings - they must have some densifying and protective advantage for the soft parts, even though the natural teak oils prevent penetration to any extent

Thanks,

David

Tags
deck , teak , treatment