Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Which is the best teak treatment ?
Teak Wonder 0 0%
Semco 8 53.33%
TeakGuard 1 6.67%
Cetol 5 33.33%
Other 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012

David B is on a distinguished road
Teak Deck Treatments - The Best ?

Hi all,

No doubt a much discussed topic, but we are about to take ownership of a new Beneteau Oceanis 50 which is fully teak decked, so a lot of teak, and the discussions I have found are a few years old now, so perhaps time to review this subject ?

I read often of the recommended 'wash once a week with salt water' treatment, but we will not be with the boat every week of its life. It will be left in the Med for 9 months of the year under covers, and we want a teak deck that is low maintenance, good looking, and lasts at least 10 years. I understand no scrubbing, no pressure washing etc, but am thinking of a pre and post season treatment with a product such as 'Teak Wonder', 'Semco' or 'TeakGuard'. Therefore, (unless there is another popular one out there I have not come across), what are your experiences of these products, and hopefully we can see which is likely to be the most durable and least work to maintain.

Thanks in anticipation,

David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I used to use cryolite for the teak but just tried Semco. The difference is that Semmco is thin so it soaks in and seals from within the teak while Cetol seems to sit on top of the wood. I think that the Semco would be better for the deck and last longer under foot. Cetol is soft and tends to abrade off easier unless you apply gloss over it and there is a problem with Cetol gloss sticking to regular Cetol. Plus semco looks more natural. I think you are better off with semco for your teak deck and trim.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

Cryolite? I typed Cetol and my phone changed it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Teak Deck Treatments - The Best ?

Sadly, this poll is fatally flawed. The question involves teak treatment, and that is all I saw while taking the poll. My laptop showed only the poll as it lacks resolution to display more when at the top of the page. I then scrolled down and saw we are supposed to be answering a question about treatments for teak decks. I would not treat a deck with the same stuff I use to treat grab rails and brightwork. I'll bet I will not be the only one who answered the poll without reading the first post, so we answered incorrectly.
Pasadena, MD
Old 03-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Not sure I follow the logic. If the boat is left for nine months under a cover, why worry about a treatment?

We wash our bare teak decking at the beginning of the season with either Teakdecking Systems teak cleaner or with Tuf Enuf. During the season we scrub with salt water and a scotch brite on a pole every three weeks or so, not weekly. The deck is hosed down at least weekly. It really isn't high maintenance.

In my opinion, applying a sealer to a teak deck has some devaluing of the boat associated with it. Perhaps not much, but I think most buyers would want to get if off, which can be expensive and time consuming.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2012
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I don't have teak decks so my experiences is very limited...but I couldn't understand why seal it at all, certainly not with a varnish or cetol...

That said, I have used Semco Natural on our cockpit seats and a teak grate at the helm. Its last about a season in Maryland applying three coats in the Spring. You would have to apply it at least twice a year I would think, that would get costly...have you priced a can of Semco or any of the others for that matter?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

I have full teak decks. I use SEMCO with outstanding results.

Letting decks go 'grey' constitutes an abandonment to Ultraviolet destruction of the surface wood cells which then easily erode. With the price of teak at now $50 per board ft., without 'sealing, etc.' you will be replacing the deck in approx. 15-20 years, or sooner.
There is absolutely NO reason to keep a laminated teak deck 'wet' with seawater, and the chemical composition of seawater accelerates the erosion of the teak surface.

SEMCO is great but is slowly lifted by 'green water' and therefore needs continuous coatings at 4-6+ month intervals. SEMCO allows the teak to become wetted and thus its usage keeps the 'footing when wet' just a bit under the characteristic unsurpassed 'non-slip when wet' characteristics of a bare deck.
Only real downside is that SEMCO eventually 'transfers' to boat shoe soles and such shoe soles will need to occasionally 'sanded' to regain their 'wet traction'.

Other 'mixtures' Ive used, and with slightly longer 'service time': 1/3 SEMCO : 1/3 Teak Wonder : 1/3 Olympic Deck stain (w/50% carmel tint) ... but 'recoating' may involve 'splotchiness' if worn away by constant 'green water'. The eventual 'transfer' of the mix to boat shoe soles is a bit faster than with SEMCO alone, so you just need to 'sand the soles' a bit more often. Such 1/3:1/3:1/3 mixtures will typically last 2+ years with 'maintenance coats' in the 'worn-off areas'.
Info on the 'mixes': TOG Photos, Projects & Publications ---> FTP download ---> projects ---> decks ---> Teak oil Test/

The best characteristic of both SEMCO and SEMCO 'mixes' is that the teak still 'wets out' when covered with water, not as non-slip as a bare deck but 'close' to the non-slip when wet as bare teak.

All these coatings are easily stripped off with TriSodiumPhosphate (TSP) ... just dilute the TSP/water mixture so that the 'stripping' doesnt extract 'too much' of the tannins/oils of the teak, then bleach the deck with oxalic acid to restore 'color' (I like bleached teak as it keeps the deck 'cooler' on the feet, etc.).

The absolute WORST teak deck coating has to be Cetol or Teak Guard ... great for outstanding slippery-ness especially when wet AND has to be sanded deeply to repair. Cetol also cracks/crazes with age.

Last edited by RichH; 03-20-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
?........Letting decks go 'grey' constitutes an abandonment to Ultraviolet destruction of the surface wood cells which then easily erode. With the price of teak at now $50 per board ft., without 'sealing, etc.' you will be replacing the deck in approx. 15-20 years, or sooner.
There is absolutely NO reason to keep a laminated teak deck 'wet' with seawater, and the chemical composition of seawater accelerates the erosion of the teak surface........
Assuming a reasonable quality deck and proper maintenance, this does not have to be the case at all. Deck failures are more likely do to allowing water underneath or between caulking, not UV erosion. Keep the caulking in good shape and be sure screw caps are solid, if applicable. Replace boards that show splintering or have that telltale waterlogged appearance after the rest of the deck is dry. Clean well annually, keep dirt away and you might do a light sanding every 10 years, but I think you can keep a teak deck going for a long long time.

I can't say how thick the boards are on the OPs boat, but thinner boards are obviously going to take less sanding over time. A poor installation is doomed anyway and there are examples of that out there, for sure.
StormBay likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Sorry, the issue isnt 'caulking', especially on a non-screwed / laminated teak deck.

The issue is surface erosion (UV degradation) and abrasion (wear and tear + sanding/scrubbing/abrasion, etc.) which lead to premature and very costly deck replacement. You'll note that even the massive asian teak structures, that have lasted many hundreds of years, all have roofs to protect the teak from UV destruction and subsequent erosion.
Old 03-26-2012

David B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
Sadly, this poll is fatally flawed. The question involves teak treatment, and that is all I saw while taking the poll. My laptop showed only the poll as it lacks resolution to display more when at the top of the page. I then scrolled down and saw we are supposed to be answering a question about treatments for teak decks. I would not treat a deck with the same stuff I use to treat grab rails and brightwork. I'll bet I will not be the only one who answered the poll without reading the first post, so we answered incorrectly.
Sorry - you are quite correct. I totally did not think of being more specifice in mentioning teak DECKS. Of well, so interesting replies anyway.
Thanks,

David

Tags
deck , teak , treatment