Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2012

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Universal 5411 engine mount replacement

I have a 1983 5411 (M-15) Universal Diesel that tends to vibrate a bit at high speed under load. I've had a mechanic realign the engine and that helped a little but he says unless the engine mounts are replaced no further alignment adjustments can be made. Has anyone here done an engine mount replacement on this engine? Can just the rubber cushions in the mounts be replaced? Do you have to pull out the engine to do the job or can you somehow replace the mounts one at a time with the engine still basically in place? (And then, of course, realign the engine.) Thanks in advance for any info on this kind of project.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Universal 5411 engine mount replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiloa View Post
I have a 1983 5411 (M-15) Universal Diesel that tends to vibrate a bit at high speed under load. I've had a mechanic realign the engine and that helped a little but he says unless the engine mounts are replaced no further alignment adjustments can be made. Has anyone here done an engine mount replacement on this engine? Can just the rubber cushions in the mounts be replaced? Do you have to pull out the engine to do the job or can you somehow replace the mounts one at a time with the engine still basically in place? (And then, of course, realign the engine.) Thanks in advance for any info on this kind of project.
The rubber part of the mount is bonded to the steel parts with the stud attached. You will need to replace the complete mount.
Once they get old, and "old" means over 15 or 20 years, the rubber can compress down and collapse, and if not that it will harden from aging of the rubber compound and lose its ability to attenuate vibration. Depending on the installation, some engine installations will have allowed sea water to attack the steel or fuel oil to attack the rubber.
Buy new mounts as a set. Your Ericson will likely need three if the Universal has the single front mount. Note that, depending on the balance point of the engine, the weight specification may be different for the real mounts than for the front.
I replaced all of our mounts (M25XP Universal) a few years ago when I looked really closely and found that one on our rear mounts was collapsed down to where metal was bearing on metal. Hard to see with the typical small-boat engine installation where you might need a mirror-on-a-stick to even see it closely.

Our mounts were replaced without pulling the engine. Usually the engine can be raised up, one side at a time, and the new mount slipped in. Check to see if the lag screws into the frp mountings will still allow you to torque 'em up tight. We find that even with relatively good access on our boat, it takes several different wrenches and sockets and precision swear words to do this job.

New mounts can be sourced from Univeral/Westerbeke or from independant sources like PYI.

Please also report on your questions, answers, and progress over at the owners' site at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!. Pictures are a great help.

Cheers,
Loren
EY.org moderator
Old 03-19-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: Universal 5411 engine mount replacement

Lived with a 5411 for 20 years. It was always a pretty smooth running engine (for a 2 cylinder). Yes you can change the mounts without pulling the engine. But its not clear to me that the cause of the vibration is necessarily the mounts. Could be something else like an out of balance propeller. Make sure the mounts are what's causing it before spending a lot of money changing them.
Old 03-20-2012

imiloa is on a distinguished road
Re: Universal 5411 engine mount replacement

JimsCal, This is not a huge problem - I just don't want it to turn into one. The engine itself does run smoothly and I recently had the cutless bearing replaced, the strut remounted and the prop serviced/balanced as well as having the engine aligned. None of that was done to directly address the vibration - the bearing showed signs of wear, the strut had a minute amount of play in it, and since I was at it I figured I might as well make sure the prop was balanced. The mounts are originals from 1983 and given the mechanic's comments and the vibration at high speed plus some of the things I've read on line I'm thinking it's just time to replace them.