SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Chart Plotter vs Software + Laptop or iPad???

9K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Donna_F 
#1 ·
Hello,

After our first long distance sail, it became obvious that we needed to purchase some sort of navigation assistance device. I wanted to get opinions out there on whether I should purchase a chart plotter, or if we should buy software and keep a laptop on board.

Kep in mind that I have spare laptops, so that part is a freebee, and I have USB GPS adapters for laptops also.

The third option is an iPad with a waterproof case, which we have also. It has buily in GPS, just wondering if there is any good plotting software for it.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

#2 ·
We've used Polar Navy on a $99 netbook successfully for years. When it rains the netbook sits on the end of the galley counter, otherwise it's in the cockpit.

No issues thus far and no plans to spend 10X more on a chartplotter (which has a smaller screen) until we decide to head offshore and out of sight of land. Even then I'm not totally convinced it's an absolute must but I'll see at that point.

Have also tried SeaClear (clunky and temperamental and no longer supported) and OpenCPN (OK). I found Polar Navy the easiest to use and it has the same features as OpenCPN.

#7 ·
While I have been content with the Mac navigation software from MacENC, I'm also curious about PolarNavy.
(We keep our old iBook down on the nav table with a GPS antenna plugged into it.)
They say it runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows. You are the first sailor to mention running the PolarNavy app.

Have you any further comments about it or screen shots you might share?

Thanks,
Loren

#6 ·
Don't you have any concerns about sea spray wetting the laptop? I had planned on the laptop being inside, which of course isn't as convenient...
We have not had a problem. The dodger provides good cover from top and sides. If we get caught in conditions that are so bad that everything is battened down, I know how to read and use a paper chart for navigation. I put the chart in a waterproof chart thingy. Depending on where we're going our route was already plotted on both the electronic and paper charts before we left the dock/anchorage.

#8 ·
I just downloaded and installed the Polar Navy NS software with the free 30 day trial, and was very quickly able to import the over 50 charts I have downloaded for free from NOAA. I'm going to test this out, but so far it seems great! Have to test GPS integration and plotting.

Sea Clear is awful.

#10 · (Edited)
I use Fugawi ENC on my laptop with a hockey puck usb gps. It stays in the cabin at the nav desk, as I don't "steer" by the chart program. The main advantage to a chartplotter in my opinion, is that it draws less power from the batteries.

Since I use the laptop for multiple purposes, it seems redundant to have a stand alone chartplotter. (I do have a handheld gps)

btw, the Fugawi runs about $280 and I've been quite happy with it.

#12 ·
The main advantage to a chartplotter in my opinion, is that it draws less power from the batteries.
Good point.

Since I use the laptop for multiple purposes, it seems redundant to have a stand alone chartplotter. (I do have a handheld gps)
Our redundancy is in the paper charts although this year we may experiment with some of the nav apps for iPhone. I also download the Coast Pilot, light list, nav rules, etc, onto it.

I just ordered a new netbook from Verizon (whence the $99 cost on the last one) and this one is also a wifi hotspot so that will be handy at anchor or in the slip.

#15 ·
I use an iPad with a gps bluetooth puck. Bought a clip in holder that clamps to the rail on my binnacle and securely holds the iPad. Also have a dc plug at the helm for charging. Protection via Bimini and dodger. For software I use charts and tides (us gulf) and iSailGps.

#16 ·
I use PolarNav on my Macbook Pro to plot courses, research routes, anchorages, etc. While underway I use a chart plotter mounted in the cockpit, particularly useful when in tight quarters, along the ICW, finding buoys in the fog, etc. It is nice to have the chart plotter to forecast and verify what I am seeing around me. My laptop battery doesn't last long enough to navigate with underway, computer is not weather proof so I leave it below out of harms way.

#17 ·
I have used PolarNavy, OpenCPN, and SeaClear for the past several years. I load up an old laptop with whatever linux distribution dejour and away we go. Last year I went from a puck to a Garmin gps designed for the trucking industry ($180) and interfaced it to my TackTik system. My criteria is the system must do AIS and ENC charts. SeaClear is long gone and I don't know if it does AIS, but I don't understand the grief it takes here on this thread. Worked great when emulated under linux using Wine, much more robust, faster, and quite simple. These are all backed up with Navionics on the Android.

#18 ·
We have a chartplotter, but use an iPad in a waterproof case and the Charts and Tides app for backup. Last season alone, the iPad became primary twice, as the plotter dumped on me. There are more functional nav apps if it really was going to be primary, but we like the above app for its offline ActiveCaptain cruising database. Try AC and you'll never cruise again without it.

Having both aboard, the iPad is much easier to handle than the clunky laptop.

#19 ·
... but we like the above app for its offline ActiveCaptain cruising database. Try AC and you'll never cruise again without it.
Having both aboard, the iPad is much easier to handle than the clunky laptop.
Agree about Active Captain. It is a great resource. It overlays the chart in Polar Navy but I'm on the fence about that. Opening a review only gives you the stars, not the detailed information and the details are more useful to me as they usually contain helpful navigation information. I may continue to use it as a separate web page instead of bringing it onto the chart as the icons can be distracting.

Yesterday I received my new netbook ($119 through Verizon with a 2-year contract). I see that it has a built-in GPS. I'm curious to see if that will allow us to eliminate the external GPS.

The netbook is small, so clunky isn't an issue. I do like that it can stand on it's own.

Someday I'll buy an iPad and give that a try.

#21 ·
Well I think I like PolarNavy a lot. I installed and screwed around with it on my main machine, and it's painfully easy to use. I especially like that I can use all of the free NOAA charts.

I just installed clean Windows 7 on a sub-notebook (14.1") and I'm going to test it on Sunday with a Microsoft GPS. If I like the setup, I'll be buying the hockey puck, as it's waterproof.

I'm slightly concerned about the power consumption, but I'll have to see how that goes. I'll report back on Monday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.