SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Lewmar winch problem (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/85231-lewmar-winch-problem.html)

Tonyhibbett 03-20-2012 04:09 PM

Lewmar winch problem

We recently had 2 new winches fitted for the jib sheets. One works perfectly but the other snags the sheet, more often than not. Looking at the other winches, the locking plate lug (sorry, no idea what it's called) could be described as at 4 o'clock, whereas the the rest are at 8 o'clock from the user's point of view. As a result, the sheet tends to get drawn into the locking mechanism, dislodging a shouldered rotating key normally under the locking lip. I hope this makes sense. Clearly the winch has been incorrectly orientated to be consistent with the others that work fine, so my question is: how?

rugosa 03-20-2012 04:44 PM

Re: Lewmar winch problem

Presuming you have self-tailing winches. There should be installation instructions with the winches if new, or search Lewmar tech info online. If you have an owner's manual and other Lewmars info might be there. Sounds like the stripper needs to be reoriented. Depending on the age and model there will be a circlip around the stub where you insert the handle, or socket head screws (4). Once you remove the circlip/screws you should be able to remove ONLY the cap, and then lift the stripper out. It is gear toothed. At that point orient it as needed and reassemble.:)

Tonyhibbett 03-20-2012 06:02 PM

Thank you. It is brand new, Staring down into the hole where the handle goes, it all looks user unfriendly, all sealed. Skipper seems to think you can sort it with a screwdriver but clearly not the case. I fear that it has become distorted as a result of the jamming under extreme pressure. I told the skipper we didn't need extra winches, but he wanted them for the new pain-in-the-arse spinnaker, which looks very impressive from a distance, I'm sure, but gets it's knickers in a twist at the drop of a hat, puts the helmsman ill at ease and drives the boat no better than the genoa which is relatively easy to handle and in my view, does a better job, even without the mainsail!

SloopJonB 03-20-2012 07:13 PM

Current Lewmars don't require tools for disassembly - the cap comes off with thumb pressure. If you notice, they have only a couple of small raised pips that resemble those "security" screwheads they use in public washrooms.

Press your thumbs hard against them and rotate leftwards (Righty - tighty, lefty - loosey).

If by "locking plate lug" you are referring to the line lifter - the sort of L shaped arm that leads the line into the self tailing mechanism, it should be positioned at "5 o'clock" to the person grinding the winch.

You can reposition it by simply removing the top cap, lifting the winch drum and swiveling it into the correct position at 5 o'clock. Then merely slide it back down the shaft and screw the cap back on.

If that isn't your problem, pictures please.

Faster 03-20-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyhibbett (Post 848258)
...... the new pain-in-the-arse spinnaker, which looks very impressive from a distance, I'm sure, but gets it's knickers in a twist at the drop of a hat, puts the helmsman ill at ease and drives the boat no better than the genoa which is relatively easy to handle and in my view, does a better job, even without the mainsail!

Once you get your issues sorted the 'PITA' spinnaker will drive your boat much better than a genoa unless you're always sailing with 120 deg AW and 20 knots true.

Twisted knickers and all is usually a sign of lack of practice (or comfort) with the sail by the crew and especially the helmsman. Give it time and practice and you'll come to enjoy it. ;)

rugosa 03-20-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks for the current model clarification SloopJonB - seems I was lost in older version and not aware of the new improved . . . :D

SloopJonB 03-21-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 848318)
Once you get your issues sorted the 'PITA' spinnaker will drive your boat much better than a genoa unless you're always sailing with 120 deg AW and 20 knots true.

Twisted knickers and all is usually a sign of lack of practice (or comfort) with the sail by the crew and especially the helmsman. Give it time and practice and you'll come to enjoy it. ;)

An' dat's da troof - I don't know whether rail down to windward or haulin' A under the chute is the best part of sailing, but it's one of the two. Under the chute is usually warmer and more comfortable. :cool:

Tonyhibbett 03-21-2012 06:39 AM

Thanks for the info on winches. As I said, all the other winches are at '8 o'clock' and work perfectly and are the same type. 5 is very close to 4 and there must have been a good reason why the skipper and the fitter agreed to fit this one different from all the rest. Now I have some idea how to adjust it. What happens is the sheet gets drawn in under the arm.
As for the spinnaker, I have to admit it is new and different from the previous, smaller one. Once up, with the wind on the starboard quarter, it was so smooth and easy, I let a complete novice take the wheel and he had absolutely no trouble holding the course, up to the point when we had to change course to avoid running out of water...

olson34 03-21-2012 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I understand (part of) the O.P.'s question, this involves the Line Stripper and which way it points.
I was always taught that it should point at the trimmer/grinder. Another way to imagine it is that the winches on each side of the cockpit should have the Stripper pointed inwards.

I will attach a little picture of a modern Lewmar ST winch, which will either help, or reveal that we are talking about two different things!
:)

SloopJonB 03-21-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyhibbett (Post 848504)
Thanks for the info on winches. As I said, all the other winches are at '8 o'clock' and work perfectly and are the same type. 5 is very close to 4 and there must have been a good reason why the skipper and the fitter agreed to fit this one different from all the rest. Now I have some idea how to adjust it. What happens is the sheet gets drawn in under the arm.
As for the spinnaker, I have to admit it is new and different from the previous, smaller one. Once up, with the wind on the starboard quarter, it was so smooth and easy, I let a complete novice take the wheel and he had absolutely no trouble holding the course, up to the point when we had to change course to avoid running out of water...

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption - I've seen a lot of winches mounted VERY haphazardly. From your description, it sounds as if the tailing line might be constrained from falling away from the winch easily enough. I have seen situations where the tail tends to "bunch up" a bit as it is stripped off the self tailing mechanism - usually caused by it piling up on the deck or coaming immediately under the position of the line lifter. Make sure the line can fall away clear from the winch before you pursue other solutions. Without pictures I'm just guessing but I'm inclined to think that repositioning the line lifter a bit farther clockwise might be the resolution.