Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012

wlbutts is on a distinguished road
Re: New Lehr propane outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Neat project.
do you see anything the commercial product did that you were not able to to.

Do you refill your 1 lb bottles?
do you freeze them first?
what weight do you fill them to?
Commercial Product is probably more reliable and has a warranty, was not available when I first needed it.

I refill the 1lb bottles

I don't freeze the bottles first, just chill them for 20 minutes in an ice chest, I don't even use but "blue ice" freezer blocks

I use an inexpensive "postal scale" from "wal mart" (about $12 3 lb capacity) and fill em to an ideal weight of 1 lb 14 oz. (1 lb 10oz - 1 lb 15 oz range). If they overfill I little, I vent them down to 1lb 15

I generally get two or three refills on a bottle. If bottle has more than even minor surface rust, any mishape, or I can smell any gas; I trash the bottle.

To trash the bottle (1) empty all gas with refill adapter (2) Remove the "vent valve" with a long stem "tire valve tool" (the one that looks like a screwdriver) (3) place upside down, with refill adapter on and "vent valve" removed for 8 hours (lets all propane heavier than air escape) then (4) either remove "fill valve) with tool or drill out with cordless drill. This gives you a "demonstratable" empty bottle that scrap dealers will more readilly accept for recyling 14 oz of steel.
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012

wlbutts is on a distinguished road

Very important i forgot to mention - do all refill and trash bottle activity in a well ventilated area.

I do on the picnic table in the middle of my back yard away from all other structures
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-24-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The 64 million dollar question is who built it and there keeping that quite

They even have defender selling the stuff right now and there is NO dealer service/parts network
West Marine is now selling them.
Maybe that will be the parts outlet.
Old 03-25-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Got my hands on the new propane outboard today

Oops, started a new thread without looking to see that this one was here. Here's what I posted:

Anacortes was having a "boat show" this weekend, which was really just a chance for boat brokers to show off their stock, but there were a couple local yards and shops with tables out. One of the local yards had the LEHR propane outboards. I gave the 2.5 a good once over. Here's what I learned:

It looks well made and well thought out. There is a removable rubber plug in the cowling to access the spark plug for example and the oil change screw and oil fill are easy to get to. All controls felt strong and positive and seemed to be of high quality. Apparently it's a Yamaha engine and parts will be the same as yamaha 2.5hp parts.

What I was most interested in was run times. He had a chart and apparently at full throttle a 1lb bottle (or one pound worth of a larger bottle) will give you 60min at 4,000rpm which is wide open. 1/2 throttle, which is 3,000rpm (according to the chart) will give you 2hrs and 39min of run time per lb.

Starting is reportedly easy, but 3 pulls are required once you attach a propane bottle to prime the system. After that it's 1 pull till the bottle is empty.

The 2.5 does have a slot for 1lb bottles AND a fitting for attachment to larger cylenders. One very good piece of information is that LHER has a patent on a refillable 1lb bottle that is the same size, shape, and thread pattern as the disposable green ones. They're planning to mass manufacture refillable ones that have a real valve in them. Seems safer than the rubber ball "valve" on the disposable ones. Apparently they're hoping to enter the 1lb bottle market in a big way with exchangeable cylinders like you can now do with your BBQ bottles.

For me, if they have USER refillable 1lb bottles at a reasonable price, that would be enough to make me want to buy it. Have one in the motor and one in the dink and you've got lots of motoring time and you've got no mess, no gasoline spilling, no gasoline smell.

The big purchase budget for this year is already spent and or spoken for so we're not buying an outboard this year but I'll be keeping an eye on these things and touching base with the local seller periodically. I'll keep everyone posted on what I learn.

MedSailor
Old 10-20-2012

jhorst1 is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is old, but has anyone has any more use this season on these engines? Im thinking about picking up a 2.5 with my new dink and cant find much downside to not having to carry gasoline.
Old 10-20-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I've still got my eye on them. I've heard some unsubstantiated claims that Yamaha's small engine block patent expired and is now being copied by Chinese motor-makers. I kind of think it's unlikely to be a true rumor as the 4 stroke small engines haven't been around that long, but I would like to investigate. Having a block made by Yamaha with another label on it is very different than an unknown company copying a motor.

I'm sorely tempted to get one, but on the other hand I expect to be sailing to the south pacific and Australia in 5-7 years and I need to investigate the availability of propane and fittings down there....

MedSailor
Old 10-20-2012
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T

MedSailor... This is great news if the claims are true. Not the part about the engine block patent expiring... but the part about the Chinese WAITING for the patent to expire before they start copying!!
bljones likes this.
Old 10-20-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

If you take some time and wonder around the Internet you will find they did the same thing with weed whackers and SEARS promoted them in a pretty big way

If you look a bit more you will see it did not really work out with the biggest complaint being HARD STARTING

There are a LOT of knockoff Chinese outboards with Parson being one of the more well known ones and despite the cost advantage nobody has every gotten far in competing with the name brands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2012

jeffyboatingman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
The 64 million dollar question is who built it and there keeping that quite

They even have defender selling the stuff right now and there is NO dealer service/parts network
I own a 5hp LEHR Short Shaft Outboard, and it is indeed a Chinese Knockoff of an older Yamaha 4 stroke.. It uses the same prop spline, powerhead looks like a yamaha too, just different shape cowls.

I live in WA and well not sure about my motor, might be a lemon of the bunch but it is that awesome unfortunately. It had idle issues right from the box when I purchased it, it wouldn't Idle correctly and would die if I put it in gear. I ended up calling and getting instruction on how to get it idle correctly, keep in mind I have owned old 2 strokes to newer 4stroke since about the 90s, 20 years or so. It was simple to adjust the "carb" but it would just not run correctly. It would only idle fine in gear if neutral was idling really high. I fish rivers and around the Everett Area, and I wanna be able to have the motor running the whole time I'm fishing so I can go against the current and adjust my angles on drifts, but alas I can't with this one.

Next Problem is, the ability to refuel compared to a regular gas motor is terrible. I have a canoe so carrying a BBQ tank is not ideal. It does take a 1lb tank but it wont last very long if you're fishing. I have to carry about 3 or 4 little tanks, switch em out everytime it runs out and having to purchase these tanks for $5 each. It doesn't make sense to me to have to purchase these little tanks over having a nice Japanese Outboard with its own tank and have a couple gallons (that you can easily get at a fuel dock!) in a compact container for much less money each trip.

Another issue is it's Too loud because of high idle and motor itself is pretty clunky, the gears inside sound terrible changed the oil a few times to at least kill that sound and best for me was high mileage Castrol GTX. When at Full throttle the tiller handle feels like it's going to break off because of the cheap material its made out of. The handle flexes really badly when your steering the motor.

The Electronics on this motor. If you take a look at all the parts used, quality isn't there. The power packs and spark plug boots feel and look like cheap generic parts. I have a miss here and there on full throttle but not enough for me to notice. I believe it's just a slight short going on.

Going to cosmetics and non mechanical parts, The Cowl and Latches. When taking off the cowl and putting it back on, it just won't sit correctly. You have to pound it down on from the top to get it to sit straight and for the flimsy little latches to hold it down. The flimsy little latches, self descriptive. Any kind of wave or movement on the boat can unlatch it easily. The latches look like they cost $0.05 to make and feel just as cheap as every other part.

If I could re-do my purchase I'd get a nice Merc/Nissan 5 or 6hp 4stroke and just call it a day. Sure the Lehr might not have carb issues, but I'm sure my motor will give me more issues. It feels very fragile compared to my previous Mercury 3.5hp 4 stroke. It's also a PITA to get fuel for this motor and a lot of the metal parts including my fuel hose is starting to change color and slightly corrode.

So there's my 2 cents guys, thanks!!
Old 12-09-2012
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T

Quite a negative review there!! But being your 1st post on this forum certainly cuts down on the credibility of the source.

Certainly could be a thoughtful consumer hoping that others don't make the same mistake that you do... Or could be a competitor or disgruntled ex-employee, or any number of other possibilities.

Call me a cynic... But I hope some other users chime in on the reliability of their units.