Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013

chessie291 is on a distinguished road
Re: New Lehr propane outboard

Hopcar, Chessie the Sea Monster . . .. we're long time Chesapeake Bay sailors and I'm looking at the LEHR as a dinghy motor . . . getting too old to horse that 8hp Yamaha on and off the Dinghy. Lots of folks have expressed negative comments, but you'll always see that on any forum. I have climbed all over the 2.5 and 5 and they look as good or better than a Tohatsu (who make small motors for several manufacturers). Also, they are not new . . . HIDEA has been around since 2008 and they have a world wide network - now I'm repeating myself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

I think you would like the Lehr. I'm enjoying my 2.5.
Brisak likes this.
Old 07-24-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPYcat8 View Post
Picked 5 hp from West Marine in Anacortes in June. Put in use on my boat in charter with AYC. Last charterer came back with complaints about quitting while at idle after a quick throttle down from full. Have taken out and will take to service at North Harbor Diesel.

I like having a 4.8 # bottle with pressure gauge located under and forward of the dinghy seat.

Will keep you posted.
Get it fixed?
Old 08-13-2013

Brisak is on a distinguished road

I am enjoying my 2.5 Lehr on a 8'6" dinghy. It is very efficient, economic and quiet. I had issues with the first one I bought, but Lehr customer service was excellent and exchanged it for me. Apparently there was an issue with an early production that got fixed with the latest. I can recommend the 2.5 Lehr at this point.
Old 08-13-2013

Brisak, There were problems with the first container of motors they brought into the country. We sold several of these and Lehr stood behind their product 100 %. Every one was replaced not just repaired.
Old 08-14-2013

Mon Amie is on a distinguished road

I bought the Lehr 5hp short from West Marine when they first came out to replace my Merc 6hp and get the gas off my sailboat. It is Chinese made and parts are cheap plastic. I used it about 4 times. The last time it died when the propane hose to the carb blew off and ended up paddling back. My list of complaints are as follows; cowling doesn't fit, hard to start, excessive vibration, sliced my hand changing the propane tank, and the plastic handle that keeps the motor from turning broke off. I took it home and got it running again after checking for loose bolts and hoses. However as I know longer have any faith in it, it still sits in my garage. I put my 12 year old Mercury 6 back on my boat for use on my dinghy. If you read the reviews on the West Marine site, you will know I'm not the only one. Now looking at electric outboards (Torqueedo) as an alternative. Craig

I spoke with Lehr about it and told them to build a better outboard with quality parts. It doesn't look like it would last long in a salt water environment.
Old 08-14-2013

chessie291 is on a distinguished road

Mon Ami,

Wow, not a good review. I have looked at a lot of reviews on these motors including W. M. and its certainly a "love it" or "hate it" story. I have not yet bought one, but at this point it appears to be a risky choice.
If you haven't already, you may want to look at some of the stories about folks who bought some of the early Lehr motors and experienced problems. Lehr replaced them rather than fix them. With a horror story like yours, I'd speak to West Marine, Lehr and anyone else who will listen.

Good Luck,

Chessie
Old 08-14-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

We are in Bonaire in the S. Caribbean. Propane is 5 times the US cost and to get a tank filled you leave it and they ship it to Curacao the next island over and it comes back in two weeks.

However, we can buy petrol very easily.

These outboards are making something very simple very very difficult the moment you leave the US!
Old 09-02-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon Amie View Post
I bought the Lehr 5hp short from West Marine when they first came out to replace my Merc 6hp and get the gas off my sailboat. It is Chinese made and parts are cheap plastic. I used it about 4 times. The last time it died when the propane hose to the carb blew off and ended up paddling back. My list of complaints are as follows; cowling doesn't fit, hard to start, excessive vibration, sliced my hand changing the propane tank, and the plastic handle that keeps the motor from turning broke off. I took it home and got it running again after checking for loose bolts and hoses. However as I know longer have any faith in it, it still sits in my garage. I put my 12 year old Mercury 6 back on my boat for use on my dinghy. If you read the reviews on the West Marine site, you will know I'm not the only one. Now looking at electric outboards (Torqueedo) as an alternative. Craig

I spoke with Lehr about it and told them to build a better outboard with quality parts. It doesn't look like it would last long in a salt water environment.
I've posted several times about our experiences with a Lehr 5 HP that we bought in June - not sure in which of the several threads that are going, but the comments from Mon Amie (quoted above) are a good place to catch up and share some new information. We have the Lehr on our Beneteau 210 that lives in a slip on a relatively large (3 mile by 9 mile) lake. We daysail, though at some point plan to anchor in a cove for the night.

Until today, our experience with the Lehr has been reasonably good. Starts right up, runs relatively smoothly, and eliminating the need for gasoline on the boat has been quite convenient - not to mention avoiding the regular carburetor rebuilds necessitated by ethanol additives. Yes, we have had the same problem Mon Amie mentions attaching the cowling. Yes, the metal edge of the clip that holds the propane canister is sharp. We had been putting up with those flaws as best we could - again, appreciating how we don't need gasoline on the boat.

Today - the first day in a month with decent 10-15 knot winds, and temperatures under 90F - we arrived at the lake looking forward to a great time on the water. My wife and I pulled off the sail covers, attached the halyards, donned our pfds and planned how we would exit our slip with a fair wind on our port side. I lowered the Lehr into the water and pulled the starting cord. Nothing. Again. Nothing. And so on. What gives?

My first thought was a faulty propane canister that had leaked to empty during the three weeks since we last were aboard. I loosened the clip, unscrewed the canister, and sure enough it was empty. Grabbed a full one, jockeyed it into place, and then realized that the brass screw-on fitting had separated from the line feeding propane to the engine. It was lying loose in the area where the canister rests. Removing the cowling and digging around I was able to find the fuel line. OK, I thought, let's reconnect things. At the end opposite the brass screw-on there is a ribbed metal end that is to be forced into the end of the fuel line. After 30 minutes fussing, I realized I couldn't do it - not enough leverage with the tools available. So, just as Mon Amie's fuel line separates at the carb mine does the same at the tank. Easily separated, but next to impossible to reattach.

I'll get it fixed, but cannot trust the fuel delivery system to work reliably. I'm now thinking maybe a small aluminum propane tank to put in the lazaretto would be a better solution - provided that I can confirm that the quarter-sized hole at the bottom will provide sufficient ventilation.

What looked like a great idea seems to be suffering from sloppy execution.
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-02-2013

Sparrowe, you should call Lehr customer service.

"You may also call us toll-free, Mon to Friday from 9:00AM to 6:00PM PST, and Saturday and Sunday 9:00AM to 5:00PM PST at 1-866-941-LEHR."

If the customer service guys can't help you, ask for Dave the engineer.

I don't think you'll be able to run the engine with a remote tank. The two lines are tee'd together and I think the gas from the remote tank would come out of the broken hose.

Here is a link to where you can see a parts break down for your motor.
Choose Your Motor |