Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012

Leander is on a distinguished road
Re: Planning boat yard time for DIY haul-out

3/22/12

Well, I'm learning a lot from everyone here.

I realize there has been a miscommunication here between me and some responding members, namely bljones, mitiempo, and maybe Barquito.

When I was talking about painting the "sides", it looks like this word means deck and cabin to many, and I didn't realize that may be how the word is commonly used. I was referring to the topsides, the freeboard between top of bootstripe and the deck gunwale.

The reason I have this divided out in my mind is that I'm figuring that working on vertical sides and bottom has to be done in the yard so I don't contaminate the water at the marina, whereas I think I could do the deck and cabin at the marina if I stay clean, have dust vacuums and good plastic sheeting, etc. , only do a little at a time, and stay considerate to neighbors and dockmaster.

On a completely separate note, I walked through the yard today. See my blog at EY.o Information Exchange - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs. There are 6 completely burned out boats from a major fire we had Mon night 3/22.

There is also a guy completely restoring a Ranger 33. Looks great with new LP paint on freeboard.

Also learned from the Ericson owners that I will have to drop the rudder.

If all this gets to be too much, I'll just do the mechanical stuff and do painting another time. Really love all your comments. Feel like I'm getting educated a mile a minute.

Thanks,
Leander
Old 03-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
3/22/12

I was referring to the topsides, the freeboard between top of bootstripe and the deck gunwale.
I understand that- based on my own experience, it is going to be a job too big to accomplish in one week on the hard, along with all of the other work on your list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
3/22/12 I was referring to the topsides, the freeboard between top of bootstripe and the deck gunwale.
I understood you to mean the hull above the waterline as well. Way too much for one week with the other jobs.
Old 03-23-2012

Ok you guys, it's definitely sinking in and getting through now. I think I'm going to go back over the insurance letter and just do the things they require-mainly flimsy raw water intake thru-hull, leaky depth finder sender opening, rudder. I also definitely need to end up with a working prop. I'll get all that done and see if there is any time left. The bottom paint can probably go for another 6-8 months, and the sides are strictly cosmetic.

I have definitely learned that a good general rule is that helpers here almost always have sound advice, and I have sepaartely learned that every boat job I plan is going to take five times longer than I expected, with at least three major errors!

Leander
Old 03-23-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

While I would skip painting the topsides, I would certainly bottom paint if hauled for a week. It can be the last job and doesn't take that long - a day at most including prep if the bottom is in reasonable shape.
Old 03-23-2012

steveg353 is on a distinguished road

I hope that while you have it out you can budget time and money for a bottom job.
I did not notice if you mentioned whether or not you had it hauled out for survey.
If maintenance has been poor as you stated, there is no telling what you will find below the waterline.
You will need to decide what kind of bottom paint you will want.
It will depend on what type of paint is on there now as to how it will need to be prepped for new paint.
If the bottom is real bad, you may want to let the yard grind the old bottom off for you and DIY the new barrier and bottom paint. Hopefully there will be no blistering. If there is some, it can be taken care of the beginning of the week and painted towards the end of the week.

I must say, I did all the type of projects you are talking about doing but I lived on my boat for a month in the yard. It is truly amazing how large a 34'er looks when you are underneath it with a sander!
Old 03-27-2012

Thanks, SteveG,

I did have it pulled for the survey, and I know nothing disastrous is going on.

Unfortunately, I will have to pay both the daily fee at my regular marina, plus the daily fee for the yard, approx $80-105. I get the feeling from some of the posts that the economic facts in San Diego might be different than other places, for example colder areas where all boats are out all winter.

Leander
Old 03-27-2012

steveg353 is on a distinguished road

That's good...maybe it just needs a good sanding and a couple coats of bottom paint. The only disaster will be when they tell you how much bottom paint costs...lol
Non of this will matter when you are plowing across the bay with a smile from ear to ear.
Enjoy!