Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012

Leander is on a distinguished road
Planning boat yard time for DIY haul-out

Hello all,

I'll bet there are many posts on this subject in the archives, but I just couln't figure out the search words to find them.

I need to take my 1972, 35', Ericson 35-2 out of the water in San Diego very soon, within the next 4 weeks, to complete work that insurance co requires to renew policy.

I'm new to boat, poorly maintained over many years, I have to assume the worst about everything.

I would like to try to do everything myself, have enthusiasm, "Good Old Boat", tools, but no experience. Am taking a week off work.

1. Anyone have a link to a "As long as you're putting your boat in the yard for work, be sure to consider doing this". list?

2. "Before you take your boat out, be sure to do these preparations." list?

3. "These jobs will take you this much time" list?

4. "You'd be crazy to try this yourself" list?

To give you an idea of my list already:

1. Make a plumbing diagram of all existing through-hulls.
2. Decide where new through hulls needed, what to plug up.
3. Get a working depth gauge sender.
4. Learn condition of every through hull from both sides. Make all through hulls safe, and of excellent quality to last for many years. Expect possibility I may need to remove, recondition, and replace every through hull.

5. Fix what are probably significant defects in hull. (Have no leaks, however)
6. paint bottom
7. Paint sides.
8. Fix a rudder very loose in its rudder housing-may need packing, bearings, don't know.
9. Re-align shaft.
10. Check shaft packing gland, cutless bearing.
11. Replace propeller.

Thanks to one and all for any ideas!
I blog on EY.o Welcome Page.

Leander

Last edited by Leander; 03-21-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fix minor typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Planning boat yard time for DIY haul-out

In seven days, you can probably do all you need to get back in the water, assuming you have no major issues. for #2, do you need new thru hull locations? #4 - would check out your thru hulls and postion soft wood bungs for each of them if the thru hull fails. Otherwise, I'd not replace them unless they are failing. #5 - if there are no leaks, you probaly have no significant defects in the hull. You'll want to check for blisters. #8 - you might need help with the rudder, and it might be loose steering cables. #9 - realigning the shaft probably won't be neccessary, either. Not a job I'd do myself if you do have to do it. #11. if you do have to replace the propeller, you might want help. Special tools required.

You will also want to put prop zinc(s) in place and consider waxing (vice painting) the hull above the waterline.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-21-2012

klubko is on a distinguished road

We bought very neglected 30' boat, stripped her more or less completely down and put everything back in two weeks. We had a very detailed list of what needs to be done, sometimes even with notes on how to do it. We started with the idea that yard will do something for us as we were completely new to this, but after seeing the quotation for their work we were very glad we did it ourselves. There is hardly anything you couldn't do yourself.
Think twice before you modify the boat. The previous owner might have made customizations that seem strange, but there might be a very good reason behind them. But I guess you had the boat for a while, so you know what you want. (After all we sealed 7 out of 10 secocks )
And it might be a good idea to rebed the seacocks, if that hasn't been done for few years.
If your boat does not have a cored hull, consider mounting your depth sounder inside the boat. One hole less, easy cleaning/replacing.
Good luck!
StormBay likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

1-3 can be done before the boat gets pulled.
4-6, 8, 9, 10, 11 all sort of go together, and with no delays due to lost or out of stock parts, expecting that you WILL need to lift the boat and/or dig a hole to R&R the rudder, can be accomplished in a very long dawn to dusk week if working alone.
Item 7... in a week, even with a weekend on each end, with the rest of the work, fuhgeddaboudit. Not gonna happen, unless you have a crew of 3 or 4 motivated hard working people to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2012

response to johnnyquest37:

Thanks very much for helping me.

I have to go check and photograph each of the existing thru-hulls. Most of them look pretty solid and well done, although engine raw water valve is unsupported and makes me nervous. At least some of the valves are high quality ball valves, My idea was not so much to replace them as re-seat those that seem like they need it, and remove the valve, clean it up, and re-seat it wthout letting a lot of seawater in. (Is there a safe way to do this with boat in water? I have this vivid image of trying to remove a valve from a thru-hull where neither has been touched for 20 years, watching everything break off at once including an 8" hunk of hull, watching boat sink in 5 min.)

On the rudder, I have tiller steering and no cables. Yard owner has suggested I have simply a metal rudderstock, a fiberglass tube, and over the years the rudder has worn the fiberglass tube. Ericson Owners site mentions bearings, packing, zerk fittings, etc, so I have to check it out.

Leander
Old 03-21-2012

Response to Klubko:

Thanks very much for the encouragement and your personal success story.

I have owned the boat for about 10 months, but still feel like I'm at the "first date" stage. Lot of basics I still don't know or haven't recorded carefully enough. I need to make some modification to the thru-hulls, because right now I don't think there is either a raw water intake or discharge for the head. My theory is that prior owners used boat as a floating condo, rarely, decided maintenance of head wasn't worth it with marina head 50 yards away, so glassed over intake and discharge. From the inside, this 40 year old boat seems to have as many glassed over openings as current functional openings.

I'm not sure what I've got with the depth sounder. When the boat was hauled out for the survey there appeared to be a thick flat glass area surrounded by peeling fiberglass cloth that I took to be an external sender. I want to either remove that completely and seal the hull there, or make it into something external that I have more confidence in.

Leander
Old 03-21-2012

Response to bljones:

Thanks very much for your help and opinions.

I wasn't sure what you meant about "Item 7". In my original post, item 7 is painting the sides. I am surprised to hear you think that will take a long time. The sides look pretty good now, are white, and I was thinking more like one day to do these, either staying white or changing to dark green. I may be missing a basic concept, or communicating poorly. Thanks very much for sharing your experience with a new guy.

Leander
Old 03-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

to paint the topsides you have to sand the topsides, and as small as your boat may feel in the water, she gets really damn big when you have to sand her down. Then once the boat is sanded you have to paint and you'll likely need multiple coats, and that means multiple days.

Old 03-22-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

To add to what bljones posted:

If the gelcoat is in reasonable condition it is best to keep it and spruce it up - once you paint you will forever paint and nothing is as durable as gelcoat.

A one part paint like Brightside is good for 4 - 5 years. A 2 part paint like Perfection or Awlgrip is good for about 10 years or so. The 2 part paints are very sensitive to application.
Old 03-22-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

If it was me, that project list would take... I don't know, but a lot longer than a week. Do as much as possible b/f the boat is lifted. The process of figuring out how to do a project, and ordering parts will start to bring up problems that you can solve b/f you are paying for yard time. Make a priority list: Stuff that might impact safety (keep the boat from sinking), stuff that is required by insurance, then if you have time, stuff that will make the boat look pretty.