Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Side paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakAwayFL View Post
Also, yes, it's the outside of the hull above the waterline. The topside could probably use some paint, but it's not that bad as is.

Thanks!
BA... the outside of the hull above the waterline IS the 'topsides'... what you're calling the topsides is the deck. And to continue the confusing terminology, know that the inside surfaces of the hull above the waterline is the "ceiling" and the underside of the deck/cabin is the 'overhead'...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Have you considered waxing and polishing the topsides?

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 03-23-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road

I had thought about it but since it's chalking, to my novice eyes, it seemed perhaps too far gone. I'm certainly open to giving it a shot first, as it would cost a thousand times less.

I had looked at a one stage wax/polish, and then if it showed significant improvement I would go ahead with the work of a two stage.

And WOW i need to get a hold of this terminology! So yes, the topsides are what I'm talking about, the deck is fair and doesn't need too much attention at this time, just a good scrubbing (I have a separate thread trying to find soaps safe to use while in the water.)
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-23-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Waxing is probably temporary at best, if it's chalking. I would try to machine compound it, if my fallback plan was to paint. A bad compound job could force you to paint. But, it may be worth the effort to potentially avoid needing to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-23-2012

Side paint

I just picked up StarBrite wash/wax as a first step. The 2 step would be the compound wax then polish. Let's see how clean she gets after some scrubbing first. I'll report back.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 03-23-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

BreakAway

This might help Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

You have to remove the oxidation before you polish and wax.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
BA... the outside of the hull above the waterline IS the 'topsides'... what you're calling the topsides is the deck. And to continue the confusing terminology, know that the inside surfaces of the hull above the waterline is the "ceiling" and the underside of the deck/cabin is the 'overhead'...
And yet, leaving the cabin and going on deck is often called "going topsides" and a popular brand of DECK shoes are "topsiders" so I can understand the confusion.

What we really need is a sticky: "Newbie's salty glossary: Read first!" , with all of the most essential terminology to be able to communicate on sailnet, and the dock, passably intelligently.
BreakAwayFL likes this.

Old 03-26-2012

So, yesterday I was in the water hand washing the boat, getting to know every inch of her. I have come to the conclusion that A: she needs a bottom job ASAP. and B: she really could use a sanding and a new coat of gel on the topsides and C: the striping needs to be stripped and repainted, as it's peeling, and the color under it is peeling as well.

Crap.

I'm going to do it myself, and I'll be following that wonderful thread posted in this thread as my how to guide.

Now comes the search for affordable (LOL right) gel and bottom paint, and figuring out the costs of having her pulled from the water and set up in a DIY yard.

Could anyone contribute what the haul out and monthly fees in a DIY yard might be? Also, are there any "hidden" charges these yards like to stick people with?

Thanks all.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 03-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Are you really planning to redo the gelcoat? That's a nightmare and not a great DIY job. At worst, I thought you would sand her down, fair in filler, prime and paint.

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with the bottom paint. Get one that works well in your area. The effectiveness of bottom paint is very regional. The cost savings for the cheapest paint will come back in the form of hull cleaning or more frequent application.
mitiempo likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-26-2012

p.s. if you're committed to painting, a small area with compound (not wax) is worth trying. If it comes out well, younwill save yourself a ton of grief. If not, you're back to painting.

The cove and boot stripes are easier to deal with and can be stripped and repainted. While the boot should be painted, I'm a fan of a vinyl cove stripe, which can then be changed more easily between paintings. Takes the pressure off color selection too, since it can be peeled back and redone.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.