Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road
Question Side paint

Hello all.

I'm considering changing Serenity's side color from white to scarlet. I know absolutely nothing about gel, other than it being expensive from what I hear.

Can anyone give me a little advice on how to choose a paint (gel) and also approximately how much it takes? 25' long, 8' beam.

Also, is this a multi-coat process like painting a house?

Thanks all.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Side paint

Take a look at this months Sail magazine or the Interlux website
Old 03-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Side paint

Generally using a good 2-part paint is preferrable to redoing gelcoat. Plenty of threads on the topic here and there.

Preparation is the key to a good result.. there are various methods to apply the paint that can create good results.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-21-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Break, it's a little like painting a house, but different. It's a lot of gruntwork and preparation and occasional frustration, but well worth it in the end. I'm assuming you are talking about painting the side of the hull (aka "topsides") and not the side of the cabin.
Gelcoat is not the direction I would take for a colour change by an amateur.
Get Don Casey's "Sailboat Refinishing" Read it at least twice before starting on your boat, even before buying materials.
Amazon.com: Sailboat Refinishing (9780070132252): Don Casey: Books Amazon.com: Sailboat Refinishing (9780070132252): Don Casey: Books

SWMBO and I refinished Whiskeyjack two years ago , topsides, bottom paint, deck, cabin and brightwork in less than 2 weeks and under $500.

Before:

During:

After:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Dark colors do fade - red is the worst.

Especially in sunny areas like Florida.

Cabin temp will go up a lot as well, quite a lot.

And no paint lasts as long as gelcoat. But I agree if you want to do it paint is the best choice. Use a good paint like Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip, or Alexseal. The preparation is the same for a cheap paint as a good (more expensive ) one and the better paint will last a lot longer and be more resistant to scratches as it is harder and tougher.

Last edited by mitiempo; 03-22-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm told by those that painted my boat that Alexseal is much more forgiving to spray than Awlgrip. These two part paints are harder and more durable, but not indestructible. They will take fender rubbing better, but you will still want fleece covers.

An acrylic paint might be easier all around for a DIY. Softer, so will damage easier, but are easier to fix or buff out.

If paying someone else to paint, I would definitely use an LP. If DIY, it's a tough call, partly based on your skill.

A couple of other things to think about. A white hull hides minor imperfections, like dips or print through from glass bedding or internal structure. As soon as you put a dark color on there, you will see them all from 100 feet away. The hull really needs to be fared out entirely with lots of long board sanding.

Second minor thought, but I wouldn't let it stand in my way. Red is not the most popular color, although, it is desireable by many. Nevertheless, when you go to sell our boat, the potential buying pool is only going to be red boat lovers. Further, for your boat, you may find many that don't want to deal with the annual maintenance and expense of a painted hull.

Have fun.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-22-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
An acrylic paint might be easier all around for a DIY. Softer, so will damage easier, but are easier to fix or buff out
I agree. I'm leaning toward something like Interlux Brightsides for the topsides, and some two-part for the deck. Also agree that you shouldn't paint a boat if you don't need to. OTOH, Whiskeyjack makes it hard to argue!
Old 03-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

What I have found over the past two seasons is that total hull/deck maintenance time is dramatically LOWER with the painted surface than the old weathered gelcoat. It used to take a couple of hours of weekly scrubbing to keep the deck and house clean, now it takes a couple of buckets of water splashed on and pushed around with a mop and sponge. The robin's egg topsides needed a day of buffing compounding and waxing each spring, and still looked weathered and faded and beaten. No longer. I used to have to scrub the topsides once a week to get rid of spider crap, bugs, etc. With a slicker painted surface there is less crap sticking- usually a good sail cleans everything off.

After calculating the hours we put into painting, we have probably gained all of that time back over the past two seasons with the time saved cleaning during the season.

Old 03-23-2012

BLJones - WOW, she's beautiful!

So maybe not a color change then, since this will be a DIY project. But here's my situation -

She's not shiny, and she's chalky. Like touching old aluminum siding on a house. I would love to see some shine on her, I think it would completely change the appearance of the boat.

I can live with white, I just figured since I was going to paint her, why not. If there are other or better options, I am more than happy to hear them.

THank you all for your valuable input!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

Old 03-23-2012

Also, yes, it's the outside of the hull above the waterline. The topside could probably use some paint, but it's not that bad as is.

Thanks!
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy