Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Friggin' Raymarine...

So after a lot of soul searching I decided to take a chance on a Raymarine X5. It was that or a CPT since a below deck unit was out of my budget.

I finished the install today, and everything looked good to go until I tried the dockside check out and no response from the motor and a "Mot Stall" warning. This occured even with no load on the motor I rechecked all my wiring to no avail then jumpered 12 volts to the motor and it worked fine. I then put a meter on the leads to the motor while in auto and entered adjustments port and starboard and no voltage was applied. So it appears the brain is dead right out of the box. Great.

Now because I bought the unit from Defender over 30 days ago in Feb but just now installed it, I have to go through Raymarine for warranty service.

Really wish I'd gone with the CPT already. Even if the customer service is great, I don't think I'll ever trust this pilot, or buy another Raymarine product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Wow, I almost wish I had not read this. Today I received my X5 from Defender. Guess I need to install it asap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-24-2012

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Friggin' Raymarine...

The good news is Raymarine service is actually pretty good. I had the same issue with a bad AIS unit. I sent it in and had it back in about two weeks total. They really try to turn things fast.
Old 03-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Wow, I almost wish I had not read this. Today I received my X5 from Defender. Guess I need to install it asap!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The install went pretty well otherwise, so it was a real buzz kill after all that effort to have it not work.

Hopefully, all it will take is wiring up a new brain and we'll be in business. I had reused some wiring from the old Autohelm 4000, and the run from the panel to the brain was longer than it needed to be, so I shortened the run, taking about 6-8 feet of unneeded length. The run from the brain to the motor is about 20 feet and is as short as I can make it. There shouldn't be excessive voltage drop in that distance which is the only thing in the wiring that could be a potential problem.

Windward, I hope you are right. I really want a working AP ASAP.
Old 03-24-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road

Quick question, Did either of you get the P70 head unit with the x-5? If so, how do you like it?

Not too much of a hijack is it?
Old 03-24-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Funny, I have been researching the p70 x-pilot for a few months now. My Simrad died last summer. I will be watching this blog for more feed back from the crew. Please do tell what you have learned and what might be a better option.
Brad
Old 03-24-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road

Bought the x5 a few months ago from defender. Just finished installing it and pleading to my marina to put me back in the water already! It does power up and turn the wheel nicely so far though.
Old 03-24-2012

The X5 gets good reviews from some users up to boats about my size (C36) which are pushing the limits of the unit. That said, there are also a lot of stories of both out of the box or "infant mortality" failures. Most of the ones I've read about have been with the drive unit though, so my issue is the first I'm aware of that seems to stem from the course computer.

Most of my opinion of Raymarine is formed from dock mates at my former marina. One neighbor had a full suite of Raymarine professionally installed and had constant issues. I'd see the Marine Electronics guy on her boat frequently. The other guy installed his stuff himself and also was frequently having things not work. My recent experience and past observations hasn't helped improve my opinion. Too bad Garmin, Furuno or Lowrance don't offer wheel pilots.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I have an X-5 on my boat and have had no problems at all....except when It's blowing like stink and I ask it to steer downwind.

Midlife....if you shortened the cable are you sure you got the splice 100% right? I have witnessed that on neighbor's boats several times, and every time they were sure they had gotten it right.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 03-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mid.. I have the X-5 for 2 years now and it operates flawlessly. I laso have Radar, C-80 chartplotter, wind, depth and knotmeter instruments and have not had any issues in 5 years.

I rpobably just jinxed myself

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.