Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Got my hands on the new propane outboard today...

His price for propane is about right for here (maryland), his price for gas is somewhat low (even using his original price of 2.85 which became 2.65 in his calculations.

Using the current (July '13) average around here - 3.39 it is still less expensive to run with gas than propane. It actually costs 38 percent more to run propane given those numbers.

Cost is not the only issue - cleanliness, emissions, sound, easy of use, risk mitagation etc. need factored in.
Practical Sailor magazine rated this engine as measurably louder than the gas version. They also said it was less powerful at WOT (not a real issue as most dinghy's reach hull speed at 2/3 throttle with a 2.5 hp).
Emissions, it's still a green house gas emitter. Cleaner, not zero.
No build up in the carb.
Handling propane is a known factor, like gas - to me that's a wash.

The only kicker I see left is cost (MUCH more expensive)- and using my limited propane for anything but cooking. A hour of dinghy time (1 pound estimated) comes out to at least several days of cooking gas.
Old 07-22-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangirl View Post
Any updates on the motor?
Yeah, everybody I talked to who owns one doesn't like it.

I was also scared off by the rep himself at the Seattle Boat show this year. He told me that they're selling like hot cakes in South America and they can't keep up with production but are trying to scale up. He said they're trying to double production this year, and hopefully increase production 10-fold in another year. To me, that sounds like a scary time to buy...

He also told me that the block isn't made by Yamaha, but rather that particular Yamaha block is not under patent anymore so the block is a Chinese copy.

I'm passing on the propane outboard for now. Maybe after several years, if people say they're great....

MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 07-22-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013
Older Salt

Sea7King is on a distinguished road

One more carburetor rebuild and I'm selling it and getting a propane outboard..
Old 07-22-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Yea, I'm rebuilding one of my carbs as we speak on a 2 year old 2.5 suzuki. I'm sick of it, but you guys aren't encouraging me to switch yet either!
Old 07-22-2013

akavishon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Yeah, everybody I talked to who owns one doesn't like it.
MedSailor
I bought one (2.5HP) at the start of this season and so far love it. Relatively frequent (4-5 times a week) shuttle duty between the dinghy dock and my mooring in the past couple of months, I'm only on my 3rd propane bottle. Engine never needed a 3rd pull to start.

No affiliation with the manufacturer, just a happy customer (so far).
Old 07-22-2013

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

The 5 HP we put on our Beneteau 210 in early June keeps chugging away just fine - maybe a half-dozen trips in and out of the marina so far (15-20 minutes each way). We just started on the third propane bottle. So far, so good - but we'll see what develops as the season progresses.

My only complaint is that there is a clip that secures the engine cover; it is quite fussy.
Old 07-22-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

For those who are actually using these things, have you calculated how much propane you burn per hour of operation? I know the manufacturer publishes a number, but I take that with a HUGE grain of salt. I'd be a whole lot more interested in real people's real experiences.

Sparrowe, you say you just started on your third bottle after "maybe" a half-dozen 20-30 minute trips. So is that three pounds of propane for 3 hours of operating a 5 HP engine?
Old 07-22-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akavishon View Post
I bought one (2.5HP) at the start of this season and so far love it. Relatively frequent (4-5 times a week) shuttle duty between the dinghy dock and my mooring in the past couple of months, I'm only on my 3rd propane bottle. Engine never needed a 3rd pull to start.

No affiliation with the manufacturer, just a happy customer (so far).
Great! Hopefully it is actually a good product. I was pretty excited about it for a while, and would like to be again.

When you guys say you're on your "third bottle of propane" do you mean BBQ size, green bottle (1LB) or other size?

MedSailor
Old 07-22-2013

akavishon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Great! Hopefully it is actually a good product. I was pretty excited about it for a while, and would like to be again.

When you guys say you're on your "third bottle of propane" do you mean BBQ size, green bottle (1LB) or other size?

MedSailor
Since the 1st week of June, until now, I've spent only 2x 1lb of propane, and have just started the 3d.

I have a 6.8' dinghy ... my usage is probably "very light duty", i.e. my mooring is only a few hundred yards off the dinghy dock, and I never felt the need to turn the throttle more than half way. To be fair, I think of my dinghy outboard as a "rowing assistant" to/from the anchorage/mooring, and not really as serious boat power.

For my usage, the cost of propane (vs gas) is a rounding error, considering the overall boating budget ... I probably burn more propane on my boat BBQ than on the outboard

Before this Lehr 2.5HP I had a Honda 2HP ... imho, the Lehr looks/feels more robust and is slightly quieter, and slightly heavier.

So far, I'm a very happy customer, but only time will tell ...
Old 08-13-2013

Brisak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
For those who are actually using these things, have you calculated how much propane you burn per hour of operation? I know the manufacturer publishes a number, but I take that with a HUGE grain of salt. I'd be a whole lot more interested in real people's real experiences.

Sparrowe, you say you just started on your third bottle after "maybe" a half-dozen 20-30 minute trips. So is that three pounds of propane for 3 hours of operating a 5 HP engine?
I have been using my 2.5 Lehr and logging time. My last bottle ran for 2hr50min (low throttle) and it still has a little juice on it. I have used my engine for approximately 10 times now, and it seems that performance is increasing over time.vMy dinghy is 8'6" long and it is carrying approx. 400lbs between humans and the engine.