SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Depth Transducer

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cb32863 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of putting a depth finder on a Catalina Capri 22. I know I don't want a transom mounted one or a through-hull. That leaves me with the in-hull (shoot through). I've read the instructions online and it looks simple but my question is since it is a sailboat, and I will be (hopefully) keeled over going super fast, would that not affect the reading. Do these transducers shoot the signal out in a straigh line or is it a cone and the closest reading gets reported? How about building a box for the transducer, filling it with mineral oil and hanging it? That way it should always be looking straight down....

Thanks,
Justin

#2 ·
Hi SailingJ, my boat is a little bigger than yours (32'), but I installed an in-hull when my old thru-hull died, and am very happy with it. Heeling does not effect it; it is placed down near the centerline of the boat (but not so close that the keel interferes). Because my transducer is large (to be compatible with my old Datamarine instruments) I went the mineral oil route, using a plastic compression pipe fitting from home depot, glued down in to be as close to vertical as possible and then filled. However I am told that the less expensive transducers can simply be epoxied into place (make sure no bubbles in the epoxy).

Before installing mine, I did test a few different locations to find the best spot - transducer in a plastic bag of water as I recall. Made a difference in getting a strong signal.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Good advise on placement and using ziploc bag with water to check best location from paul323.
I have uses silicone to install transducer and still going strong for years. Not recommended by manufacturers but very forgiving and
easy install. Manu. usually recommend epoxy, you get one chance to get it right.
Important that hull is solid glass with no voids, and important that
transducer does not move until whatever you are using sets up.
Search threads there are several that go into in hull installs,
one as recent as this past week.

#4 ·
I was looking at the glue on. I guess I don't understand how the boat leaning over would not affect the reading. If it really doesnt then the glue on will be the way to go since i usually sail with charts anyways and this will just be for more peace of mind.

#5 ·
Stick it to one side a couple feet in front of the keel. Buy a two part epoxy at any hardware store and this is a 5 minute install. Use the in hull transducer not the through hull. Either way when you heel it will shoot at an angle so there is nothing you can really do there besides a lead line.

If you want to try a spot put some hair gel down in a big gloop and squish the puck into it and that will show that location works. Easy clean up. I had one installed on a ranger 22 and it did pop off once because of hull flexing when I went over some really big waves. I used the slow cure epoxy the next time and had no issues ever again. There is no reason to drill more holes in the boat now with the shoot through the hull transducers.

#6 ·
I'm thinking of putting a depth finder on a Catalina Capri 22. I know I don't want a transom mounted one or a through-hull. That leaves me with the in-hull (shoot through). I've read the instructions online and it looks simple but my question is since it is a sailboat, and I will be (hopefully) keeled over going super fast, would that not affect the reading. Do these transducers shoot the signal out in a straigh line or is it a cone and the closest reading gets reported? How about building a box for the transducer, filling it with mineral oil and hanging it? That way it should always be looking straight down....

Thanks,
Justin
Yes it is usually a fan or a cone, allowing for considerable heel of the vessel.

#9 ·
When I asked about this very same thing a while back at another forum, I was told to do something similar. Get a big enough piece of PVC, epoxy it down in side, set the transducer in there, fill with toilet ring wax, make sure all is stable and have at it.... I will be doing this sometime with mine as the current mounting is just.... well, my momma always said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything....

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.