Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barquito

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012

SalinJ is on a distinguished road
Depth Transducer

I'm thinking of putting a depth finder on a Catalina Capri 22. I know I don't want a transom mounted one or a through-hull. That leaves me with the in-hull (shoot through). I've read the instructions online and it looks simple but my question is since it is a sailboat, and I will be (hopefully) keeled over going super fast, would that not affect the reading. Do these transducers shoot the signal out in a straigh line or is it a cone and the closest reading gets reported? How about building a box for the transducer, filling it with mineral oil and hanging it? That way it should always be looking straight down....

Thanks,
Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: Depth Transducer

Hi SailingJ, my boat is a little bigger than yours (32'), but I installed an in-hull when my old thru-hull died, and am very happy with it. Heeling does not effect it; it is placed down near the centerline of the boat (but not so close that the keel interferes). Because my transducer is large (to be compatible with my old Datamarine instruments) I went the mineral oil route, using a plastic compression pipe fitting from home depot, glued down in to be as close to vertical as possible and then filled. However I am told that the less expensive transducers can simply be epoxied into place (make sure no bubbles in the epoxy).

Before installing mine, I did test a few different locations to find the best spot - transducer in a plastic bag of water as I recall. Made a difference in getting a strong signal.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road

Good advise on placement and using ziploc bag with water to check best location from paul323.
I have uses silicone to install transducer and still going strong for years. Not recommended by manufacturers but very forgiving and
easy install. Manu. usually recommend epoxy, you get one chance to get it right.
Important that hull is solid glass with no voids, and important that
transducer does not move until whatever you are using sets up.
Search threads there are several that go into in hull installs,
one as recent as this past week.
Old 03-25-2012

SalinJ is on a distinguished road

I was looking at the glue on. I guess I don't understand how the boat leaning over would not affect the reading. If it really doesnt then the glue on will be the way to go since i usually sail with charts anyways and this will just be for more peace of mind.
Old 03-25-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road

Stick it to one side a couple feet in front of the keel. Buy a two part epoxy at any hardware store and this is a 5 minute install. Use the in hull transducer not the through hull. Either way when you heel it will shoot at an angle so there is nothing you can really do there besides a lead line.

If you want to try a spot put some hair gel down in a big gloop and squish the puck into it and that will show that location works. Easy clean up. I had one installed on a ranger 22 and it did pop off once because of hull flexing when I went over some really big waves. I used the slow cure epoxy the next time and had no issues ever again. There is no reason to drill more holes in the boat now with the shoot through the hull transducers.
Old 03-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalinJ View Post
I'm thinking of putting a depth finder on a Catalina Capri 22. I know I don't want a transom mounted one or a through-hull. That leaves me with the in-hull (shoot through). I've read the instructions online and it looks simple but my question is since it is a sailboat, and I will be (hopefully) keeled over going super fast, would that not affect the reading. Do these transducers shoot the signal out in a straigh line or is it a cone and the closest reading gets reported? How about building a box for the transducer, filling it with mineral oil and hanging it? That way it should always be looking straight down....

Thanks,
Justin
Yes it is usually a fan or a cone, allowing for considerable heel of the vessel.
Old 03-26-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I temporarily mounted an in-hull transducer with a blob of toilet ring wax. It stayed in place well enough that I never went back to epoxy it in. Lasted for 5 years.
paul323 likes this.
Old 03-26-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Depth Transducer

I've used Vaseline to hold a transducer in place.
Old 03-27-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I temporarily mounted an in-hull transducer with a blob of toilet ring wax. It stayed in place well enough that I never went back to epoxy it in. Lasted for 5 years.
When I asked about this very same thing a while back at another forum, I was told to do something similar. Get a big enough piece of PVC, epoxy it down in side, set the transducer in there, fill with toilet ring wax, make sure all is stable and have at it.... I will be doing this sometime with mine as the current mounting is just.... well, my momma always said if you can't say something nice, don't say anything....

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.