Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012

Richbro is on a distinguished road
Scanmar 33 keel.

Hello all,

I've owned a Scanmar 33 for the past 5 years and have lifted out and maintained it annually. After the lift out and the hull is washed off and dried, a thin crack line appears along the keel fairing about 24 inches forward from the rear and about 12 inches back from the front edge. The centre portion is always sound.
My approach is to clean out and re-fair the crack with epoxy as my gut feeling is that the keel attachment is basically sound.
I wondered if there are any other Scanmar owners that have had similar keel problems of this kind and what approach they have taken to the problem.
The boat was built in 1985.
Many thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Regards,
Richard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Scanmar 33 keel.

Hi Richard! Welcome to sail net!
If the attachment were sound there wouldn't be a crack opening up and getting larger! The stringers could be warping from the weight after so many years. Don't know about your boat but I'd want to know the condition of the keel stub and if it's waterlogged and soft from age. many boats have wood "in there" Certainly the forward and aft the keel bolts are in question. Something flexible as a filler may be better then epoxy.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2012

Thanks for the reply Denise,
The studs and nuts are not the easiest to get at unfortunately. In order to get a socket and extension down into the bilge means drilling a hole through the wood flooring, under which is some petty thick laminate so it's not a job I relish.
Nevertheless, if it has to be done then so be it.
The idea of a flexible filler appeals and depending on what I see when the boats lifts in a couple of weeks time. Probably Sikaflex will do the job.
Anyway, thanks for your input.

Richard.
Old 03-26-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

The other issue is a rig that is too tight - this will bend the boat a bit in some cases if the boat is not longitudinally strong enough to counteract it. In any case it has to be investigated I think.
Old 03-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Rich,
I have an 1978 S&S 34. Bought about two years ago. When purchased had boat hauled and surveyed. Survey found a keel crack similar to what you have. I have about 10, 3/4 inch SS bolts holding the keel. The bolts are offset from center line about 5 inches (This is much stronger than the bolts in a line straight down center line). The bolts from survey were found fine (surveyor used the sound test- while not perfect, a good indicator in the hands of a skilled surveyor. Survey suggested I grind out the crack and reglass, Suveryor was not concerned about cracks as his experience was it was a non-structural flexing crack. Experience glass shop said they had done similar repairs on other boats. Note the boat had just finished a circumnavigation. I had repair done and after two years of heavy sailing no more cracks.

I would have a surveyor look at you bolts and keel. If you bolts are offset from center line and are in good condition from just visual and you bilge is not leaking, and when you pull the boat you do not have many days of water leaking from the crack, I would just glass it over. Before glassing over it I ground out and flushed the crack with freshwater and blew dry with compressed air.

I have looked further into this since my repair and found you could create a lot more problems by pulling the keel, or at the minimum, spend a lot of money not really solving anything. I dive my boat regularly and keep an eye on it, so far so good.

FYI, my keel is 5,000 lbs solid lead with the keel bolts attched by nuts in "windows" in the keel. The solid lead bolts direct to the solid glass boat hull.

Have you had a hard grounding since last inspection?
Good Luck

Last edited by casey1999; 03-26-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2012

Check out these threads- I think you'll find your answer:
Scanmar 35 - Yachting and Boating World Forums

but check out page 3 of this:
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/17952123...cle-translated
Regards
Faster likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 03-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Nice finds, Casey!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice finds, Casey!
Thanks,
Apparently there is a Scanmar Owners Associatioin that would have more information, but the links in my previous post will not go there. Seems to be a problem with the site. I would think the Association site would have some good info if you can get into it.

OP- I do not quite follow the problem with the bridging keel sleepers as described in the links, could you post a pic of what your keel bolt area in the blilge looks like?

I like your boat, was actually looking at one before my purchase (one problem the closest Scanmar 33 to my area was 7,000 miles away).
Old 03-27-2012

Thanks to everybody so far, especially Casey 1999 with the links.
Re the Scanmar33 in general, 250 were made for Europe and 250 went to the States, I did seriously think of going to San Diego from the Uk I was that serious about buying but I found one closer to home thankfully. They're very popular in the home base of Scandinavia.
I'll keep this thread updated with pictures in due course so it might help others.
Regards,
Richard.
Old 03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbro View Post
Thanks to everybody so far, especially Casey 1999 with the links.
Re the Scanmar33 in general, 250 were made for Europe and 250 went to the States, I did seriously think of going to San Diego from the Uk I was that serious about buying but I found one closer to home thankfully. They're very popular in the home base of Scandinavia.
I'll keep this thread updated with pictures in due course so it might help others.
Regards,
Richard.
Rich,
Where is your boat located?

The first download in this attachment may help, although you need to pay:
http://marinedirectory.ybw.com/repri...ales&offset=30

Last edited by casey1999; 03-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.