Handheld LED flashlight for coming into those dark, moonless anchorages - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012

deckofficer is on a distinguished road
Handheld LED flashlight for coming into those dark, moonless anchorages

These are new to me, I know they have been around for awhile, but just bought it last week and received it today. The battery for it, ordered from a battery vendor, came in last week. The LED flashlight is custom built by Wayne in Oregon. Uses Three Cree XM-L LEDs, 1000 lumens each, a total of 3000 lumens, and it is bright. Uses one 26650 or 26700A LIMN battery rated at 3600 mA/hr 3.7 volts and the light pulls 12 amps, so run time is around 22 minutes. But here is the math 3.7 X 12 = 44.4 watts. Now I know your thinking a 60 watt incandescent isn't so bright for a household bulb, but your forgetting lumen output for LEDs are 10 times that of incandescent, so now those 3000 lumens is around what a 444 watt (500 watt if you will) shop light puts out. And it is directed light instead 360*.

Notice the heat fins on this Big Bruiser? That is its name. Milled from a solid chunk of aluminum.

This is home lightning by some globed CFs.

This is with the older power light, the good old 6 volt lantern with a 20 watt quartz bulb.

And the LED Big Bruiser.

Just porch lights

The 6 volt lantern style beam light.

The Big Bruiser LED
Lou452 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2012

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Re: Handheld LED flashlight for coming into those dark, moonless anchorages

Are LED's really bright from technical point of view they are bright. For the human eye the frequency of LED light is not the best light. Most probabably the US rules do not allow LED navigation lights due to this concern. If you can use a LED and are able to see at night use it. But don't forget that others might not be able to see your LED light.
Old 03-27-2012

This one runs 5500 kelvin, so it matches sunlight in color. If you point it towards the water at an angle where the reflection doesn't nail your eyes, you will see clear to your hook. Draw back is even with the massive finned heat sink, the LED junctions will heat up the entire flashlight to the point that it is too hot to hold after 5 minutes of use.

An approved LED masthead light produces 120 lumens and can be seen 2 nm. This handheld light produces 3,000 lumens and I have no idea what distance it can be seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You mean it's better than my 2 million candlepower rechargeable light with a pistol grip? Yes, it actually says 2 million cp on the side. I have no idea what a candlepower is, other than from personal experience, it seems to be nonsense............

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2012

Easy to figure out. Is your torch incandescent and what is the wattage?

Old 03-27-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

100 watt quartz halogen. I had to go find the thing on the Internet, the real deal is on the boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Notice how blue the home photo looks? Most LED's are blueish in color. Blue light destroys your night vision, which you need to see unexpected things like floating deadheads or unmarked granite. You will be night blinded and only able to see what you point the light at.

Green light is much less disruptive to your night vision, it used to be standard for dashboard lighting.

Red light is harmless to your night vision, that's why astronomers use red lights.

I like to use a combination of one red LED with one green LED. It gives fairly good color rendition and is not as harmful to my night vision.
Old 03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
100 watt quartz halogen. I had to go find the thing on the Internet, the real deal is on the boat.
A fluorescent generally produces 5X the lumens vs an incandescent for the same wattage and LED around 10X. Yours, I'm sure will out throw mine because of the lens and reflector being designed as a search/spot light with a concentrated narrow beam. Mine is designed as a flood with no spot, so the light is at a wide 90 degrees. From my 2nd story balcony it will illuminate 1 1/2 acres of my back yard and the entire home of my neighbor, 300' away.

Using incandescent as a base, yours produces the lumen output of 100 watts. I use (3) 15 watt LEDs and at the 10X efficiency advantage produce the same lumens as a 450 watt incandescent.

Old 03-27-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Come into my anchorage with that landing light blasting, and you are probably going to be buying a replacement. Nothing ruins a quiet night of stargazing faster than somebody who thinks he needs a light that can be seen from space. Worse, it is always a narrow lens handheld light that jiggles and joggles and flits around with every movement at the helm, making sure that everyone's night vision is ruined and their privacy invaded.

You are in a boat that travels at 5-7 knots max, so illuminating dangers 10-15 minutes out is overkill.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Old 03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Come into my anchorage with that landing light blasting, and you are probably going to be buying a replacement. Nothing ruins a quiet night of stargazing faster than somebody who thinks he needs a light that can be seen from space. Worse, it is always a narrow lens handheld light that jiggles and joggles and flits around with every movement at the helm, making sure that everyone's night vision is ruined and their privacy invaded.

You are in a boat that travels at 5-7 knots max, so illuminating dangers 10-15 minutes out is overkill.
Shouldn't even bother you. In a shallow anchorage I would be illuminating the sea bed from an angle, so the reflected light will travel skyward at the same angle, leaving my fellow hook neighbors unaffected.