Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-29-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: The Poop (deck) on Camping Toilets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I would think that the Boy Scouts would be at least as smart as a common house pet. Even a cat knows that if you don't cover your poop it's going to continue to stink.
Many's the day in my youth, sitting astride one of those Scout camp outhouses trying not to breathe through my nose, that I too pondered the shortcomings of the design.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Back in the day (and yes I lived in a house with an out house) we had a bucket of lime to give the "deposits" a daily sprinkle..other than in super hot muggy no wind weather....Kept smell to reasonable/liveable levels...

BTW... I still have a functionable outhouse, that gets use from time to time...
Attached Thumbnails
The Poop (deck) on Camping Toilets!-216962.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Wow! RTFM folks.

3 step toilet use... Sadly this actual process (less descriptive) is written on the lid of the Thetford toilet in my horse trailer (which has a 29 gallon holding tank directly below)

1.Before USING... pump BOWL full of water, yes, kind of like home!
2.Do your business (yep this stinks)
3.Pull flush tab, liquids and ehm solids go together (yep that stinks until it's closed again). If you exceed the bowl capacity (poor fella), you might want to "go in stages."

Sticky solids less likely to be happening if you use some of the "anti-stink" in the water for flushing as well, because it's slickeryer than just water. It also cuts down on the overall smell during the flush.

Get a porta pottie, make the crew happier. Give the ladies (kids and everyone else) the, "please go potty before we leave the dock speech." This should minimize the use of the portable. If you are out for so much time that it HAS to be used, then you might benefit from a permanent fixed potty with a separate tank (which by the way are no different than these self contained ones, other than the distance to the tank, and perhaps a more pressurized water spraying the bowl, both nice features).

As for mounting the pottie? These things are used in campers too, so someone already thought of that. They all have a built in ledge around them for either A) screwing them into the floorboards, or a B) pocket for a strap to secure them to the floorboards. Even my little Thetford cheapy has a pretty robust flange to screw into.

My boat has a slightly raised platform for a portable head, it's got a 2 inch lip around the area, that keeps the potty in place. It also has the tabs already screwed in place to just turn the tabs to hold the potty in place onto the flange (no need to screw in).

For the record, I don't recommend using any of these devices at 25 degrees of heel, and it ain't because of the potty slipping, um OK?

Once you're under 10 degrees of heel they are usually just fine (just watch for the wave pounding), and you don't get christened by the bowl water then.

I've not even bothered to secure mine in, as the 2 inch lip around the pottie, keeps in place (been to 35 degrees of heel so far). Oh, and I should point out, I have a board that sits JUST above my pottie that while not in use, holds the top down as well. Only while in use does this board lift up (hinged), and the thought process is, someone will hold the potty down when that occurs.

Never thought I'd have to go into this much detail on how a porta-pottie worked.

As for the boy scouts... Yep, summer camp they dug a latrine roughly 3 feet deep (part of a merit badge I believe), moved the houses over it... used it for the week, at the end of the week we were required to fill it back with soil. Ah the good ole days.

Now a days you likely have to have an EPA permit to use a Johnny on the Spot near a boy scout camp.
Old 08-29-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you have room, but we installed a C-Head and we have no regrets. No smell and no problems and it was just under $500.00 with shipping. It's footprint is about 1 1/2 times the size of a 5 gallon bucket. If you want to read about our decision on our website you can see it here- Landfall Voyages » Day 10: The **** Diaries, Golden Showers and ****

We scavenged a small fan from a dead inverter later to ventilate, it's vented through our old waste deck fill, we screw the top back on if there's a chance of any water getting in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2012

kjones is on a distinguished road

Has anyone made a gimbaled toilet yet?
Old 08-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I have a hard enough time trying to hit a stationary toilet in a rocking boat...