Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2012

Windkiller is on a distinguished road
The Poop (deck) on Camping Toilets!

I've a little pocket cruiser with a cabin but no head.
I was thinking about getting a porta potty camping toilet unit. The square ones with the little flusher etc.
I'm wondering if this won't end up being more of a messy pain in the @$$ than a useful convenience. A bucket seems a much more streamlined solution.(and it could be used for bailing and sand castles)

Anybody have any experience with these units?
And how are they to clean(ick) if you use them...uh ..for ones and twos..oh yeah "solid waste" ? (that's the term I'm looking for)

Are they environmentally happy?...I'm pretty sure fish and sea mamals don't use them!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: The Poop (deck) on Camping Toilets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windkiller View Post
I was thinking about getting a porta potty camping toilet unit. The square ones with the little flusher etc.
I'm wondering if this won't end up being more of a messy pain in the @$$ than a useful convenience. A bucket seems a much more streamlined solution.(and it could be used for bailing and sand castles)

Your, uhm, cedar bucket does double duty for building sand castles? Remind me not to bring my kids to your next beach excursion
Old 03-30-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Have a simple pump flush porta, and they aren't bad. The chemicals are relatively cheap, and emptying is pretty straightforward. We have an RV type horse trailer we have a macerator for it, and pump directly into my house septic. From now on my "solid waste" disposal will also dump into the vertical 6 inch pipe to my septic as well.

But honestly it isn't bad. NO we don't do use it for solids much, but it's nice to know it's there if it's needed, stink doesn't seem to be a problem. Setting up the water reserve is necessary for "flushing." I think my unit is a thetford, and didn't cost much more than $60.
Old 03-30-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windkiller View Post

Anybody have any experience with these units?
And how are they to clean(ick) if you use them...uh ..for ones and twos..oh yeah "solid waste" ? (that's the term I'm looking for)

Are they environmentally happy?...I'm pretty sure fish and sea mamals don't use them!
Sand castle building aside, you would be much better off with a simple plastic bucket with lid and sawdust for cover material.
A friend of mine has a port-a-potty and it's fine when it's closed up, but it stinks to high heaven whenever anyone opens it up to use it. Even when sailing, standing in the cockpit, it's nauseating.
A bucket when the contents are covered after each use, does not stink at all.
Buckets are cheap or free. Sawdust is abundant and usually free. Port-a-potties cost money and are inferior in every way.

This is not an opinion, it is a fact. I've used a bucket for over two years now and would never go back. I would recommend that you procure a seat for comfort however. The rim of the bucket is not made for sitting on.
Old 03-30-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Warning! Sexist Generalizations Ahead! Warning!

If it's just you, use a bucket. If it's just you and your brother, use a bucket.

If you expect to lure lady friends onto your boat (they smell pretty!) you might (at the very least) give each of them their own bucket.

Or: "...yeah there's a bucket down below. Be careful taking the lid off. Be careful sitting on it. I really hope the boat doesn't pitch while you're down there.. no guarantees.."

I think we've all been using a 'proper' head at sea and had our bottoms washed by own own 'product' (diluted with water of course!); I'd like it even less with someone else's.

My last boat had a port-o-potti and I maintained and emptied it for the comfort of my guests. If it was just me (and my bro')? Bucket.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012

Windkiller is on a distinguished road

That should be "Hard a starboard sexist generalization ahead"

That's for the most part probably true
Though my lady friend who owns and rides horses was more use to using a bucket than me when I took her out sailing. Another female friend I had peed off the back of my mutineer dinghy once...she was an ex gymnast and it sure helped.
My current girlfriend will pee in a bucket if she was an enclosed cabin but doesn't want to me to see the results ..not that I want to ..but pee is pee, mine yours, who cares..only when it splashes on you does it get funny that way..,,whew
perhaps a bit too personal
Maybe I'll put off the porta potty purchase.
Old 03-30-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Not to go off on a tangerine here, but I just remembered this line:

On a scale of 1-10...urinate.
I hope I didn't piss anybody off.

knotty has good advice on creative composting crapper construction. just because it IS a bucket of sawdust doesn't mean it has to LOOK like a bucket of sawdust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Not to go off on a tangerine here, but I just remembered this line:

On a scale of 1-10...urinate.
I hope I didn't piss anybody off.

knotty has good advice on creative composting crapper construction. just because it IS a bucket of sawdust doesn't mean it has to LOOK like a bucket of sawdust.
Now THAT's funny!

We're thinking about the same thing. I just bought an Olson 30, and the one we picked (the more solid of the three) happens to not have a port-a-potty. One that we didn't pick, did- and it seemed like it might not scare off a female sailing with us (my wife and a handful of others we have on occasion). It's nice for them to not have to use a bucket (with sawdust or anything else), but something that resembles a regular toilet for creature-comforts' sake, if nothing else. I think $60 is well worth it for them, so we'll be searching for brands of those as well-- as long as they can be secured. The trick of how to secure them forward of the v-berth bulkhead is another matter, but we welcome suggestions as well.

Ray
Old 03-30-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

We use a Thetford brand portable toilet on our Catalina 309. We bought the boat new, and took out the holding tank and porcelain toilet after one season. We got tired of having it pumped out. And got got tired of not knowing when it was just about full. And we got tired of the fact that it didn't really handle solid waste. C'mon, the opening at the bottom of the toilet is about the size of a half dollar...great for hamsters, I guess.

I used to have a portable toilet on my old 26 footer and had learned that they work great. We don't seem to have to empty it any more often than we had to pump out the holding tank. Really. And it's easy and clean to empty. You carry it like a briefcase, and a pipe swings out when you're ready to dump it into a shore toilet. Not messy.

I disagree about the smell. All you have to do is use the portable toilet chemical, and you won't have odors. If you use the toilet, and then don't use your boat for a couple weeks, there can be some smell. Just add some more chemical or empty it.

Our portable toilet cost about seventy bucks. So think about it...I can NEVER have a repair that cost me more than seventy bucks. And after 5 seasons of use, I've had no problems. Never had a problem with the toilet on my old boat either.

Do a search on this site for holding tanks or smell, and you'll see that holding tank systems on boats are a source of problems.

Overall, we greatly prefer the portable toilet over the holding tank system for the day, weekend, and occasional 1-2 week cruising we do. It's not for everyone, but I think the portables get a bad rap simply because people equate them with small boats or camping and think they don't belong on a proper yacht.
Old 03-30-2012

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell

I have to agree with Siamese... if you add the proper chemicals, there is no smell...On my mirage 24, I changed from a holding tank system to a portable toilet. Worked out great. I had an issue one day out sailing in heavey winds, I did not secure the toilet down properly and it fliped over. What a mess.....but that was my own fault.