Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Battery

The boat I'm trying to commission has two batteries. One is completely dead and one is low.
I dropped them off at the Advanced Auto Parts store because they have that fancy battery tester.

It they will not pass muster AA has this battery on sale:
Buy Autocraft Marine 12-Volt Marine/RV Deep-Cycle Service Battery 24DC-1 at Advance Auto Parts

I would like to buy from them as they are close and can do the testing.
The battery can't be anything special it is only $70.00
But this is a weekend boat at best and I'm thinking that since the maintenance is probably going to be so bad a good battery would probably be killed in three years if I get her this cheap battery and it lasts two years it is probably not a bad deal.

Do you guys go cheap or get top rated batteries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Battery

"The battery can't be anything special it is only $70.00"

It is also a group 24 battery, although 'deep cycle' with no stated amp hours rating. Plenty of ratings for cranking an engine though so if all your clients are doing is starting the engine now and then and a few low draw appliances now and then, why not? The boat's engine will likely start for a few years and your name will be Golden.

"Can't see it from my boat!" meaning I wouldn't likely buy that small group 24 battery.

If it was my boat I'd consider replacing both batteries at once. I'd also likely spring for group 27 batteries if the battery boxes would take them. I had to buy a pair of batts for my boat last summer in a rush and paid top $ at WM for 2 gr. 27's (>$300). You can do quite a bit better then that if you shop around a bit.

If your clients like to spend many nights aboard the boat then 6V golf cart batteries might be an option for the house bank - but your clients don't sound like they do that too often. Lots of amp hours (aH) in a golf cart battery. String 2 of them in parallel and viola (if the battery box holds them).

Edit to add: We got 6+ years out of a pair of gr. 27 deep cycle marine batteries from WM before replacing them last summer. I'd still shop around at other places.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 03-30-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Battery

davidpm:
I was in the same situation in July of 2007 when I was commissioning our new (to us) Paceship 32/28. Both batteries were suspect and I decided not to mess around and just start with a new pair. I went with Wal-Mart Marine Batteries, one deep cycle/starting and one regular deep cycle.

I too figured I'd be lucky to get a couple of years out of them the way they would be used. I removed them from the boat the first winter and stored them in my basement for 6+ months without any trickle charging or anything. I put them on the charger just before launching the boat for the 2008 season. Worked fine all summer/fall.

Left them on the boat (with no trickle charger) while it was on the hard the second winter (Superior Wisconsin = REALLY COLD) and didn't get a chance to charge them before launch. Engine started right up! Batteries performed well all summer.

Followed the same program the past two seasons with the same batteries. Same result.

So now we are preparing for our 6th season. The batteries have been on the boat, on the hard all winter with no trickle charger. I will launch in May or June, do not plan on charging them before launch and have no reason to believe these batteries won't be functional once again this year.

Also worth mentioning - I have only had to add water to each of them once or twice over the past 5 seasons.

If I remember correctly, I paid 50-some dollars each for them in 2007.

I am extremely satisfied with their performance and don't figure they owe me anything at this point.

Mobnets
davidpm likes this.
Old 03-31-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
If your clients like to spend many nights aboard the boat then 6V golf cart batteries might be an option for the house bank - but your clients don't sound like they do that too often. Lots of amp hours (aH) in a golf cart battery. String 2 of them in parallel and viola (if the battery box holds them).Caleb D
You want to connect two 6 volt in series to create 1- 12 volt. That will give roughly 220 amp hours with 110 usable. Perfect for a weekend boat, 6 volts have many more deep cycles available. 2 Group 27 in parallel give 200 ah roughly.

I tend to go with a higher quality here as you get what you pay for. Replace both and have two of the same kind with same life on both or the weak will draw down the strong. Need to equalize every so often to increase battery life.

I would not scimp on battery power as it leaves you alternatives to add devices vs being limited by your choice.

This is a simplistic battery explaination. There are many posts concerning batteries and their care and charging. It is one of the most talked about sytems on sailnet, next to anchoring of course.

Dave

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-31-2012

Thanks Caleb and others. I forgot to mention that the small batteries just barely fit in the current place so getting larger would mean some rework.

The fact that they say marine but don't have the amp hour rating is a giveaway that they are not really marine.
Old 03-31-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

And that they are probably not deep cycle batteries. Deep cycle batteries if from a reputable manufacturer will list amp hours @ 20 hour rate. Rarely does a deep cycle battery list cranking amps as it is not applicable to a deep cycle battery.
Old 03-31-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

It's hard to give good advice without knowing what kind of boat you have and what your electrical needs are.
Old 03-31-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

1990 Beneteau 32s5 I believe.
Old 03-31-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Costco has a bunch of marine battery's and mine are fine after 1 full year

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
It's hard to give good advice without knowing what kind of boat you have and what your electrical needs are.
Of course, I should have been more specific.

I frankly don't care what the electrical needs are. It is a weekender at best. It has been working apparently OK for over 20 years. It is not my boat, I'm just helping a lady out that I barely know so I'm not about to do any engineering.

I guess what I'm really asking is if for the same $70 I can get a battery that is a lot better I would do so.
As Caleb astutely mentioned the battery at the auto store does not have an amp hour rating which makes it suspect.

My suspicion is that the real value of a battery is in the raw materials, not much new engineering on old style wet cells. If that is the case I suspect a $70 battery for any chain should be about the same. It's the exceptions that I'm interested in.

Last edited by davidpm; 03-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.