Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked 184 Times in 181 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Re: What's so special about Silicone dielectric grease?
Thanks for the clarification! No-Ox sounds like the better way to go, but at this point I'm still a silicone grease fan. Doesn't just last a long time, lasts 'forever'.
"you'll have some of that insulating grease between the post and cable akin to a thin film of insulating plastic between the connections. Wouldn't that be a bad thing?" Yes, that would be a bad thing. Except, when you snug down the connection the grease is displaced and there is a metal-to-metal contact which carries the connection. You only have grease between the surfaces where the metals aren't really in contact, or if you haven't tightened them down.
If there's no concern about current leakage from one wire to the next, by all means use anitseize or some other metal-doped goop instead. Personally, I think either will work well at preventing corrosion, but I like the idea that the silicone grease simply can't create any trace current leaks, or shorts of any kind. From telephone jacks to battery cables, it has worked well for me. No complaints at all.