SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gelcoat sealants & silicone (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/85657-gelcoat-sealants-silicone.html)

preservedkillick 03-31-2012 07:27 AM

Gelcoat sealants & silicone

Hi everyone,

I've finally had the time to focus on the 60 feet of 1965 era gelcoat hull on my 30 foot Alberg. Thanks to Bar Keepers Friend, all the stains are gone and is starting to look pretty good. Plenty of nicks and scratches after all these year, but I'll ignore those for now. I'm just looking to get it white and shiny.

I still need to polish a bit more to bring up the shine, but afterwards I need something to seal the gelcoat. It seems that others are happy with wax but I'd like to try a polymer sealant. I've been using Fleetwax paste the last couple years and I don't like it. When it gets warm, even in Maine, it gets soft and picks up dirt. By August it looks like a dirty floor and is difficult to clean.

Anyway, when looking into the polymer sealants (Nu-Finish) and others, it appears that they all contain silicone, which I'd like to avoid since I may eventually give up the battle and paint the topsides. However, now that I'm looking into it, it appears that silicone is used in many, if not most compounding, polishing, wax and sealing products.

Anyone know of a gelcoat sealant that does not contain silicone? I'm also wondering if these silicone emulsion products are simply easier to clean from the surface than silicone sealant.

PK

tommays 03-31-2012 08:43 AM

Re: Gelcoat sealants & silicone

My boat never stays clean a full season with good gelcoat or good Awlgrip :)

As i finish my spring prep i am amazed how much black dirt the tan Awlgrip picked up in my driveway over the winter sitting there in the rain minding its own business :) BUT it does wash right off with ease

eherlihy 03-31-2012 10:01 AM

Some 3M and most Presta products are water based, and contain no oils, or Silocone.

jrd22 03-31-2012 11:08 AM

I've been using Fleetwax for a couple of years now and have never experienced what you said about it getting soft and picking up dirt. Maybe it doesn't get hot enough here but I've been very happy with it.

raisin56 03-31-2012 10:01 PM

I use Finish First Polish Marine Formula
Finish First Polish

I met Paul at the boat show a couple of years ago and he runs this e-bay store with better pricing.

Category 1 items in The Finish First Polish store on eBay!

Great results with this product. I use it on my truck too.

I have no interest in this product or sites other than a satisfied customer.

Dan

KeelHaulin 04-02-2012 05:03 AM

I have had success with the Island Girl line of gelcoat sealants. It's not cheap but it does work well. I did the two step process of applying the product called Elixir first and then a second stage called Mirror Hard. This was after buffing out the hull with a polisher and compound (which they say is not necessary; but was faster than rubbing out by hand with the Elixir product).

I applied this last spring. I hauled the boat in February and expected to need to polish out the hull again with the buffer. To my surprise, the hull was not in need of a major re-do. It had a chalky film of salt deposits and chalking gelcoat from my deck which has not been sealed or re-painted. Use of the Island Girl Pink cleaner diluted in water removed the chalking and did not remove any gelcoat. Once cleaned I re-applied the Elixir and it looks like new again. I should have just re-applied the Mirror Hard and been done. I'm waiting for warmer weather to do that job now that the boat is back in the water. All of their products wipe on and off easily. This product does not build up or yellow like Poli-Glow. Here is a link to their website:

Island Girl System - Cleaning and Restoration Products for your car, RV, Boat, Aircraft, shoes & more

I forgot to mention... The gelcoat on my boat is ~33 years old; and the IGP makes the boat look like it is newly painted.

miatapaul 04-02-2012 09:11 PM

If you really want it to be silicone free, look for the words "body shop safe" normally means no silicone. But I am not aware of any synthetics that don not contain at least some.