SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Boot strip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/85660-boot-strip.html)

patrscoe 03-31-2012 11:29 AM

Boot strip

I need to repaint my boot strip a different color and thinking of an alternative to painting.
Has any one used vinyl instead of paint?

jgeissinger 03-31-2012 11:40 AM

Re: Boot strip

I used a vinyl tape stripe from WM 12 years ago and it's still there and looks just fine. And yes, I've painted the bottom several times, just masking the tape stripe.

CorvetteGuy 03-31-2012 11:47 AM

I used vinyl on our water line about 8 years ago. If applied correctly will out last paint and the application is quite simple. Would recomend it.:)

sailingfool 03-31-2012 01:34 PM

A big draw back of tape is you cannot vary the width of the stripe to adjust for the curvature of the hull, causing the stripe width to look narrow at the bow and stern. If the current stripe does not make this adjustment, then I guess you wont lose anything.

I personally would not use tape.

Tempest 03-31-2012 02:43 PM

It took me 3 seasons chipping away at it to remove the Cove stripe tape that had long ago worn out, faded, cracked and peeled. It was the biggest PIA job I've had to do, to date. Once the removal was complete I painted a new cove stripe. I never want to see tape and glue again.

That said, I'm guessing the original gold tape cove stripe probably lasted 15 years.

patrscoe 03-31-2012 03:35 PM

Our sailboat has a green theme. We in the process of converting to a Navy color. (Helps to have a wife that is very good at sewering along with her sister).
In reference to the bootstrip, seems to be a split, some like it and some don't.... I notice that some new sailboats have a vinyl boot strip which brought up this decision.

SloopJonB 03-31-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 853018)
A big draw back of tape is you cannot vary the width of the stripe to adjust for the curvature of the hull, causing the stripe width to look narrow at the bow and stern. If the current stripe does not make this adjustment, then I guess you wont lose anything.

I personally would not use tape.

SF is correct - a bootstripe can vary by 50% or even more in width so it appears the same width, particularly under the stern. If this isn't done correctly it will appear to narrow down at the end - it looks "insipid" and amateurish.

Tape works well for cove stripes but a boot should be gelcoat or paint to look right.

patrscoe 04-02-2012 08:30 AM

I think you're right, it would most likely look amateurish once completed. The bootstrip will need to go up and then around the stern.
Back to painting.

SimonV 04-02-2012 08:37 AM

I have seen a vinyl boot stripe come off when hauled and pressure washed.

Ritchard 04-02-2012 04:04 PM

In response to Tempests post above, I recently removed some accent striping prior to a repaint of both the cove and boot stripes. I simply used the heat gun. Warm up the glue a little bit and it comes right off - though you want to be careful not to overheat the vinyl to where it begins to melt and it breaks. I took off nearly 200 feet of stripe in about 2 hours - and a good bit of that was repositioning ladders.

A little acetone or MEK afterwards and the glue is gone.