Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Running rigging madness

I was headed toward Cajun Ropes, but I've read some talk of excess stretch. When I look at their recommended sizing chart, they suggest lines substantially larger than the manufacturer.

I was then settling onto New England Ropes VPC for jib and main sheets, but just found they don't make the 5/8" or 16mm size I need for the jib sheet. It may be strong enough when smaller, but that is the correct size for the winch.

I'm going mad..........

I've read Practical Sailors review, which hit exactly the points I'm interested in: handling, winch use (grip and hockle) and abrasion. Are there any other published tests?

What I'm really interested in are good solid cruising lines. Need dyneema for halyards only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Running rigging madness

" It may be strong enough when smaller, but that is the correct size for the winch."
What type of winch, self-tailing? Spec'd only and exactly for 16mm with no toelerances for range??

For cruising use, stretch on running rigging shouldn't be an issue since you can take up a little slack and you will be taking the stretch out of the lines are you pull them in. But you know THE RULE, don't you?

Even if what you want exists, it will only be in stock in Barbie Pink. With silver sparkles.
Old 03-31-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

I've used NE StaSet New England Ropes - Product Details
for many years for jib sheets and would see no reason to look for anything else. Seems to come in a good supply of sizes.

I thought most ST winches will handle a wide range of line sizes, what makes just 5/8 the right size?
Old 03-31-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

When I replaced my lines, I got rid of ALL sta-set and went with Sampsons XLS extra. Same sizes, some I went smaller as it is about 50% stronger diam for diam, Stretch at 30% for the xls is .8%, the staset stretched 4% at 20% IIRC the stretch specs. Cost for the upgrade was 170-200% of the cost s staset. XLS does have a dynema core, does not hold as much water when wet. Handles fine etc. When the breeze pipes up, there is no having to constantly adjust the lines, as they do not stretch as much etc.

The XLS also come is a very noticable color options. As such, I have the white with blue for the main halyard, sheet, red and blue for jib sheets/halyards, Green and blue for the spin gear. other lines for the main are blue, red for the jib and green oriented for the spin. I do have the starboar jib halyard green, vs the port being red. They do go to opposite sides of the cabin top.

I do have some staset equal for what I would call lower load bearing items, but even then, I try for dynema due to the lower sponge part of the equation vs staset. I guess grabbing wetter lines is not my cup of tea.

Marty
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by blt2ski; 03-31-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming.

NER Sta-set X was also on my list, but according to their website, isn't made over 1/2".

Yes, my Harken 66s will technically take smaller lines than 5/8". I've always operated by having lines about a size below the max the self tailor will accommodate. Better grip, better lie around the drum, better line handling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-31-2012

Here's a thought. If I stayed with the Sta-set or Cajun Ropes XLE or Samson XLS, maybe if I upsized the jib sheet, it would perform better? Stretch is a function of working load or strength, so maybe go to a 3/4" jib sheet and stay with the poly lines that wear better and feel better? The winch will accept up to 13/16" line, just not sure about the turning block.

Crazy?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-31-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Here's a thought. If I stayed with the Sta-set or Cajun Ropes XLE or Samson XLS, maybe if I upsized the jib sheet, it would perform better? Stretch is a function of working load or strength, so maybe go to a 3/4" jib sheet and stay with the poly lines that wear better and feel better? The winch will accept up to 13/16" line, just not sure about the turning block.

Crazy?
Bigger line has a nicer hand. I've always used the biggest I can, within reason. 3/4"' sheets would be very easy to grip and the weight difference isn't a factor since they aren't up the mast.

There are spec sheets available on the web that detail minimum block diameters for different size lines.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-01-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

3/4" line is about 18 lbs per 100' vs 9/16 at 9-10 lbs. So double the wt, and maybe double the breaking strength.

I'd still go with a smaller stronger, less stretch line, probably as cheap as 9/16" basic yacht braid that is called for.

marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 04-01-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2012

Thanks Marty, I saw your thorough reply on Jeanneau Owners. (a little thick that I hadn't made the connection). Our upsized 16mm (5/8") lines are heavy, but have 16,000 lbs of strength, which seems to be well oversized for the loads. But they are heavy and I think I would do well with a lighter line. I'm not too worried about the weight of the halyards, as the difference is only a few lbs spread along a 70 ft mast. I will get dyneema for the halyards for the stretch, although, with furling sails, I'm not sure that is as much an issue either.

Now on to abrasion resistance. Practical Sailor rates Samson XLS and Warpspeed as excellent abrasion resistance, which is most important for the jib sheets. they take a real beating on the shrouds, etc. For some reason XLS extra doesn't rate as well for abrasion.

That's to all for the help.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 04-01-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Is stretch anything to be concerned about in a cruising boat? See New England Ropes - Pleasure Marine Technology. My rough take of stretch, is if wind pressure increased from 10 to 15, guessing loads from 2000 lbs to 4000lbs, a 20' sheet would stretch approximately 2". When closehauled, I bet not too many 50' cruising boats have crews that adjust the trim give or take 2".