SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hull & Deck Painting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/85792-hull-deck-painting.html)

casey1999 04-04-2012 02:08 PM

Hull & Deck Painting

On my boat the previous owner had the hull and deck painted. Paint is in poor condition and plan to repaint with a 2 part epoxy.

If I take a rag with acetone on it the deck paint will immediately come off easily onto the rag. The non skid on the deck is imprinted into the glass and is deep (sanding would not be practical). What should I do to prep the deck for two part epoxy?

When the acetone rag is wiped on the painted hull- no paint comes off. The hull was probably painted with a two part epoxy, but not sure. How should the hull be prepped.
Regards

Faster 04-04-2012 02:31 PM

Re: Hull & Deck Painting

I would think you'll want to use a solvent wash to try to get rid of the deck paint.. something nasty and more powerful that acetone (Interlux has several, wear the proper respirators)

As for the hull paint, I'd get a small sample of the paint you intend to use, and apply a small amount (somewhere less visible.. under the counter maybe?) and let it set up to see if the underlying paint is attacked.. if it seems stable and the surface is otherwise smooth then a scuff sand might be all you need. You may still want to consider primer first, but I'd consult the paint supplier about that.

casey1999 04-04-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 854519)
I would think you'll want to use a solvent wash to try to get rid of the deck paint.. something nasty and more powerful that acetone (Interlux has several, wear the proper respirators)

As for the hull paint, I'd get a small sample of the paint you intend to use, and apply a small amount (somewhere less visible.. under the counter maybe?) and let it set up to see if the underlying paint is attacked.. if it seems stable and the surface is otherwise smooth then a scuff sand might be all you need. You may still want to consider primer first, but I'd consult the paint supplier about that.

Thanks faster- sounds like a good plan.
Regards

Faster 04-04-2012 02:48 PM

One other thought.. the more powerful solvent(s) may indeed attack the hull coating.. watch for that if it runs off the deck...

mitiempo 04-04-2012 11:22 PM

Most good paints are polyurethanes like Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip, and Alexseal. Epoxy paint isn't very common for good reason - it chalks quickly and colors fade faster than other types of paint in my experience.

Beersmith 04-05-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 854706)
Most good paints are polyurethanes like Interlux Perfection, Awlgrip, and Alexseal. Epoxy paint isn't very common for good reason - it chalks quickly and colors fade faster than other types of paint in my experience.

seconded.

check out my deck paint job using Interlux Perfection:

First Coat of Interlux Perfection on the Deck | The Quest for Wind and Waves

casey1999 04-05-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beersmith (Post 854806)
seconded.

check out my deck paint job using Interlux Perfection:

First Coat of Interlux Perfection on the Deck | The Quest for Wind and Waves

Thanks for information- bookmarked your site. Like you I am not looking for somthing perfect, just look a little better and protect the boat. Your job looks great.
Regards

CruiseICW 04-06-2012 01:46 PM

Thanks Beersmith. Nice website.

misfits 04-06-2012 04:38 PM

Nice job Beersmith. I'm undertaking this project this year, found your site very helpful!

Beersmith 04-11-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruiseICW (Post 855361)
Thanks Beersmith. Nice website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by casey1999 (Post 854935)
Thanks for information- bookmarked your site. Like you I am not looking for somthing perfect, just look a little better and protect the boat. Your job looks great.
Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by misfits (Post 855404)
Nice job Beersmith. I'm undertaking this project this year, found your site very helpful!

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy the write-ups!