Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
House Batterys

You power buffs out there please let me know if these are good house batteries? I picked up four at a great price. They are gel-filled and hold a great charge. here is a link.
I have 2 that are 12FAT155
12v 155AH/10 to 1.75VPC@77 degrease F

Then I have 2
12V 100AH/8h to 1.75 vpc@77 degrease F
Float Voltage 13.56V
Here is the link
Please let me know what you know of them. i would like to put them in the C&C30 MK1 as house batteries
I will only be using 2. either the 155's or the 100's
Oh and do i need all this power for weekends on the boat? I was told th charge them on 5 to 15 amp. Does that mean i can use the alternator? or do I have to use the shore power charger?
Thanks for your help

http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/12FAT155.pdf
http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/12FAT100.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: House Batterys

Make sure your battery charger can be switched over to the "GEL" setting otherwise your new batteries won't last as long as you'd like.
Old 04-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

lt, as the man said, make Real Damn Sure your entire charging system is set to the correct voltage for gel batteries. Gel is good, but will be quickly and permanently RUINED if you hook them up to a conventional wet cell charging system. Alternator, charger, solar panel, doesn't matter. Anything hooked up to them must be set to the lower than normal voltage that gel cells need, or they will quickly be cooked and ruined.

The good news is that if you do this, they will provide more power, longer, than wet cells. And they won't give you acid burns.
ltgoshen likes this.
Old 04-07-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
You power buffs out there please let me know if these are good house batteries? I picked up four at a great price. They are gel-filled and hold a great charge. here is a link.
I have 2 that are 12FAT155
12v 155AH/10 to 1.75VPC@77 degrease F

Then I have 2
12V 100AH/8h to 1.75 vpc@77 degrease F
Float Voltage 13.56V
Here is the link
Please let me know what you know of them. i would like to put them in the C&C30 MK1 as house batteries
I will only be using 2. either the 155's or the 100's
Oh and do i need all this power for weekends on the boat? I was told th charge them on 5 to 15 amp. Does that mean i can use the alternator? or do I have to use the shore power charger?
Thanks for your help

http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/12FAT155.pdf
http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/12FAT100.pdf
Just remember that those batteries are rated at the UPS 8 hour rate or C8. If trying to program a battery monitor you will need to know the C20 rate or the 20 hour Ah rating. UPS batteries are often rated at the 8 hour discharge rate not the 20 hour rate as almost all deep cycle batteries are. That battery can be discharged at 19.4A for 8 hours before hitting 1.75V per cell or 10.5V as a battery. You would need to contact the manufacturer for the 20 hour Ah rating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-07-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Would be wise to return for refund if possible. Your best solution is likely a basic, deep cycle lead acid battery. Search function on this site will lead you to the info you need.

Based on your demands you might:

a. Use a single 12v lead acid deep cycle for all your needs
b. Use a single 12v lead acid starter battery for a reserve starter and a separate battery bank for the house. Could be a single 12v deep cycle, or two 6v golf cart batteries wired for 12 volts.

Based on your post, I'm thinking you want it to be inexpensive and simple. With that in mind, you probably want to avoid gel or AGM batteries.

If you give a description of your typical needs (daysail, cruise?...refrigerator? Anchoring overnight?) then you'll get some excellent advice on which batteries will serve.
Old 04-07-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Would be wise to return for refund if possible. Your best solution is likely a basic, deep cycle lead acid battery. Search function If you give a description of your typical needs (daysail, cruise?...refrigerator? Anchoring overnight?) then you'll get some excellent advice on which batteries will serve.
The truth is. I got 4 for free and if it cant us them maybe I should sell them or trade them.
I have weekend and day sailing in mind for this boat. I dont have big power demands thus far. I was hoping to use them for the house needs. I will take your advise and get rid if them. I was just hoping for free they would meet those needs.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Whoa whoa, whoa... before you get rid of them, let's make sure that there is no way to integrate them into your system. I don't know Jack Schmidt about this stuff, so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Otherwise, I will be forced to make stuff up. We don't want that.
ltgoshen likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Free is a good price.

short story: my 31 footer's on her sixth season and the batteries were due for replacement. Manufacturer supplied her with a "dual purpose" (starter/deep cycle) group 27 12v starter battery and a 4d 12v deep cycle for the house. I was ready to simply replace with identical until I started studying on this site. There is much to be learned relatively easily by searching here...pay particularly close to anything Maine Sail has to say about batteries.

Knowledge gained here led me to a group 24 marine starting battery (NOT deep cycle and NOT maintenance free...just a basic lead acid battery). The group 24 is slightly smaller than the group 27 I had and is plenty for a battery that will only be there for starting and will be kept charged up at all times.

For the house bank, instead of the big 4D battery, in the same footprint you can fit two 6v golf cart batteries, and have the benefit of more amp hours than the 4D provides. They're also more "deep cycle" capable than 4D batteries that claim to be deep cycle. Just cable them together for 12 volts. Cables available at genuinedealz.com. I'll use the cart batteries to run the house (lights, anchor light, fridge). Will also use them for starting...the group 24 will really just be for emergency starting.

I got my batteries as Sam's Club....Duracell brand made by Eastern Penn...good batteries. $60 for the group 24 and $72 each for the cart batteries.

Your search will alert you to the fact that AGM and gel batteries have some requirements that make them impractical for many boaters, and very good for some....based on their chargers and alternator output, etc. With conventional lead acid batteries, the charging requirements are simpler and more forgiving.

If you don't care to do the golf cart batteries, and your needs are low...no fridge?....then you could get by fine with a 12volt Group 27 deep cycle lead acid battery for the house. Don't get a "no maintenance".

I'm just parroting what I've learned from others on this site, and while I don't know a lot about batteries, a month ago I knew NOTHING. Info on this site resulted in a battery setup that kicks butt for not a lot of money. The addition of the Victron battery monitor was icing on the cake, but that's another story. So my humble point is, if you're not real battery savvy right now, this site will get you there in a hurry.

If you want to get the job done and worry about getting further informed down the road, then you can't go wrong with what I've described, and any fine tuning or ?s you might have will get handled by the folks on Sailnet.
mikeg516 likes this.
Old 04-07-2012
First String

"Free is a good price"
Well? maybe not so much. I donít want to have a big deal with the power on the boat. It sounds like a lot of trouble to use any of the 4 free batteries I was given today? I have one multi-purpose marine batt on the boat now, The boat had a 4D on board when i purchased her, but to will not take a charge. I have been dreading forking out the $350. to replace it. I mentioned this the other day in the shop when a fellow employee said I may have what you need. So, today I went and picked up the 4 free batteries. I donít want to change the complete charging system on the boat just to be able to use the free batteries, unless it is the cheeper way to go in the long run. Here is the TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
Capacities: 155 AH at C8 to 1.75 VPC at 25ļC
Recommended Float Voltage: 13.56 V
Temperature Compensation: -15mV/ļC
Recommended Charge Voltage: 13.56 VMaximum Charge Current: 38 A
Self-Discharge at 77įF (25įC): <2% per month
Short Circuit Current: 3200 A
Internal Resistance: 3.9 mohm
Weight: 132.28 lb. (60.0 kg)
Terminals: M8 top and M6 front
Terminal Torque: 65-70 in. lbs (7.3-8.0 Nm)

So this 13.56 volt recommendation is different than what my alternator will charge at? There on a 12V BOMAR charger mounted to the boat as well. Not sure how to use it yet. I think its for shore power to charge the battery?
So, still learning a lot. I have the 4 batteries they are all holding a great charge? Not sure what to do. Maybe I will just keep reading for a while. If I was to change over the charging system, I would have to get rid on the multi-purpose battery on there now? I think what you are saying its too big of a deal. I am not looking for trouble. I just got a great deal on some battís . Maybe its not as good of a deal as I thought?
Old 04-07-2012
First String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

Based on your post, I'm thinking you want it to be inexpensive and simple. With that in mind, you probably want to avoid gel or AGM batteries.

If you give a description of your typical needs (daysail, cruise?...refrigerator? Anchoring overnight?) then you'll get some excellent advice on which batteries will serve.

Sounds like it may end up costing a lot more than its worth to use the free batteries