Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint for trailerable question

Ok, so we brought her home yesterday. It's a 1980 Catalina 22 on a trailer and I'm thrilled !!!

She's going to need a bottom job before she goes in the water. We plan to keep it in the water at the lake during the season and pull her out during the winter (that will probably be 9 months in the water and three out).

The old bottom paint will have to be stripped all the way to the gelcoat as there are so many layers that it's starting to flake off, in some other areas the bottom paint has ware off all the way to the gelcoat.

What will be the best paint to use for the circumstances?
I know to ask the local people to see what they use, but I wanted to gather some opinions as pros and cons on the different options before I ask so I can ask educated questions to the locals.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012

joemcknight is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom Paint for trailerable question

I've been using Interlux 2 part paints for years on all bottom and topside applications. I am very pleased with the results and life of the jobs. My son in law has been using Interlux 1 part paints as well, and again, results and life are outstanding. Overall I've been very pleased with the entire Interlux line. Good luck. Joe
Old 05-08-2012
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the new boat.

I just got through months of research and weeks of redoing the bottom on my Catalina 22, although I don't keep mine in the water, so my approach wouldn't necessarily work for you.

If you want to do it really, really right, my suggestion would be:
  • Scrape as much as you can scrape
  • Sand what can't be scraped to get to gelcoat
  • Barrier coat with something like Interlux 2000e
  • Antifouling that's known to work well in your area. Maybe VC17 or something like that in fresh water, but ask around.

What would also be equally high on my list would be replacing the keel cable (assuming you have a swing keel). In the C22 manual , Catalina specifically recommends against leaving them in the water, although lots of people have done it. Here's a link to how I did mine, which is not necessarily the correct way:

Keel Cable, etc. | Sailing Fortuitous

There are also pics/tales of woe regarding my bottom job in the more recent posts.

Have fun.

Last edited by chip; 12-31-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: updated link
Old 05-08-2012

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint for trailerable question

Aqua guard goes on easy is water based, wears well and costs $30 a quart! Not bad
Old 05-09-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies.
I already did the job a couple of weeks ago. Here's the other thread.
Bottom Paint dilemma

Decided to go with Pettite paint as it seems it's what everybody uses around here.

I don't plan on keeping her in the water all year, just during the season, might be 6 or 7 months.

The keel cable was in good shape, new on 2006 and never sailed after.
I came to find out, looking at all the paperwork I got with the boat that in 2006 they did a bunch of work to it (new standing rigging, new cushions, new life lines) and they never sailed her after, I even found some more parts from catalina direct that never got installed (new rub rail, canvases, and the mast light wire connection hardware).

So far very pleased with her, took her sailing last two weekends and had a blast !!!!

Again thank you for your responses !!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.