Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road
Anchor Roller Setups and Ideas

So I have a nice big Rocna Anchor and no where to put it so I am making a roller for it so it will mount on the bow and my life will be easy or so the idea goes.

-I will put in now I work in a machine shop, Solidworks, Waterjet, Full Fabrication and Machining this is not a problem -

I am designing it now and am looking for the most practical way to do it because there is minimum space between my bow rail and where the front stay connects so I may just go narrow through there and then flare it out on the other side. I have seen rollers mounted diagonally so it would cross my deck to the anchor locker instead of being straight ahead. That method seems like it would make the boat ride funny at anchor and put extra side stress on the assembly. I was wondering what kind of set ups people have and what seems to work I figure since I am making it from scratch I will try and get all the best ideas and put them together (any pictures would be greatly appreciated) Also I am thinking 1/8" thick stainless construction not sure what thicknesses people have.

As I get the design out of my head and in the computer I will try and post renderings or drawings.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Roller Setups and Ideas

This might help - lots of ideas here. They show examples on many different designs.
Category:Rocna bow compatibility (Rocna Knowledge Base)
Old 04-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I have nothing to contribute, but am following closely because I too am thinking about making a simple windlass to fit the bow of my boat. Post any schematics please!

As for the slightly offset angle, my boat has cleats for anchoring on either side of the forestay, resulting in an "angle" off the bow, doesn't seem to matter much...
Old 04-11-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Bones,

I am designing one, too. I will be paying for the fabricator but am hoping to have drawings they can cut from. I am learning a cad program to get them a format their machines can use.

How big is your anchor?, your boat, do you want to have it work with other anchor types? How wide can you make the base plate to fit into your "gap"? How wide will the anchor chain swivel be? Will you be adding a windless? Is the esthetic of the angle of the fluke and the angle of your bow important?

I have a first full sized cardboard model of mine done. It will fit my Rocna, my Bruce and a couple of old Danforth types. It has solid braces that push on the flukes when the anchor is "home". It has a pivoting arm that should help with self launch and retrieval. The "base plate" is 5" wide and runs straight back onto the deck.

My model is rough and needs to be "cleaned up". It is also bigger than I anticipated. I will send you a couple of pictures of it if you think it will help you. I used a Rocna diagram as a starting point. My Rocna is a 15. My boat is an Islander 28.

Down
Old 04-11-2012

Down,

I have a Rocna 15 as well on a 30' Lippincott. My gap is pretty narrow and I forgot to get a measurement last time I was down so it has to wait until this weekend for that dim, I think the 5 inch mark will be about where I am. Unfortunately I have a 2 hour ride to the boat. I have just a 3/8 shackle between anchor and chain no swivel, don't like too many moving parts.

Based off what I got from Rocna's site I am going with double rollers one lower and larger in the front and another higher up and back to match the curve of the shank when the anchor is pulled back against them, and I am making it just for the Rocna. I am flaring out the side plates and dropping them so that the anchor is also pulled up against them to steady it while stowed as one of the pics on the Rocna site had and recommends. I want to take the base plate and flare it out coming from the bow back to my anchor locker so I am not tearing up my deck when I launch and retreive or even while stowed. I don't have enough room for a windlass and I have been hauling this anchor enough to not worry about it, though it would be nice. The angle is not too important or what it looks like sitting there, I just want the best possible operation. I figure it will be from the from the front roller back to the edge of the deck 10-12" to allow clearance so I am not taking chunks out of my fiberglass when I launch and retreive. I should have bow pics on my home comp somewhere I will try and post.

One of my engineers and I are going to put something together this week and I might try to get a wood mockup waterjetted out to test this weekend for fit. I would love to see pics of what you have

What drafting program are you using? On the free side I use DraftSight though not well hence the help from an engineer to get it all designed. haha
Old 04-11-2012
Tundra Down

Bones,

I will take a couple of pics and share them. Using two fixed rollers may be where I end up. I wish I didn't have to hang that stuff off the bow. It sure will make anchoring easier. I look forward to seeing what you are building.

I am drilling down into DraftSight. One more evening of playing and I should be able to get two dimensional drawings. All the pieces are flat stock. I expect the water jet can work with that?

Down
Old 04-11-2012
Tundra Down

pics of a rough moc-up.

Anchor Roller pictures by gfatula - Photobucket
Old 04-12-2012

Yea minus the self launcher that is the design I am going with as well.
Old 04-13-2012
Tundra Down

Bones,

I look forward to a view of your effort.

Down
Old 04-16-2012

So I took a bunch of measurements and pictures and it looks like I will have to go diagonally. I think if I do 4-5 inches wide and then relocate the forward cleat back some. The 2 eyes for the lines are being moved back a foot or so which I always wanted to do anyway. I would rather do something to relocate the mount for the bow rail so I can go straight back, but I can't think of anything good. Designing tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchor Roller Setups and Ideas-imag0266.jpg   Anchor Roller Setups and Ideas-imag0267.jpg   Anchor Roller Setups and Ideas-imag0268.jpg