Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Roller furling is so over rated :D

This spring I swapped out my old POS furler and genoa, and went with hank-ons.

I have no regrets. I have been putting up and taking down my new (to me) hanked-on foresails. It is not really that hard at all. I kind of like it to be honest. And now I can sail in whatever winds I want, because switching out the foresails is now easy. My roller furling genoa was IMPOSSIBLE to take down/put up, even in the slip, if there was any wind to speak of. Getting the luff in and out of that narrow slot in the foil just wouldn't happen when you really needed it to. Now when conditions change I easily swap out the foresails. I have been sailing in these great winds lately only because of this. A "reefed" roller furling genoa is just a parachute tied to your bow, once it is rolled in more than 10-15%...

I tied on some thin line crisscrossing between the lifelines and the toe rail in the forward area of the bow. This acts like a net so the jib can't fall into the water, it's what the racing boats do in all the youtube videos lol and is a hell of a lot cheaper than WM "lifeline netting".

I post this because last year I was worried about going to hank-ons. I thought it would be SUCH a PITA, but the reality is that it is not that bad at all. Even lowered, the jib can just be lied down flat along the rail (inside the netting) and bungeed to the toe rail.

My point is, all you newbies out there who, like me, have oooold roller furlers and genoas that limit your sailing, switching to hank-on is not nearly as bad as some say.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Roller furling is so over rated :D

Don't think anyone ever said hank-ons was bad.. it's just less convenient. In fact with hanked on sails you can always have the exact right sail up (assuming you have it) and there's lots to be said for that!

I like the convenience of the furler - but FWIW we don't reef with it. One other advantage is one less sailbag needing to be stowed below somewhere.
chef2sail likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-10-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i will not place hank ons for my jib---i dont like even the idea of hitting the water as i have to change sails out on the sprit in heavy seas.
roller furling isnt as "bad" as you think, if you cruise in oceans or wild and wicked seas. even smooth ones become wild and wicked in short order.
smooth sailing.
i love my roller furling .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

The writer has a Hunter 25, so he won't be doing any blue water cruising! Smaller boat = less need for RF. On my 35 I would not be without it when single handing.
Old 04-10-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Coming from the power boat scene, I can't understand why a cruiser wouldn't want RF. If you were only into racing, I understand that.
Old 04-10-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48

This is a little off Topic, but just a quick question. When in stronger winds and using a furling and flying a %110 (just for arguments sake question is the same for any headsail) is performances affected in bad way when you reef with the furling? In other words how much better is it to change the sail than to just change sail area with the furling. I realize there are a million details that can be factored in, but just in general.

Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 04-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Coming from the power boat scene, I can't understand why a cruiser wouldn't want RF. If you were only into racing, I understand that.
In strong wind when you want less sail up, you can't partially furl a jib with a roller furling system (you can with a roller reefing furler) but if you have hanked on sails you can put a smaller sail on.

There are compromises with having a RF.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 04-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 View Post
This is a little off Topic, but just a quick question. When in stronger winds and using a furling and flying a %110 (just for arguments sake question is the same for any headsail) is performances affected in bad way when you reef with the furling? In other words how much better is it to change the sail than to just change sail area with the furling. I realize there are a million details that can be factored in, but just in general.
Roller furling systems are designed for the sail to be all out or entirely furled. Roller reefing furlers are designed to use reinforced sails so they can be partially furled. You risk damage when partially furling a roller furler.
BubbleheadMd likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 04-10-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfunk48 View Post
Performance is compromised when reefing as the draft of the entire sail ends up in the reefed portion more or less. If you are running it isn't much of a problem, but it makes for a lousy shape if you are beating.
Old 04-10-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
In strong wind when you want less sail up, you can't partially furl a jib with a roller furling system (you can with a reefing furler) but if you have hanked on sails you can put a smaller sail on.

There are compromises with having a RF.
This is interesting I had no idea, again former power boater. I just figured if the wind came up & you wanted to reduce your sail area you pulled on the black line to wrap your sail around the gizmo.

So what is the actual difference between a roller & reefer furling system? Is it the sail or the actual construction of the furling unit itself?

Thanks!