Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012

jahjammin is on a distinguished road
Dripping Stuffing Box

I have an '85 Catalina 30. The stuffing box drips 3 to 4 drips per minute whild in port and not running. Some of my neighbors say it should not drip at all while stopped and others say it's not a problem. Just trying to get a consensus as I dont want to haul the boat to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
re: Dripping Stuffing Box

It should not drip at all when the shaft is not turning. When turning, it should 2-4 drips per mimnute. What is yours doing when the shaft is turning?
Here is an article on servicing the stuffing box. Service Your Stuffing Box | Cruising World

All this assumes that you do not have a "dripless" gland, which should not drip at all.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-11-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

IIRC, with some of the new packing materials (graphite?) they don't even need to drip while in gear. I agree that it should not drip (much) while in neutral. You should be able to just tighten the nut up a bit, but make sure it still drips when moving, better to have a slight drip in neutral than no drip (heat) in gear, sometimes it's a fine line.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-11-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

All of the packing materials, except the dripless glands should drip a little while the shaft is turning. All should stop dripping when stopped. If it drips when stopped and you are away a couple of weeks, and the power fails, your boat will sink.

I recommend you fix it. try tightening a little, if you haven't repacked in a couple of years, repack it. It's not that hard. ( I had great luck with graphite packing).
Old 04-11-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

jj, it is time to tighten the box or repack it.

If it needs repacking I'd suggest GoreTex, which will allow you to have zero leaking while not underway and very little when running. And lasts a very long time.
Old 04-11-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Here is another link that explains how to repack the stuffing box. Best I have seen. Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

As posted it should only drip when the shaft is turning, and depending on packing material possibly not even then.
Old 04-11-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

mine was peeing like a bunch of kids hanging out on the corner-after a case of beer-- that was underway as well as moored--we stuffed it and we stuffed and adjusted it-- still was a lil sinky-- now isnt as bad--only dripping -- i used gore-tex on both my rudder and my shaft packing glands with decent success-- rudder is totally dry now and prop shaft is still drippy, but not sinky....remember to make sure the stufffing box is packed before installing, if it is a flanged unit, like mine. makes a difference in leakage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-11-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Mine also drips (1 drip every 10 seconds) at the dock. I will try to repack but the box is in poor shape so afraid to touch it. Plan to dry dock in coulple years at which time I will pull shaft and install new box and hose and install new engine mounts. Also will inspect prop shaft.

My understanding is even with new packing your seal could leak at the dock if the shaft is scored or grooved. Your dirp rate not only depends on your packing, but also shaft condition. If the shaft is in poor shape, you may have excess leak rate.

Also, eveything I read says you should have a drip when the shaft is turning- this is how the seal is cooled and lubricated. The only seal that should not drip is a mechanical type- they have no packing.
Old 04-11-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Mine also drips (1 drip every 10 seconds) at the dock. I will try to repack but the box is in poor shape so afraid to touch it. Plan to dry dock in coulple years at which time I will pull shaft and install new box and hose and install new engine mounts. Also will inspect prop shaft.
It's in such a shape that you're afraid to touch it but you're leaving it for a couple years?
jrd22, chef2sail and mitiempo like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-11-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I will try to repack but the box is in poor shape so afraid to touch it. Plan to dry dock in coulple years at which time I will pull shaft and install new box and hose and install new engine mounts.
Casey,

With respect, I think you may be heading for a fall. If the box is that suspect, I'd be worrying my rear off whenever I went out under power. If you hit a deadhead or get a warp around the prop, it could be enough to cause the box to fail and then you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

I'm thinking that the place to find out for sure whether or not the box is serviceable will be somewhere close to a TravelLift, and not out in a deep channel.

Just food for thought...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.