Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom Paint dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday Driver View Post
all you want to do is scuff it so the paint sticks

you could also get a tarp big enough to cover the ground 20 x10 (harborFreight.com)has cheap ones .
lay it out , then back the trailer over it .
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpappy View Post
most recommend that the boat goes into the water no longer than 6 hours after the paint is applied, After the inital open area is done, just block the stern up high and lower the trailer to expose the spots that are covered by the pads on the trailer. but I wouldn't paint it before a day before launch.
John Cal-36
Thanks, I read about blocking the boat up sot of like the way you describe...

Can I apply one coat on Saturday night and then one more on Sunday before it goes in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
Thank you!!
Can I apply one coat on Saturday night and then one more on Sunday before it goes in the water?
You'll probably only need one coat.

Stop it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-13-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

So, what kind of paint are you going to apply, ablative or hard?
Old 04-13-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpappy View Post
You need to purchase the antifouling bottom paint and read the directions, most recommend that the boat goes into the water no longer than 6 hours after the paint is applied,
John Cal-36
Disagree. All paints that I have used allow up to 30 days for fresh paint. Longer than that you need to "scuff" it again.

Sevseasail - I wouldn't dry sand it. Use a scotchbright pad or wet sand paper. Place a plastic tarp under the area that you are working. Soak the scotchbright pad in bucket of water, scour area, rinse in same water. When bottom has been fully scoured. Get another bucket of clean water and a cloth rag. Wet rage, wipe down bottom to remove loose material, wring rag into bucket, and redo.

Allow water buckets to stand for a few days to allow paint/dirt to settle, then carefully decant clear water off, collect wet sediment, and dispose in accordance with local laws.

DrB
Old 04-13-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Um, probably just me, but I put 2 coats of VC-17m (freshwater for me)... but it took me about 4 hours to do. Sanding, add another 4 hours or so, and 20-30 minutes between coats (I did 2).
Here's a before

and after:

I don't have movable bunk boards, so I had to jack the boat up under the keel (fun).
Old 04-13-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Nice job, schnool!

I don't think anyone's implying that you can't spend more time on painting the bottom, but the OP said that he barely had time to sail so we were pointing out that you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of time on it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-13-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I don't think you will be able to paint under the bunk boards as you launch. The bottom is pretty much submerged b/f the boat floats off the bunks. You can lower the nose as much as possible (even into a hole in the gound), brace the stern, then raise the whole boat off the bunks by raising the nose again. Or just skip the areas under the bunks. Or, depending on your trailer, paint, launch, then float the boat back onto the trailer heeled over just enough to expose those areas under the bunks (it will look stupid, but, whatever). BTW, the cost of owning a trailerable boat can be reduced a lot if you are willing to have it in the driveway for parts of the year.
Old 04-13-2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you...

Here's the update. I did sand today, used one of those sponge sanding blocks for drywall (100 grit) sanded with a bucket of water and rinsed with the hose. After that, I wiped the bottom with paint thinner as per paint instructions. After work I went to Worst Marine (only store in the area that will sell me bottom paint, all others only do it if I let them do the job. Yes, there are other stores that can get the paint but will have to order...) I went with Pettite Vivid as it was the only thing they had that will allow me to launch within 60 days and recoat after 4 hrs.
Have one coat on her already...... It took me about 1,5 Hr to get it sanded and cleaned and about 45min to put the first coat.
Almost there....!!!!
Old 04-13-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you...

Here's the update. I did sand today, used one of those sponge sanding blocks for drywall (100 grit) sanded with a bucket of water and rinsed with the hose. After that, I wiped the bottom with paint thinner as per paint instructions. After work I went to Worst Marine (only store in the area that will sell me bottom paint, all others only do it if I let them do the job. Yes, there are other stores that can get the paint but will have to order...) I went with Pettite Vivid as it was the only thing they had that will allow me to launch within 60 days and recoat after 4 hrs.
Have one coat on her already...... It took me about 1,5 Hr to get it sanded and cleaned and about 45min to put the first coat.
Almost there....!!!!
Pictures Mon, we need pictures!
Old 04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Pictures Mon, we need pictures!

OK, here she is with 2 coats on her, unfortunately could not launch on Sunday because the paint requires a 16 Hr before launching, also there are other issues, as the insurance which I'm trying to resolve today. Got a couple of quotes from BoatUs and waiting for my local agent to come up with something. (I would like to see what kind of coverage he can offer....)

She's looking better and better every day ....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.