Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012

newportermike is on a distinguished road
Epoxy on the prop?

Just bought a nice Pearson 303 and the surveyor has said there is a little corrosion on the prop. He has suggested that I may want to "Epoxy it". What is that? A two part solution? Do I just paint it on?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Epoxy on the prop?

In general he's talking about some form of epoxy two part coating. Similar to a paint but probably more robust. I don't know what product exactly he might be referring too but I think people here will be able to help.

I wanted to note that the use of the word epoxy has also confused the crap out of me for a while. Prior to boating epoxy was a two part adhesive to me. But it's also a paint and a structural filler. I find it disappointing when the word is used by itself without specifying the type of product.

Even the great books like Don Casey say "fill it with epoxy" - well the 5 minute loctite epoxy at the hardware store? What are you talking about? I was aware that west marine sold west systems (not related) products by the (expensive) gallon but didn't know exactly what to make of it. Having learned a lot more and finally having bought some west 105 (general purpose resin) and 205 (hardener) I finally understand that yes, west epoxy is a sort of do it all solution for filling, bonding fairing etc.

Last edited by asdf38; 04-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2012

jfitzgerald is on a distinguished road
Re: Epoxy on the prop?

Never heard of anyone painting a prop to fix corrosion and not fammiliar with prop corrosion. For what it's worth, I'd fill the voids with J&b epoxy from Home Depot. Scotch tape to hold it from dripping out while curing and sand it smooth. If the $10 pack doesn't more than fill all the voids, I'd buy a new prop. Good sailing
Old 04-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Use the Petit Zinc barnacle coat spray paint on your prop...its an offical SN endorsed product, well sort of.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
Old 04-12-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Epoxy the prop....OK, fire up the engine and then run the *tards hand through the prop.

One does not epoxy a prop and any idiot surveyor knows that. There are maybe two specialized prop coatings on the market that some folks say will protect them from corrosion but there's nothing epoxy will do except tear itself off in use. If there are holes to be filled, craters? The prop probably needs to be replaced due to unseen galvanic damage anyway.

Epoxy the prop...Pour the epoxy in his pants, forget his hands, they'd just damage your prop blades further.

Sadly now, you've got to question everything he has said.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
Old 04-12-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I'm with HelloSailor on this topic. I've never heard of anyone using an epoxy product (JB Weld or whatever) for filling voids on a propeller. There is not much that is right about this suggestion. For one thing no epoxy will be equal in weight to the metal so the prop will be 'out of balance'.
The thing to do is to take the prop to a reliable prop shop and have them 'spin' it and test it for balance. They can tell you if it is out of balance. They can also add new material to your old prop if that is all it needs which will cost a lot less then a new prop. Used props will cost less of course.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-12-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

As a welder that gets by working the trade I would look at the post you have seen draw a line down a paper take the vote epoxy yes on one side epoxy no on the other side. I want to go on the no side. If you find the right welder he can add filler metal to SS. Alum. Brass and other metal if he knows the grade and type of alloy. Heat can distort metal the pitch and balance could be effected. A good welder with the skill level you need will fetch $29 -$ 46 and hour the shop that he works for will charge at 2x that to cover cost of the operation. My bet two hours labor? The prop will need to have a grinder before and after the weld. Then you will need a machinest or tradesman that can tell if the prop is balanced and still in pitch. I have know idea what this might cost. When ever you weld a metal you change the grain structure of it. A host of problems can happen SS. can start to have corrosion problems if not treated properly after welding or by the wrong choice of filler metal application SS has many types and grades. The same is true for brass and Aluminum. So when you finish you have a used prop that has been fixed and will need to be inspected from time to time. I do not know what a new prop for this type of boat cost but I would not think of fixing if it is under $500 Jb weld is a good epoxy I use it ! It can be better than welding for many things and may be a good fix for a limited time on your prop but I can not help but think the spots that are pitted will not keep doing this under the epoxy letting it flake off IMHO LOU452 ( X ray quality)
Old 04-12-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Question how bad is the prop ? Could it be taken to a shop and just polished and balanced? I stand with hello sailor's opinion of this surveyour. He has you focused on the prop. You may need to be looking at some other issue? Then maybe his mind was not engaged on the prop or it is in better shape than we are thinking
Old 04-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
In general he's talking about some form of epoxy two part coating. Similar to a paint but probably more robust. I don't know what product exactly he might be referring too but I think people here will be able to help.

I wanted to note that the use of the word epoxy has also confused the crap out of me for a while. Prior to boating epoxy was a two part adhesive to me. But it's also a paint and a structural filler. I find it disappointing when the word is used by itself without specifying the type of product.

Even the great books like Don Casey say "fill it with epoxy" - well the 5 minute loctite epoxy at the hardware store? What are you talking about? I was aware that west marine sold west systems (not related) products by the (expensive) gallon but didn't know exactly what to make of it. Having learned a lot more and finally having bought some west 105 (general purpose resin) and 205 (hardener) I finally understand that yes, west epoxy is a sort of do it all solution for filling, bonding fairing etc.
West is just a brand name that is heavily marketed and overpriced. Epoxy is epoxy is epoxy. It can be "tuned" by the selection of hardener for faster or slower curing and you can add damn near anything to it to make thickeners, fillers, fairing compounds etc. Those can also be "tuned" for specific purposes - strength, ease of sanding, waterproofing etc.

There's nothing magical about it, it's just a plastic resin, albeit probably the best and most versatile for boat uses. It's also pretty expensive. Find an industrial supplier and you'll save a bunch over retail type suppliers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised no one has suggested the possibility of de-zincification. If metal is flaking off and appearing like corrosion, it could throw a blade. Have a prop shop look at it. If so, get a new one.

A poorly balanced prop can damage your cutlass bearing and possibly the transmission, engine mounts, stuffing box, etc. It wouldn't be a $5 experiment.
bljones and Lou452 like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.