SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Metho Burner Replacement (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86146-metho-burner-replacement.html)

Classic30 04-13-2012 04:23 AM

Metho Burner Replacement

2 Attachment(s)
The old gimballed 2-burner metho stove (pics below) on our boat has been faithful for many a year but the burners are on their last legs. There are no brands or markings left on the thing - but it isn't a Maxie, which is the commonest brand around here.

Attachment 10655

Attachment 10656

Can anyone recognise the burners and tell me where I might get replacements? It's generally wayyy cheaper than the alternative.. which is a whole new stove. :(

tdw 04-13-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Metho Burner Replacement

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 858068)
The old gimballed 2-burner metho stove (pics below) on our boat has been faithful for many a year but the burners are on their last legs. There are no brands or markings left on the thing - but it isn't a Maxie, which is the commonest brand around here.

Attachment 10655

Attachment 10656

Can anyone recognise the burners and tell me where I might get replacements? It's generally way cheaper than the alternative.. which is a whole new stove. :(

C ..... Still have the old one we took off Raven when we went gas. Was in perfect working order and condition at the time, no use to me. Been stored on land ever since. It is a Maxi from memory. You want it ? Postage and a donation to charity.

Now .... under normal circumstances I'd say $50.00 to charity of your choice but you'll only go and give it to the church (:p :p ) or even worse the Liberal party and we can't have that now can we ? Heaven forfend.

How about $50.00 to the RSPCA ?

I'm tempted to say the Greens but that would rankle wouldn't it ? :eek: eek:

Cheers mate

Andrew

ps - If you want it give me a call at the office. I could ship it off Tuesday.

pps - Get it up and running on board before parting with the dosh.

Classic30 04-16-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 858349)
C ..... Still have the old one we took off Raven when we went gas. Was in perfect working order and condition at the time, no use to me. Been stored on land ever since. It is a Maxi from memory. You want it ? Postage and a donation to charity.

Neat!!! :eek: :eek: Thanks heaps, Andrew! :D

Will call shortly...

olson34 04-16-2012 12:28 AM

So, what worthy charity gets the "dosh"?
Urban Dictionary: dosh

:rolleyes:

Metho = alcohol, sounds like.

International sailing boards are fun!:cool:
We almost need an English to English translator...
:laugher

Best of luck on the stove, whatever it burns......

Cheers,
LB

tdw 04-16-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olson34 (Post 859026)
So, what worthy charity gets the "dosh"?
Urban Dictionary: dosh

:rolleyes:
Metho = alcohol, sounds like.
International sailing boards are fun!:cool:
We almost need an English to English translator...
:laugher
Best of luck on the stove, whatever it burns......
Cheers,
LB

LB ... nope .... what you need is an American to Strine translator but you are on the money. Metho aka Methylated Spirits is what you lot call Alcohol. Personally I prefer a nice cold beer or a glass of vino but then you Americans do eat and drink the strangest things. :eek::eek:

C ... pleasure doing business with you ... :)

dacap06 04-16-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 859056)
.... what you need is an American to Strine translator )

Wouldn't that be a Murkin to Strine translator? You'd only need the English translation if the Brits are involved, I should think. :D

Classic30 04-16-2012 10:20 PM

You know it never occured to me for a moment that "metho" wouldn't be easily translated outside the Commonwealth.. and that probably explains why I get so few hits in various search engines for spares!! :o Never mind, problem sorted anyways - with profuse thanks to a certain Wombat and his lady. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacap06 (Post 859397)
Wouldn't that be a Murkin to Strine translator? You'd only need the English translation if the Brits are involved, I should think. :D

Funny.. we don't have so many problems understanding the Brits, but, yes, Murkin is an entirely different problem.

tdw 04-16-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartley18 (Post 859451)
You know it never occured to me for a moment that "metho" wouldn't be easily translated outside the Commonwealth.. and that probably explains why I get so few hits in various search engines for spares!! :o Never mind, problem sorted anyways - with profuse thanks to a certain Wombat and his lady. :)

Funny.. we don't have so many problems understanding the Brits, but, yes, Murkin is an entirely different problem.

You great dill, even I know that Metho = Alcohol. Bloody Melbournians, what a pack of drongos.

Classic30 04-16-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 859476)
You great dill, even I know that Metho = Alcohol. Bloody Melbournians, what a pack of drongos.

And, for all the Murkins out there, a "drongo" is .......?? :eek: :laugher

dacap06 04-16-2012 11:56 PM

LOL! I have learned a bit of Strine and know what a Drongo is.

On my Facebook page I claim to speak both Murkin and British English. We truly are two (no, three!) countries divided by a common language.