SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Metho Burner Replacement

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  hriehl1 
#1 ·
The old gimballed 2-burner metho stove (pics below) on our boat has been faithful for many a year but the burners are on their last legs. There are no brands or markings left on the thing - but it isn't a Maxie, which is the commonest brand around here.

Can anyone recognise the burners and tell me where I might get replacements? It's generally wayyy cheaper than the alternative.. which is a whole new stove. :(

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The old gimballed 2-burner metho stove (pics below) on our boat has been faithful for many a year but the burners are on their last legs. There are no brands or markings left on the thing - but it isn't a Maxie, which is the commonest brand around here.

View attachment 10655

View attachment 10656

Can anyone recognise the burners and tell me where I might get replacements? It's generally way cheaper than the alternative.. which is a whole new stove. :(
C ..... Still have the old one we took off Raven when we went gas. Was in perfect working order and condition at the time, no use to me. Been stored on land ever since. It is a Maxi from memory. You want it ? Postage and a donation to charity.

Now .... under normal circumstances I'd say $50.00 to charity of your choice but you'll only go and give it to the church :)p :p ) or even worse the Liberal party and we can't have that now can we ? Heaven forfend.

How about $50.00 to the RSPCA ?

I'm tempted to say the Greens but that would rankle wouldn't it ? :eek: eek:

Cheers mate

Andrew

ps - If you want it give me a call at the office. I could ship it off Tuesday.

pps - Get it up and running on board before parting with the dosh.

#3 ·
C ..... Still have the old one we took off Raven when we went gas. Was in perfect working order and condition at the time, no use to me. Been stored on land ever since. It is a Maxi from memory. You want it ? Postage and a donation to charity.
Neat!!! :eek: :eek: Thanks heaps, Andrew! :D

Will call shortly...

#5 ·
So, what worthy charity gets the "dosh"?
Urban Dictionary: dosh

:rolleyes:
Metho = alcohol, sounds like.
International sailing boards are fun!:cool:
We almost need an English to English translator...
:laugher
Best of luck on the stove, whatever it burns......
Cheers,
LB
LB ... nope .... what you need is an American to Strine translator but you are on the money. Metho aka Methylated Spirits is what you lot call Alcohol. Personally I prefer a nice cold beer or a glass of vino but then you Americans do eat and drink the strangest things. :eek::eek:

C ... pleasure doing business with you ... :)

#15 ·
Finally got the stove installed on the weekend - it fits perfectly and works great! :)

With the grill underneath, it sits a bit higher than the old stove. I was planning to lift the old one higher and put a drawer underneath, but now that project is canned and I can have proper toast in the mornings instead... a much better solution all round, say I!!

The First Mate thinks it's great since she can use this one without risking burning the boat to the waterline..

Three cheers for old Womby!! Hip hip.. :D

#16 ·
goodo - I was a little waorried the grill wasn't working but I guess all is well.

Now don't you forget your side of the bargain.

Must be non religious, non denominational, non right wing political. My choice would be Medicin Sans Frontiers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.