Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By CharlieCobra
  • 1 Post By CharlieCobra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Spar building, Baggett and Sons style...

As you guys know, we have a Tayana 37 in for a vigorous refit. One of the projects is a new bowsprit. My wooder founda piece of Sitka Spruce 16' X 13" X 6" that had resided in a container for over 10 years, waiting for a new home. Some $700.00 later, it had one. What follows is a little five minute video of the making of the bowsprit by hand, using hand saws and antique but fully functional tools. What's missing is Antjuan hand sanding the spindle with a piece of cut belt sander paper and the following hand sanding done by Charles today. I'll follow with finished pictures tomorrow or so. Until then, enjoy....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Spar building, Baggett and Sons style...

I love the Talking Heads in the background!

"Take me to the river... Drop me in the water..."

Most appropriate!
Old 04-13-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Interesting Charlie, thanks. One question though - why the old hand tools for the basic shaping rather than power planes or even saws? I can see the drawknife for shaping the tip for the cranse iron but the rest just seems to add work & time.

Just feeling traditional or is there a "business decision" behind their selection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-13-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Sitka spruce, nice, I've worked with it on a small scale for canoe gunnels,

my current "project"!
Old 04-14-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Interesting Charlie, thanks. One question though - why the old hand tools for the basic shaping rather than power planes or even saws? I can see the drawknife for shaping the tip for the cranse iron but the rest just seems to add work & time.

Just feeling traditional or is there a "business decision" behind their selection?
It was just as fast with the traditional tools with a smaller chance of "Uh oh's". Besides, the boys need to learn these techniques. I would've done the initial cuts with my bandsaw but the piece was 1/4" too large to fit on it. Once I had to go down that "traditional" road, I decided to do the whole thing that way. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast it went. Not much more, if any, extra time to do it the old school way. The boys flat loved it....
SloopJonB likes this.

Old 04-14-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Looks really nice, Charlie. Your boys are fortunate to have the chance to learn traditional techniques, which these days are all too rarely used. There's no better way to learn how wood behaves and responds to tools than by going old school, and this will make them better power tool operators as well.

I think Roy Underhill would be proud of you guys.
Old 04-14-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

One side of me really appreciates the craftsmanship and tradition. The other half has to wonder, how much weight could be saved ahead of the bow by using a carbon fiber (etc.) tube hidden under a good wood print applique.
Old 04-14-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
One side of me really appreciates the craftsmanship and tradition. The other half has to wonder, how much weight could be saved ahead of the bow by using a carbon fiber (etc.) tube hidden under a good wood print applique.
Philistine.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-14-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Nah, if I was a Philistine I wouldn't waste the extra time and money on the aesthetics of a nice fake wood applique. The good stuff, you can't tell apart from real.

Now, a Philistine might just jam 150# of easily decayed dead tree where it hurts the balance of the boat the most, when maybe twenty pounds of advanced composites could do a better job longer.

Or worse, a Philistine might take a beautifully crafted and varnished wooden boat and (UGH!) expose it to sunlight and UV and salt water, instead of keeping it nicely protected indoors.

Now, a true gentlemen, a yachtsman, would build it out of composites, handcraft the outside with genuine wood grain texture embossed into it, and have the paint shop hand paint a faux wood spar finish on it. No offense to Charlie, but cheaping out and using wood...I guess his client has a terribly limited budget.

(ttthhhhppppttttt!)

We should all have such problems.(G)

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-14-2012 at 06:01 PM.