LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Twisted mainsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
This is a Beneteau 36s5
As you can see the block is twisted so the line is twisted about 2 full turns.

If I forcibly twist the block until the lines run fair the block wants to twist back up.

The problem is not seem to be that it is reaved improperly. It is just that the line seems to have taken a set.

I have seen this on may boats and just now gotten around to asking about it. It seems to increase the friction in the system and seems to be a bad thing.
Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
The block is twisted to the side because of the shackle connecting the bitter end of the sheet to the same becket the block is connected with. When the sheet loads up it will force the block sideways. Look at your other post concerning the bitter end of the sheet. There are several solutions to adjusting it's position which will also resolve your twist issue.
Tempest likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The other I am seeing, altho it may not be as big a deal as I see it, the knotted end is on the front of the block, line goes down to the front of the double, up back to a single then down to the back of the double up to the forward single to the mast. The double has two opposing lines with opposite pulls to either side. Both lines thru the double should be counterclockwise vs clock and counter to get the best pull on the blocks.

A single with becket at the top as mentioned would help this, or as I am seeing you have another thread, there was one or two other suggestions that would help in that one too.

Marty
Old 04-17-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Thank you all. I'm going to move the end point forward to at least eliminate the chafe and see what happens.
I don't think that will solve it though. Probably will need some kind of Becket.
I'll report back.
Old 04-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

David,
We went through this with our main sheet too. Double blocks always caused twisting of our main sheet until we moved up to fiddle blocks for both the boom and traveler car, then no more twisting.
It costs some money to upgrade to fiddle blocks but it was worth it for us. Our traveler now has two double blocks and I hate it too as it tends to twist and bind but our main sheet passes easily between the fiddle blocks. At some point I'd like to replace the two double blocks with small fiddle blocks and not worry about it.
Probably the cheapest place to get hardware like this is from Garhaur: http://www.mauriprosailing.com/categ...Series-30.html
or where I may get fiddle blocks for my traveler set up: http://www.sailcare.com/fiddle-blocks.shtml
but those are only for up to 5/16" line.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 04-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I was bedevilled by the same problem until someone, I'm sure it was one of you lot, suggested a thin line from one to the other boom mounted blocks. Simply stops them from twisting. If you lay out the sheet every now and then to unwind the twist imparted by the winch all is well.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 04-17-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

This does not appear to be a block problem or a problem with the block rotating. It is a problem with the way that the line is coiled and uncoiled. Even if the block is fixed so it can't swivel there will still be large frictional losses unless you learn to coil the line so you don't impart twist into the line.

Those who suggested taking the twist out are correct. On my boat I am religious about coiling the line to remove twists every time I coil the line. I so do by starting at the cleat (lock) and coiling using a figure 8 with every flake. The fast and easy way to do that is to hang one side of the flake on the handle part of a (locking) winch handle inserted in a winch and the other side of the flake hung over your fingers which works great if you hold one hand so that it forms a hook with the fingers up. This is pretty much standard proceedure to coil line on single handers and big race boats
davidpm likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-17-2012

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road

Agree with Jeff. Line has twist in it. Best solution is to replace line. Another temporary solution is to remove the twist from the line. Take line out of all blocks, tie one end to stern of boat and drag it behind for a few minutes while motoring. Then re run the line thru the blocks. Will help for a while.

I have the same problem and we trail it behind boat occasionally to remedy this. New main sheet is on the "List"

Mike

Old 04-17-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Hey Jeff .... does this (although not using a winch handle) pretty much explain coiling ?

Video: How to Coil Rope for Sailing | eHow.co.uk

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 04-17-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Wombat: That is basically what I am talking about. The one thing that was not done right in the video is that you should work from the cleat outward so that the hackles can be released at the bitter end.

I also wanted to comment on lines holding a set. When you have double braid lines which has a twist in it while under load for a while the inner core can twist independent of the shell and create a situation where the line wants to twist when loaded. Reversing the line end for end should help, but I am not sure that towing the line is a permanent solution since the core may not release relative to the shell.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-17-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

So this sounds like one of the hi-tech braided lines without a core may have an added advantage.