Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2012

mikeweld is on a distinguished road
electric winch handles

I am interested in the "new" Winchrite power winch handle, but am a bit dismayed at the price $499.00 US! Any comments, or info re priceing would be appreciated. Cheers, Mike Weldhttp://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: electric winch handles

They sound nice, but I'd hate to accidently drop one over.
Old 04-16-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

At that price, I'd rather invest in bigger winches. If you're being overpowered in all but the craziest of wind situations, it tells me that you're probably flying too much sail for the rigging on the boat.
Old 04-16-2012

Thanks for the comments thus far, I require the power assist for the main halyard which is led back to the cockpit and is a "grunt" to haul up. to convert the present ST winch is much more expensive !
Old 04-16-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road

i agree I don't know where you can find a winch(larger) for $500. I saw these at Strictly Sail Chicago and they are nice but not faster than a quick hand and like said B-4 make sure you have a line attached to it so you won't loose it OB.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 04-16-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
electric winch handles

I've heard you can get an attachment and do the same thing with a power hand drill. Anyone tried that?
Old 04-16-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: electric winch handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajimo View Post
I've heard you can get an attachment and do the same thing with a power hand drill. Anyone tried that?
Yea and a 20 gallon air compressor with impact wrench attachment will do it too. But bottom line; a drill(motor) would be real convenient in the cockpit (NOT)http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 04-16-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeweld View Post
Thanks for the comments thus far, I require the power assist for the main halyard which is led back to the cockpit and is a "grunt" to haul up. to convert the present ST winch is much more expensive !
I wonder if you might have problems somewhere in the track that goes up the mast. Perhaps a bend? Although there are pros and cons, you might consider lubricating the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 04-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeweld View Post
I am interested in the "new" Winchrite power winch handle, but am a bit dismayed at the price $499.00 US! Any comments, or info re priceing would be appreciated. Cheers, Mike Weldhttp://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif
We have been using a home-made version of the 18v "Winch Buddy" since early 2005 due to an accident that left me with less than full use of my left arm. We use this "electric winch-handle" to hoist the main, furl the headsail, and trim the main and genoa sheets. (At 5' tall and 102#, my wife--"Best mate"--could do almost none of these tasks without the electric winch-handle, but has little difficulty until the winches really get loaded up.)

In 1st gear, which corresponds to the lower-power range on a 2-speed winch, the drive will sheet the genoa in far faster than can a human after repeated tacks. In 2nd gear, corresponding to high power on the winch, the drive can handle all but the heavist loads in heavy winds so long as one "pinches-up" a bit to momentarily take some pressure off the sail. As a practical matter however, we generally stear courses that will cause no more than a 20-25ļ heel which is the point at which our boat is fastest and will give us the best overall speed to a destination despite the somewhat greater distance sailed.

The foregoing does not address the WinchRite and I don't know how the torque and power ratios of that unit compares with the 18v Right-Angle Milwaukee Drill that is the heart of our system but ours is quite satisfactory. Worked heavily, however, one does burn through batteries quickly so one needs to be able to swap them out quickly and easily which we can. (We carry 3 batteries and a 12v charger that allows us to recharge a battery in about 2 hours. We've yet to go through all 3 batteries before one is recharged).

For more information on the subject do a search on "WinchBuddy" here or on CruisersForum(dot)com

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-16-2012

Thank you SV Hylyt, your info is worthwhile. the ease of battery changes is a que. I shall ask. & I will check out "Winch Buddy"