Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-16-2012

Prairie Pirate is on a distinguished road
Upstart 16 standing rigging help.

Hello all.

I tried to find the information I am looking for in the forums and online but I still have a few questions.

A little background 1st. I bought this boat a few weeks ago for not a lot of money. I knew that it required a lot of cleaning up/ TLC. The 1st order of business is to order new standing rigging to replace the Canadian Tire (a hardware store in Canada of questionable quality) clothes line and turnbuckle rigging. I have to fabricate a new chain plate for the port side from 3/4" stainless steel. But the rest of the deck hardware is in place.

My question comes to the terminals. The nearest rigging shop to me is about 2000kms away so I am going to have to order it all over the phone and want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly.

For the two shrouds I am leaning towards turnbuckles with a jaw fitting on one end and a swaged fitting on the other. Are turnbuckles the way to go or on a trailer able sailboat that will be brought home at the end of each day am I better to go with shroud levers? Like these: [URL="http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=30893&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50088&classNum=50095"] It is rigged at the jib head with two holes at the leading edge. One hole on the bottom is 13/32nds and the one on the top is 3/16ths I am assuming that the large hole takes a "D" shackle and the two shrouds attach to that with an eye. Am I correct on that assumption?

With the forestay the top is held to the jib head with a 3/16ths pin so a t swaged T bolt with a toggle is what I am thinking of at the deck end I was going to use a turnbuckle with a jaw fitting again. This fitting has two holes both of which are 3/16ths is the second one for a shackle for the jib?

I hope this all makes sense, I will have to get some pictures up when my post count gets high enough. Also for wire is 1X19 wire or 7X19 wire more appropriate? I do plan to take the boat home at the end of each day so I would have to unstep the mast and I am wondering if the more flexible wire would be appropriate. Also what diameter is recommended? I wish I had the original rigging because all I would do is send it to the rigger!

Also on an unrelated subject how can you tell what size line your blocks are designed for? All the running rigging was replaced with cheap yellow rope from Canadian tire also. I need to replace it all.

Thanks for your help;

Adam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook