Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SlowButSteady

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road
removing decals from transom

Hi Folks,

First off - many thanks for all the boat buying advice. I settled on a 2004 Beneteau 36.7.

I'm in the process of removing the decals from the transom and getting ready to re-name her and was wondering if anyone had any tips.

The declas were only on for 4 years, so they came off quite easily..

So far, I've heated the decals with a heat gun, peeled them off then used some asetone to remove any left over adhesive. Unfortunately, the area that was covered with the decals shows up as a slight yellow tint. Any suggestions on how to get back to white? I'd like to start off with a clean, white transom before applying the new decals.

Many Thanks in advance.

CB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2012

rukuz is on a distinguished road
Re: removing decals from transom

Hi Chuck--have you tried rubbing compound and buffing it out? May depend on how large of an area you are talking about...
Old 04-17-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the compounding. We removed decals that had been in place for years. The heat gun and acetone got the decal and the adhesive. But it took wetsanding, compounding and polishing to get rid of the shadow. Still a tiny bit visible up close and from certain angles, but pretty much gone.
Old 04-17-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

The problem is that the area under the decals has been protected from UV, and everything else, while the rest of the transom has not. You'll either have to take off enough material to get it all to match, paint over it, or wait until the UV/aging evens it out again. Just be glad your boat isn't older and has had the decals in place for a decade or two. In such cases there is often a noticeable amount of relief where the decals used to be.
Faster likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-17-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS Go and talk to your local pharmasist and ge talking about OXALALIC ACID for use on the cleaning of your transome . I have had great results useing the same but I'm in Jolly Old Blighty and your chemicals may have a different streangth or mix to those here in UK, Get siuted and booted eyed and hatted before use and GO SAFE.
Old 04-17-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Chuck, if the area that was under the decals stands a bit high, a polishing wheel or compound may level it off and match the color. Odds are the discoloring is a chemical reaction to the decals, OR a difference in the gelcoat being UV-protected under them. If the wheel doesn't make you happy, the ultimate answer is to repaint just the transom, once those spots have been levelled out.

Or you apply a nice shiny new white vinyl "plaque" or other nameplate over that area and hide all the sins.

Oxalix acid is a good rust remover and yellowish stains are often iron stains, but I doubt that would have been the problem under the decals. "Bartenders Friend" "Zud" and similar products sold in the grocery use the same ingredient for the same purpose, certainly worth a try for the price.
Old 04-17-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I assumed that the yellower, creamier shade of white that formed the shadow behind our boat's old name was the original shade of white, vs. the whiter bleached color of the boat overall. Meaning the shadow was "correct" and all the rest would need to be brought back to that color. Turns out I kind of like the shadow--ghosts of names past and all that--yeah, and it's easier

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-25-2012

Mark Peter is on a distinguished road

Hi there...congrats on the purchase of your new boat. That slight yellow tint is due to the strong industrial adhesive they use for decals. You can safely remove the adhesive blotch with the help of the Wonder Wheel decals remover. This is a safe and effective product which can be used on all types of vehicles. It removes the stickers along with the glue so that you have a clean surface in less than 15 minutes. The product is made of rubber, so there's no chance of scratching or damaging the paint. Here you will find more information about the Wonder product and how to remove decals within minute: Removing Decals | Remove Stickers | Vinyl Sign Removal
Old 04-25-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road

I wet sanded ours with 800 then 1200 to remove the yellow tint color then buffed & polished. That worked for our boat. I do not know how long the old name was on the transom.
Old 04-25-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I assumed that the yellower, creamier shade of white that formed the shadow behind our boat's old name was the original shade of white, vs. the whiter bleached color of the boat overall. Meaning the shadow was "correct" and all the rest would need to be brought back to that color. Turns out I kind of like the shadow--ghosts of names past and all that--yeah, and it's easier
I just changed my boat name, and sort of favor Arf's approach. Your choices are to obsess over a slight shadow, trying to make an older boat look like new, or you can remove all the adhesive with a solvent, rub the old shadows with a little rubbing compound to lighten the image, and then apply the new name and forget about the slight shadow. It will fade after a year or two in the sun and salt. The other choice is to abrade it until it completely disappears, in which case you might have removed so much of the gelcoat that you might have to paint the transom to hide the exposed fiberglass cloth. To me, that's more unacceptable than just letting it fade naturally for a couple years. Even if it doesn't fade completely, it won't seem that important to you by that time.