Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: OK, so I'm Sanding My Bottom...

What you have is very thick old bottom paint (the red) and ground out blisters ( the craters). Remove most of the red stuff with your sander. Fill the craters and holes with epoxy mixed with low density plastic filler, put it on with a putty knife. Sand it smoothish, no neeed to be obsessive about this on an old boat. Put a layer of thin epoxy over the filled areas. Do not try to seal the boat with epoxy, it will not work. Then put on your bottom paint and go sailing.
Blister "repair" is almost always a waste of time, fixing something that isnt broken. Ignore any more blisters that are not broken open.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Squidd,

Ditto what jfdub said.

If you want to be in the water this season, forget you saw what you saw, mix up some slightly thickened epoxy, slather it on the exposed mat, roll it out, mix up some fairing compound, slather it on, sand and shape it, cover it with some barrier coat, bottom paint and go. In the fall, soda blast it and spend the winter cleaning it up.
I think I'm in full agreement here...It's only a 5 month season at best up here so I want to get 'er wet and shake 'er out...

I have a buddy that can do the blasting and I have indoor work space to "do it right" when I have more time (and money) next fall...so that's the plan...

Now just need to come up with a plan to patch into what I have...

It's not quite as soft as Bondo, but it is a quite soft and powdery whatever it is...

I'm not grinding all that aggressively, just cleaning out the "divots"... like I said, you can see the red "top coat" in the bottom of the grooves on the lowest level..So that was done before I got there..

I just gotta fix it...
Old 04-17-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
What you have is very thick old bottom paint (the red) and ground out blisters ( the craters). Remove most of the red stuff with your sander. Fill the craters and holes with epoxy mixed with low density plastic filler, put it on with a putty knife.
I agree, but don't use a putty knife - you will be sanding until June.

Use a wide flexible piece of plastic, the wider the better. Used carefully there will not be much sanding required.
CalebD likes this.
Old 04-17-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Brian is right about making a mold for the surface when applying 'putty'. Something like a thin plexiglass sheet can leave a nice fair surface or cut up a plastic milk gallon and use the smooth side for small patches. You will have to come up with a way (duct tape, dead men) of applying light pressure to your repair to hold the mold in place evenly. Even thin plywood (< 1/8" thick) can make a decent mold and bend to the shape of the hull. Any wood left on is easier to sand off then fiberglass/FRP.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

I wasn't exactly recommending that. I was just recommending using a wide flexible piece of plastic instead of a putty knife. The thickened epoxy should be mixed just thick enough that it doesn't run or sag. If you can fair the epoxy as you put it on over 12" or 16" width the sanding will be a lot less than if using a putty knife.
Old 04-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
I think I'm in full agreement here...It's only a 5 month season at best up here so I want to get 'er wet and shake 'er out...

I have a buddy that can do the blasting and I have indoor work space to "do it right" when I have more time (and money) next fall...so that's the plan...

Now just need to come up with a plan to patch into what I have...

I just gotta fix it...

Sounds like a good plan so far, concentrate on sailing, do it right when you have the time.

As for a quick and dirty way to revitalize the bottom..... have you considered ironing it?

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-18-2012
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
Sounds like a good plan so far, concentrate on sailing, do it right when you have the time.

As for a quick and dirty way to revitalize the bottom..... have you considered ironing it?

MedSailor
Ouch, the Iron burns again...

That probably won't work, but I am open to constructive suggestions...

Along those same lines, I'm still not willing to toss it out and buy new...nor am I going to send it out and let someone else do it for me...

Last edited by Squidd; 04-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Since you're sanding that super toxic stuff, I assume that you have all 147 permits that are required and that you've conducted fish impact studies as well using EPA certified salmon psychiatrists....
We tend not to have many environmental regulations in Wisconsin... less in the past 18 months... oops did I say that out loud?
messer999 likes this.
Old 04-18-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I agree with the wide flexy plastic thingy. This is really an easy repair if you use epoxy, forget Bondo. Get some epoxy (you need about a qt) with those little metering pumps. Save a bunch of butter tubs for mixing it in. Get the reddish plastic low density microballoon filler. Get some of those cheap chip brushes from Wal Mart, get a bunch of em. Mix some epoxy unthickened and paint it in the cavities to seal them. Next, mix up some epoxy thickened with the filler and put it in the cavities using the plastic thingy to spread it to shape of the hull.

Something I'd try, tape wax paper over the craters on top of the epoxy. The wax paper does not stick to the epoxy and will give you a smooth surface.
Old 04-18-2012
Superior Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Quote:
Since you're sanding that super toxic stuff, I assume that you have all 147 permits that are required and that you've conducted fish impact studies as well using EPA certified salmon psychiatrists....
We tend not to have many environmental regulations in Wisconsin... less in the past 18 months... oops did I say that out loud?
I just filter that stuff threw my cigarette butts anyway...at least till they clog up...

Heck, cut my smoking in half...