SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

OK, so I'm Sanding My Bottom...

12K views 97 replies 23 participants last post by  Squidd 
#1 · (Edited)
But I'm from the Midwest and not so sure what I'm looking at...(all we paint out here is houses barns and tractors...)

Is this supposed to be so "lumpy"...

Doesn't look like any "paint" I've ever seen before... It looks "thick"... like an 1/8" thick and like it was put on with a spatula and back brushed with a whisk broom...that's just the "Red" layer...

And it's "Soft" almost chalky or powdery...some of it flakes off (in the blistery ares and the "layered" areas.. and then the rest is stuck on tight...

Below that is a light blue/gray also "Thick" powdery layer...

I think it had popped blisters as well and then the red went over that...

Below the Gray is a greenish chopped fiberglass layer that is hard...

The whole thing down to Glass is almost 1 1/4" thick...

But you can see some of the red also goes all the way down to the glass matt..

So what do I got here and what do I do with it...??

I'm thinking continue sanding all the blisters/bubbles down to the green glass matt and then fair and fill with some sort of epoxy/poly "filler"...?

Then fair the bulk of the bottom to smooth out the "lumps...

Prime (type) ??

Bottom paint...

What I'm looking for is advice on getting it to the "primed" stage...There's enough arguments/threads on bottom paint choices already...

Thanks in advance...

See less See more
#81 ·
OK so I tried a second coat of clear epoxy today...

Clear over clear is still clear... I could not "see" what I was covering/missing so I stopped after a few sq/ft..

Spent the rest of the afternoon "scuff sanding" the dry clear coat hoping the sanding scratchs will guide me as I apply second layer...not totally convinced...

What i would like is to "tint" the next layer so I can "see" where/what I'm covering...

What can I add as a "tint".. I read on google a small amount of artist oil paint woiuld work, mixed with epoxy resin...I have some...any other suggestions...?

#82 ·
Got to a fiberglass supplier and buy some tint - it only costs a few bucks.

#85 ·
I don't know why I didn't think of it eariler...Carbon Black...about as inert and you can get...

Couple drops toned a batch black...just enough to see the new coating...

Two coats epoxy abour 12 to 16 mil barrier on top of fill and fair...starting to look presentable from what I started with...

Three days of "cureing" while I go off and watch the daughter graduate Nurseing School.. and then back to put two coats of hard Biocide paint on...calling it good for now...( I want to go sailing...)

#98 ·
Thanks...Took a little work but saved some boat bucks doing it myself...

Not bad for a $760 e-bay boat...

Got the trailer lights and brakes wired up...Just a few loose ends to tie up inside and out... ready to travel...

I can't believe in a week or so I might actually have to "Sail" this thing...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.