Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Cleaning Teak

Does anyone have a good solvent or other cleaner for getting very old oil out of interior teak?

The teak oil in my boat has to be as old as the boat - 42 years. It is blackened & stained and I want to get it out of the wood before I sand in preparation for varnish.

I've tried a number of things and, so far, the only thing that's worked is ZEP purple cleaner and degreaser. It works, sort of, but it is not recommended for wood and I really end up getting the wood wet before it gets all the oil out.

For that reason I don't want to use it on the teak ply - bulkheads etc.

Any good suggestions out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Cleaning Teak

What about using a teak cleaner such as this 1 step cleaner by Interlux? http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/21700/1d/content.westmarine.com/images/catalog/full/6862494.jpg. I would apply it according to directions and then rinse off with a sponge and clean water bucket. If that doesn't work, try a 2 step cleaner but that will be more damaging to gel oat and/or painted surfaces.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Teak

We use Teakdecking Systems one part cleaner. But I suspect you will need to use a two part, which will actually dissolve some of your teak. Be careful with it. They do work, but I would say you only get one or two shots at it per deck lifetime. Sanding is the same, can't do it often.

Two part cleaner, then sand and you will have a nice clean deck, albeit marginally thinner. It's okay if it has never been done before.

One tip, if you caulking is standing up proud above the teak, it will be impossible to clean well. It would have to be trimmed down first.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2012

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road

Did you try TSP? The black is probably from water not the oil and I don't think you want (or need) to get the oil out before varnish. Teak has natural oils in it that the varnish will seal in. There is lots of information on here and I may be recalling some of it wrong. I would do a search on here for it.
Old 04-20-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I read too quickly and missed that this was interior. The black must be mold?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

If the 'black' is because someone spilled used motor oil and it soaked into the wood cells, then this is due to microscopic carbon particles that have migrated into the teak cellulose fibers, there is no way to remove them other than to either sand away or replace the teak.

If this is a water stain that has turned black due to mildew/fungus penetration then there are two methods:
1. soaking with TSP or other strong caustic which dissolves the fungal cells but also dissolves some of the wood cells which will also change the 'color/hue' of the wood; followed up by bleaching (oxalic acid and/or chlorine bleach) and then 'tinting' the wood with successive 'washes' of dilute 'stain' to slowly 'work back' to the correct color.
2. replacing the wood with a close match of grain ... depends if 'wild' teak or 'plantation' teak, then 'tinting' to its best color match. Or deep sanding.
Old 04-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify, the "black" is not a stain - engine oil or anything, nor is it mould, it is simply old, filthy teak oil with decades of grime, handprints etc. added in. Where I have cleaned it, it came out nice, only needing sanding with 180 grit to bring the natural colour back to the wood.

I was just hoping for something that would "wipe" the old oil off - the ZEP requires a lot of work, repetition and scrubbing.

I completely forgot about TSP - I'll try that.

Thanks.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-20-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

OK. Yes an oil finish will eventually 'go dark/black' with age. If you use TSP, use 'the most diluted' solution of it so that that it 'just' lifts the old oil; if too 'strong' you will extract tannins, etc. from the wood and the future bleaching & color matching will be much more difficult.
Soak time is the key for lifting the blacks with TSP, you can extend the 'soak time' by covering the TSP/wood by covering with plastic film (Saran, etc.).
Old 04-20-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road

We use Teaka A & B for cleanup of our old teak interior - solid and veneer parts - and then a light sanding with some 150 or finer. Then start the varnish coats.

L
Old 04-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

1 part teak cleaner = oxalic acid = "Bar Keepers Friend"
Cheaper then the marine version.

Everybody has one: