Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: rebedding my hatch lexan (if that's what it is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

How the kids managed to kick in a hatch, which is supposed to be as strong as the hull...I'm not sure I want to know. Makes you wonder, if the hatch itself should be upgraded, if there's any chance of being caught out in wx.
If the hatch is unsupported polycarbonate it's actually quite easy. Polycarbonate is very, very "impact resistant" but because of this more flexible than cast acrylic. When installed in a hatch frame intended for cast acrylic it can foreshorten/flex and you literally push it through the opening and into the cabin.

I know a sailor in a race who went right into the v-berth because the owner replaced the cast acrylic lens that had been there for 20 years with polycarboante thinking it was better. Better for impact, sharp blows, but not for flexing..

Bomar makes their 100 series hatches with polycarbonate and they are very distinctive because they have cross bars to support the polycarbonate so it can't foreshorten and break the seal or be forced into the cabin by green water or the errant sailor..

If the hatch does not have cross bars to support the lens then it is most likely made of cast acrylic. If it has cross bars to support the lens then it is most likely a Bomar 100 series and made with a polycarb lens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Maine-
It all comes down to proper installation. Which these days, might mean using 3M's VLB tape instead of conventional framing. Or in addition to conventional framing. Interesting stuff.

I know GE has done many odd things over the years but never heard they 'withdrew" Lexan from marine use in any way. Since a number of prime vendors still use it after 30? years experience, I have to suspect it all comes back to proper installation. (Seems like I heard that here before.)

What especially amazes me is the constant way so many people say "Oh, I lhave lexan, you can't break that" when they either have styrene or acrylic and either one in a conventional 1/16" glazing explodes pretty well when it meets an uru hammer.

(What, you don't have one of them in your special tool box?)
Old 04-21-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

I know GE has done many odd things over the years but never heard they 'withdrew" Lexan from marine use in any way. Since a number of prime vendors still use it after 30? years experience, I have to suspect it all comes back to proper installation. (Seems like I heard that here before.)
Comes down to the old "can't believe everything you read on the net"...

Bomar has been using Lexan in the 100 series hatches for as long as I can remember.

Bomar 100 Series Hatch - Lexan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-18-2012
Marine Manufacturer

Brian_A is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Brian Atkins, Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. There are a lot of different possibilities when choosing the right lens and adhesive for repairing your hatches. We find that a cast acrylic works best (Lexan is stronger, but clouds or crazes much faster). Some people prefer a simple Butyl Tape to seal this in, some prefer the stronger 5200. We find that something in the middle may work best.

Butyl Tape is easy to apply, but as the primary sealant it does not seam to hold the seal quite as long as some of the other glues.

3M 5200 works great as a sealant, and for strength. But we find almost all boat owners need to remove their hatches or ports at some point during their adventures - and 5200 is simply too strong for this application (many have broken their hatch simply trying to pry it off the boat).

Most hatches and ports will be secured in place using either a self-tapping screw, or by being through-bolted - not by glue (other through-hulls may vary). The adhesive you choose should only be used to make the opening waterproof. Often some type of silicone is more then sufficient for the job, just make sure to clean both surfaces prior to gluing.

Feel free to take a look at our website (atkinshoyle.com), where we discuss how to go about resealing your hatches. If you have any questions, feel free to give us a call (613 354 1919).