Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Is there a NON THRU HULL Knotmeter?!?!

Good Morning,
Maybe it's me but I am having a heck of a time finding anything sailboat related without the exact search terms. For example "pulley" yileds NOTHING, you have to look for "block". Also "teak handles" yields absolutely nothing but "teak handrails" are just the ticket". Maybe it's just me.

My question is this: Is there a sailboat speedometer, speed meter or knotmeter (or knot meter) that can be installed WITHOUT cutting a hole in the boat?? Ie WITHOUT a paddlewheel? Also I don't know about thru hull or in-hull.. they sound the same to me.

I have an older Laguna Windrose 18'. It has an old Signet Knotmeter with a paddlewheel. I want to remove it because it hits the trailer when loading (the previous owner had a lever rigged up to pull it in a little but it does not work right.

What I would like is a speed meter that has like a transducer or something mounted to the floor of the boat without a hole.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn T
Wichita KS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2012
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is there a NON THRU HULL Knotmeter?!?!

I would think not, something has to be able to gauge your movement. If you have a handheld GPS, that will tell you your speed.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur_Expert View Post
Good Morning,
Maybe it's me but I am having a heck of a time finding anything sailboat related without the exact search terms. For example "pulley" yileds NOTHING, you have to look for "block". Also "teak handles" yields absolutely nothing but "teak handrails" are just the ticket". Maybe it's just me.

My question is this: Is there a sailboat speedometer, speed meter or knotmeter (or knot meter) that can be installed WITHOUT cutting a hole in the boat?? Ie WITHOUT a paddlewheel? Also I don't know about thru hull or in-hull.. they sound the same to me.

I have an older Laguna Windrose 18'. It has an old Signet Knotmeter with a paddlewheel. I want to remove it because it hits the trailer when loading (the previous owner had a lever rigged up to pull it in a little but it does not work right.

What I would like is a speed meter that has like a transducer or something mounted to the floor of the boat without a hole.

Thanks

Shawn T
Wichita KS
See JDC Electronic SPEEDWATCH Speedwatch Wireless Knotmeter with FREE UPS

For a less costly solution see Knotstick Sailboat Speedometers
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-21-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

GPS will tell you your speed over the ground, which is really what you need for navigation. For boat performance (sail trim, et cetera) you need to tell your speed through the water. A paddlewheel knotmeter is, by far, the most common way of getting that info. There is at least one company that uses a thru-hull without a paddlewheel. I think it uses Doppler sonar, but it may use some other method. In any case it's VERY pricy, and you still have a thru-hull to worry about. However, there is something called a Knotstick which is just a little towed disk, and only costs about $50. They aren't nearly as complicated (or as "shippy-looking", or as pricey) as the old Taffrail logs, and appear to be fairly accurate, but may be somewhat of a bother to use.

D'oh!
svHyLyte beat me to it, and I forgot about those SpeedWatch gizmos (actually, I thought they weren't on the market anymore). But they still have something mechanical under the boat to worry about. Have you thought about just relocating the thru-hull?
T37Chef likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 04-21-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good Morning,

Thanks

Shawn T
Wichita KS
Normally the knotmeter sensor is completely flush apart from the actual paddle blades which extend out. Are these really fouling the trailer or did someone install it wrongly so that the whole shaft is sticking out?

Also most knotmeter sensors unscrew to be replaced by a blank plug. In your case you'd have to do this before retrieval of the boat. After a while one tends to master the art of a quick swap without too much water coming in. The first time, you'll be amazed at how much water comes in! Better have that blank handy

How about a pic?

Last edited by MarkSF; 04-21-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2012

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for all the replies this morning guys!

I may have mis-spoke earlier... regarding the paddlewheel sticking out it APPEARS to be in the line of hitting the trailer. I am assuming (you know what they say about assume though) that along with the possible poor positioning and that the previous owner had a lever rigged to pull the paddlewheel in (hooked up to a rope runnig to the cockpit) that it will hit. I also simply don't like holes as well.

I have seen the knotstick as well as some VERY PRICEY units that may have the doppler.. have also seen that GPS can work although not totally accurate. I have also seen the wrist unit which is reasonable price-wise.

All I want is a installed mounted readout telling me how fast I'm going. You would think someone would come up with something simple like motor boats have (pitot tube) I mean it doesn't seem like rocket science.

Anyhow, does anyone recommend a GPS that displays knots that I can purchase??

Thanks much!

Shawn T
Wichita KS

Last edited by Amateur_Expert; 04-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I've seen transom mounted paddle wheels on power boats, try searching Defender of WM.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 04-21-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Anyhow, does anyone recommend a GPS that displays knots that I can purchase??
Speed Puck

They're kinda pricey for a GPS with very limited functions.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-21-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Take a line and tie a knot in it every foot, drop it overboard and count how many knots go by in a given amout of time this is how many knots your doing
Old 04-21-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
Is there a NON THRU HULL Knotmeter?!?!

Most smart phones have cheap available apps that can provide speed info using their built in gps.

Tags
knotmeter speedometer