Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches

Yup, I know good sheet management can minimize this--I've been sailing a long time and don't need the lecture--but I single hand a lot, often the sheets get to flog for a few moments, and the clew and winches seem to have a love affair, particularly when the wind freshens. And snagging a sheet on the mast is a great way to blow a perfectly good tack.

On many small boats and 2 of my former boats, it's normal to rig bungees to guide sheets away from trouble spots. I'm wondering, has anyone tried something like this on a larger boa with mast-mounted winches? They are about chest-high and mounted on opposing sides. I'm thinking a bungee on each side, starting about 2 feet above the winch, secured to the handle socket, and continuing to 2 feet below the winch, would keep the sheet from looping. It could be easily popped out to use the winch.

Thoughts? I hate drilling holes, but this seems practical. On my last boats, fittings were either pre-existing or used the mast track. I'm sure I can try a duct tape and line lash-up to test the idea, but if someone has been down this path--must have--that would be helpful. Searches were unproductive.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Genoa Sheets Fouling on Mast-monted Winches

Don't see a way to do this without drilling holes, but I expect it would work as long the the bungees could be kept tight enough.. you'd also have to fashion a piece to fit into the winch socket, of course.

Would they 'live there' all the time or be removable? You might use some small hook fittings for the bungees making them easily removable. We have small unobtrusive hooks to stow lazy jacks, something similar to that might do the job for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Don't see a way to do this without drilling holes, but I expect it would work as long the the bungees could be kept tight enough.. you'd also have to fashion a piece to fit into the winch socket, of course.

Would they 'live there' all the time or be removable? You might use some small hook fittings for the bungees making them easily removable. We have small unobtrusive hooks to stow lazy jacks, something similar to that might do the job for you.

I don't mind drilling and tapping holes or placing rivets. I just want to avoid false starts.

Seems like a common problem. I've read posts where folks were snagging, but they never presented a workable solution. If it was a race boat--like my last boat--I'd remove the winches and clean-up the area. But I actually like the location of the winches and their utility for hoisting, reefing, and lifting deck cargo. She's a cat, so I have a nice broad, flat cabin top to stand on.

I think they would be permanent. The port winch is very seldom used (jib halyard on furler). Most days, the starboard winch is used once, to hoist the main. I'm thinking that if the bungee is tight, that would hold the fitting in the winch socket (perhaps a stub of PVC pipe, perhaps something more fitted).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Tie a rolling hitch around the mast, with a bowline in theworking end as the bungee connection. See Rolling Hitch | How to tie the Rolling Hitch and Tautline Hitch | Boating Knots
Old 04-22-2012

ggray is on a distinguished road

On our first cat, we had a line tied to a point on the mast above the single winch to the middle of the bow tube. This kept the sheets off the winch.
Old 04-23-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The sheets snag on the aft side of the winch..?

I'm wondering if you could make, or have made a guard that snaps or clamps on to the base of the winch, with a stainless bail that would protect the winch.

I'm picturing something like a round wire light guard ( below) , but much sleaker...for your purpose.

Zinc Plated Steel Snap-On Wire Guard for Glass Globes - 7-3/4" - Franklin - 253-1232 - Refrigeration Hardware - Components - ZESCO.com

You would just need a bail that hooked into the socket, like faster suggested, then snapped around the base of the winch.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-23-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2012

This worked:

Sail Delmarva: Genoa Sheet Deflector

It snaps right into the handle socket, which is neat. I'm sure I could have taken the bungee from the upper point to the deck just as well.