Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: cell phone for wet use?

Set Your Location

That is the one I was thinking of upgrading too!

Set Your Location
That appears to be the new version of what I have.....

Marty
Old 04-22-2012

Screaming Seagull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
I don't know about actual Waterproof phones but touchscreen phones are well suited to being used in a waterproof ziplock bag like case. Plus there are plenty of apps for sailing.
I have a iPhone and it's surprisingly compatible with water as is. but I use the otterbox case which is extremely durable and if I know I'm going to get real wet I use a ziplock bag as well .

Navionics is an outstanding app for any boater I highly suggest you invest in this app. It has saved my ass a few times.

~___/)___ Bristol, RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

The tunda? I can not help to think I got a lemon a bad one . ATT just told me the deal is water resistent not waterproof. They wil not replace or split the cost of the phone That was 3 years ago first time the phone got wet from spray. It was not a full submersion like this last weekend, I will not buy one of the same kind. I may change my provider. I at least want something else I have a sour taste from this one. The best I can say is it is lighting up now one week later but just on the charger.
Old 04-23-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Lou-
AT&T aren't always consistent, so you might try your luck again, either at a store, service center, or phone rep. An actual service center may be the best place to try.

Choices in rugged phones are very slim, the industry would rather you buy a new one, as most users do (amazing) every year.

In real life I think most of us use a ziplock freezer bag, a bit more rugged than the sandwich bags. Places online like All4cellular.com often have the Otterbox dry storage box on sale for $10. A waterproof phone case is going to cost more--and again, only be available for certain phones.

There are also EWAMarine and other brand "dry bags". Vinyl bag with a waterproof seal, sold for radios, phones, cameras, etc. in many sizes, and actually submersible. A box of ziplock bags...not a bad start.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 04-24-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

+1 for an iPhone and LifeProof case.

I'm a delivery skipper and do radio installs, repair, and training. I'm on and around the water a lot. I use a 9' RIB to get to customers at anchor a lot, and spend a bunch of time on the phone underway. Green water over the bow of dinghy or delivery boat is common.

My calendar, contact list, technical data resources, and Internet access (when close enough to shore) are through the phone. I need it. No fooling around. I drowned my old iPhone 3G and business was miserable until I got my current 4 online. The $80 LifeProof case was a good value.
Lou452 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2012

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road

Tried and tested, dedicated pay as you go SIM chip for use on the boat, works underwater:

Amazon.com: Samsung GT-B2710, Dust and Water Resistant Unlocked Phone - International Version - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Samsung GT-B2710, Dust and Water Resistant Unlocked Phone - International Version - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Even has a GPS, will run Google Maps for Mobile. Not exactly iNavX, but useful backup to backup.

- LP
Old 04-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Auspicious, you make a good business case for going Android, where all that lost information is safely and securely (ROFL) stored in the "cloud", and if you lose a phone you simply activate the new one and the cloud data comes back home to you.

I say ROFL because I have my doubts about the cloud, data has been lost from there too.

Rhodes, any cell phone, gps, or other microwave device that can work underwater is obviously alien technology stolen from Area51, because on this planet, microwaves don't like going underwater. Not far, not often. Splashproof is good, but that phone looks pre-smartphone, making it of limited use to many of us. There's apparently a new Samsung "Rugby" series Android from AT&T, just out last month but getting near-zero publicity.

The DoD has expressed interest and DARPA has been asking for hardened smartphones (probably Android based) to be used for the military in combat. Odds are those will be truly environmental-proofed and we'll see civilian trickle-down in 3? more years.

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Samsung B2100 totally water PROOF. Not resistant. PROOF.

Amazon.com: Unlocked Samsung Xplorer B2100 Solid Extreme Anti-Shock Waterproof Quad-Band Phone Red -International version with Embedded Flashlight: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Unlocked Samsung Xplorer B2100 Solid Extreme Anti-Shock Waterproof Quad-Band Phone Red -International version with Embedded Flashlight: Cell Phones & Accessories

My wife and I both have this phone and I've been swimming and surfing with it in my pocket on a lanyard with no problems. Also, working in health care, I encounter icky stuff from time to time and it's nice to run this phone under the sink and clean it with soap and water.

Things I LOVE about this phone:

1. Waterproof. Totally. Did I mention that I take it swimming and surfing?
2. It's not huge, it's regular phone sized.
3. It has a built-in VERY bright flashlight that you can access by feel. You'll wonder how you ever lived without this feature once you have it.
4. Integral lanyard attachment fitting. Tie any small cordage to it.
5. Since it has features 1&4 if you program your local Coast Guard SAR phone number into it, it provides safety communication simmilar to a VHF. I wear it attached to my PFD when sailboat racing in nasty weather.
6. Great battery life. I charge it every 3-4 days and don't even pack a charger for a weekend trip.
7. Costs <$100.

Things I don't like:

1. The speaker and microphone aren't great. They work, but they're among the worst of the phones I've owned.
2. Text messaging takes far too many selections from the menu to be as quick as it should. Also, since this phone wasn't marketed in the USA there is no english language predictive texting.

GREAT phone. I've had it 2 years now and still love it.

MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-24-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Personally I hate smart-phones but for those so inclined to own I-products you should check out the "life-proof" cases for Iphones. I had a chance to look at at friend's life-proof Iphone case last weekend and was very impressed. It added almost NO bulk to the phone and was submersible and you could still use the touch screen. The material looked like the semi-rigid yet panels used in more modem and expensive dodger windows.

It was definitely the first submersible smartphone case that I've seen that didn't look like an otter-box.

Here is a photo of an iphone with the case on. You can barely tell it has a case on at all, which was my experience looking at it in person.

Here is a really good review of the life-proof case. Shows the good and bad.

Medsailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Auspicious, you make a good business case for going Android, where all that lost information is safely and securely (ROFL) stored in the "cloud", and if you lose a phone you simply activate the new one and the cloud data comes back home to you.
Not even close. With my iPhone I have a local backup (and backups of my backups) through iTunes. When I drowned my 3G all the data loaded immediately onto my 4. If you believe in the Cloud (I don't) Apple offers that through iCloud. I prefer my backups be under my control. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The DoD has expressed interest and DARPA has been asking for hardened smartphones (probably Android based) to be used for the military in combat. Odds are those will be truly environmental-proofed and we'll see civilian trickle-down in 3? more years.
To date Blackberry still has a lock on USG SBU communications. To my knowledge Apple is closer to cracking that nut than any of the Android providers. We'll see over the next year or so I'm sure.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.