Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-22-2012
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Fridge organization / shelves

Hi everyone,
We have a typical top-loading fridge up against the hull, so it's curved on one side and straight on the other 3 sides. It had a shelf when it was an icebox, but installing the evaporator required removing it.

We'd like to be able to organize a little, instead of just piling everything in the bottom of the fridge. I can think of some ways to go about this, but I have a feeling others have crossed this bridge before.

Any suggestions on either ways to add shelves or any other type of organization that works well in a top-loading fridge with one curved side? We're definitely open to suggestions.

Thanks!
-J
Old 04-23-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fridge organization / shelves

We are planning on a icebox redo as well. We made a cardboard template the size of the fridge and have experimented with the design and this is what we came up with. We will instal new condenser on left side of fridge. Along the back wall, instal a shelf wide enough for a couple of rows of water bottles and soda / beer cans. This shelf will extend from left rear corner to the right rear corner except leaving a space to fit a wine bottle standing upright. There will be a brace to keep the bottle from falling. The floor of our fridge has a side that goes up so the fridge is shallowest at the left rear corner. The flatest and deepest side is the right side of the fridge. There we will stack removeable covered boxes that we will fill with food. These boxes will be long enough to extend from the shelf along the back to the front and have holes to allow for the passage of air and coldness. They will also have handles so we can pull them up from the bottom. I've made a drawing (not to scale) of our plans which hopefully helps.
Mandolins fridge idea.jpg

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

We use stackable baskets. They are easy to lift out and allow the cold air to circulate properly to the beer at the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-23-2012
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
We are planning on a icebox redo as well. We made a cardboard template the size of the fridge and have experimented with the design and this is what we came up with. We will instal new condenser on left side of fridge. Along the back wall, instal a shelf wide enough for a couple of rows of water bottles and soda / beer cans. This shelf will extend from left rear corner to the right rear corner except leaving a space to fit a wine bottle standing upright. There will be a brace to keep the bottle from falling. The floor of our fridge has a side that goes up so the fridge is shallowest at the left rear corner. The flatest and deepest side is the right side of the fridge. There we will stack removeable covered boxes that we will fill with food. These boxes will be long enough to extend from the shelf along the back to the front and have holes to allow for the passage of air and coldness. They will also have handles so we can pull them up from the bottom. I've made a drawing (not to scale) of our plans which hopefully helps.
Tod, thanks for the detailed plans. It really helps to see how others are tackling the same problem. Quick question--what are you using for the shelf? Is it solid or wire or other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
We use stackable baskets. They are easy to lift out and allow the cold air to circulate properly to the beer at the bottom.
Treilley, do you just set the baskets on top of the beer/drinks at the bottom?

Thanks to you both...
-J
Old 04-23-2012
Jim Sanders

Jimmy E is on a distinguished road

J
I'm in the process of finishing the same project. May I suggest you make sure your happy with the amount of insulation you have currently. Although 10 years older, my ice box design had the same funky curve/slant to it. I think it's a bi-product of using every square inch available for storage,however at the expense of a reasonable volume of insulation.
To answer your question, I ended up squaring up the inside of the box ,as I rebuilt it, and created a second, level surface. I like to think of it as the "crisper" area of the new ice box.
Cheers
Old 04-24-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I am planning on making the shelf out of a solid material and drilling holes in it for ventilation and to avoid water / condensation buildup. I would not use metal to avoid problems with rust.

I am considering using this bubble insulation found at Home Depot to add to the box's insulating power. A friend has done so on his icebox and reports that colder temps.
Old 04-24-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Tod, thanks for the detailed plans. It really helps to see how others are tackling the same problem. Quick question--what are you using for the shelf? Is it solid or wire or other?

Treilley, do you just set the baskets on top of the beer/drinks at the bottom?

Thanks to you both...
-J
The beer is laying on its side in it's own basket at the bottom.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-24-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Priorities!!!! I like that!

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 04-24-2012
Unpaid Intern

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy E View Post
...May I suggest you make sure your happy with the amount of insulation you have currently....
Hi Jimmy, we may indeed have to augment insulation, so right now I'm leaning towards basic storage solutions like baskets that can be rearranged. I don't want to do anything too involved at this time, because you're right--we might need more insulation inside the box.

Quote:
The beer is laying on its side in it's own basket at the bottom.
Thanks Treilley...