Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2012

Diamondjet is on a distinguished road
Re: Shoot Thru Hull Transducer

Hello all.....Same problem here with Norcross Hawkeye 'thru hull' transducer. It works when dipped over the side but fails to provide signal to the display when set in the hull of the Catalina 22 swing keel. I've used silicone, and the baggy filled water with zero results on both.....just '---' on display. The hull does have the roughness associated with laid up fiberglass. Some of the fibers stick 'this way and that' and present a rough surface. Should I sand these down with my palm sander and try again? I have tried the beeswax yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

FWIW, when I installed a similar Garmin unit in my Pearson I could never get any of the test methods to work, eventually I just gave up and installed it properly, and it worked to 800' and that was with a 1 1/4" thick hull.
Old 04-26-2012
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondjet View Post
Hello all.....Same problem here with Norcross Hawkeye 'thru hull' transducer. It works when dipped over the side but fails to provide signal to the display when set in the hull of the Catalina 22 swing keel. I've used silicone, and the baggy filled water with zero results on both.....just '---' on display. The hull does have the roughness associated with laid up fiberglass. Some of the fibers stick 'this way and that' and present a rough surface. Should I sand these down with my palm sander and try again? I have tried the beeswax yet.
I tried sanding it smooth and it didn't help...
Old 04-26-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Next, the position of the transducer should be relatively close to the stern, and about halfway between the keep and the waterline. This will provide you with a relatively flat location, which is the best you can hope for. Don't position the transducer close to the keep because part of the signal cone may be blocked.
Gary where do you come up with this stuff?

On sailboats Airmar, Raymarine and others recommend forward of the keel. I don't know a boat builder who has ever installed them aft of the keel though I'm sure some did..? Was on three different boats today alone, a C&C 110, Ericson & a Cape Dory all had the ducer in front of the keel ..

There is a nice black and white picture of where to mount it, in the Raymarine depth sounder installation instructions. The only time I see one aft is when a DIY was a previous power boater and they often have keel turbulence issues..

Even Uniden says this; (happened to have the manual in my shop next to me)

Uniden Depth Sounder Installation:
"On sailboats, mount the transducer where the acoustic beam will
not be shaded by the keel. A spot forward of a fin keel with a
minimum deadrise angle is preferred."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-26-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My old Catalina 27 with a fin keel was the second sailboat I fired the transducer through the hull. When I tried positioning the transducer forward of the keel it worked just fine when conditions were calm and the boat wasn't heeled hard. However, when the bay was a bit bumpy and the boat was heeled over the forward turbulence was such that the transducer could not read anything other than the bubbles. I repositioned the transducer to aft of the keel and under the same conditions no problems. I tested my newest Lowrance HD7's transducer at four locations on my Morgan 33, and again, the best results have been closer to the stern--not the bow. So, where do I get this stuff--practical experience.

Now, I've used other manufacturers depth finders in years past, Hummingbird, etc..., but my best readings while shooting through the hull have been when using Lowrance systems.

My best advice is to use whatever works best for YOU! This may take some work and experimentation, but you must keep in mind that every boat's hull is different, the power of the depth finders vary considerably, and the results will, obviously, vary. That's why we use things such as plastic bags, oil-filled reservoirs, etc.. to test the best position for the transducer.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 02-05-2013

jb1528 is on a distinguished road

I'm late to this discussion but wonder the best way to measure the deadrise angle given the boat rises perpendicular to the centerline and also fore and aft. At least that seams to be the case in my Bristol 32. I have an airmar transducer that was installed by the PO and question its positioning. Do you take the greatest angle and orient the base relative to that? What seems to be the consensus?

thanks
Jim

Tags
depth finder , installation , shoot thru , transducer