• 1 Post By Classic30
  • 1 Post By Classic30

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Volvo Penta 2002 engine gauge

The small gauge fell out of the boat.
The large one I bought to replace it.
The one I bought looked promising in the catalog but is obviously too big.

This panel already has a tachometer .

The old gauge has the engine hours meter and as you can see has a 0 to 60 scale for something, I'm assuming it is another tach, why I don't know.

Is there any other gauge that comes with an hour meter.
The old only has plus and minus on it.
I was hoping that their would be a temperature sensor but other than the tach, the fuel and this old gauge that is it.

I'm going to see if they make something that fits in a 2" hole instead of the 3" hole the one they sent me needs.

What do you think is going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo Penta 2002 engine gauge-p4230005-small-.jpg   Volvo Penta 2002 engine gauge-p4230004-small-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Volvo Penta 2002 engine gauge

David, the old (small) gauge is a straight hour-meter. The 0 to 60 scale is "minutes".

You'd be better off getting a VDO hour meter or similar - their Cockpit Vision one is 2" dia. and should plug straight in.

davidpm likes this.
Old 04-23-2012

Now that makes sense.
That explains it only has a plus and minus on the back.
Old 04-23-2012

Just looked at the old gauge again and what do you know there are gears inside that connect the hour numbers to the dial. What do you know. Observation helps.
Now If I turn on the instrument panel I suspect I should get some voltage between the two wires that were connected to the gauge.
Old 04-23-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Now If I turn on the instrument panel I suspect I should get some voltage between the two wires that were connected to the gauge.
Yep.

I think I can safely say you now know more about your engine control panel than the Volvo rep that sold you that gauge..
davidpm likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-23-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2012

Thank you all especially Hartley18. I bought the gauge you recommended and it seems to be working well.

The VDO has a 2" screw on ring that holds the unit in place instead of the metal tent arrangement it had before. This means that the thickness had to be uniform for the gauge to fit properly. The factory however was sloppy and had a big blob of fiberglass on one corner.
After a night sleeping on the problem I brought a dremmel with a 1" cutting wheel. I was amazed how easy it was to slice that glass. It fits well now.

My last issue is the wiring.

The old setup had only two wires.
This new unit has a hot for the meter and a hot for the back-light.
I'm not sure that the engine panel is fused well as their is no switch down below like their is for instrument lights, house lights etc.
I'm thinking I should wire a 1 amp inline fuse from my one hot line then connect both gauge wires to that. At least it will have some protection.

One annoying thing is that the gauge can not be set to the correct hours without sending it in to a repair shop. Really dumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo Penta 2002 engine gauge-p5010033-small-.jpg  

Last edited by davidpm; 05-02-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
My last issue is the wiring.

The old setup had only two wires.
This new unit has a hot for the meter and a hot for the back-light.
I'm not sure that the engine panel is fused well as their is no switch down below like their is for instrument lights, house lights etc.
I'm thinking I should wire a 1 amp inline fuse from my one hot line then connect both gauge wires to that. At least it will have some protection.
Of course, you don't HAVE to run the backlight... (I bet the old one didn't have one - and how many times are you really going to want to definitively know what your engine hours are at night?) It's supposed to be some kind of indication you've got power on - hence the lack of a dedicated lights fuse, but if your panel is installed in the cockpit (it seems it is) you can't see the lights in the daytime anyways.

By convention, engine panel lights are "always on" once you turn on the ignition. If you want to run the lights and you're worried about it, then the 1A fuse idea sounds like a good one - otherwise, the normal method is to connect the two hot wires together.

Quote:
One annoying thing is that the gauge can not be set to the correct hours without sending it in to a repair shop. Really dumb.
Yep. ..but unless you're certain the engine panel and engine are used together from day one, engine hours on the gauge is not necessarily actual engine run-time anyways - it's relative. Best just record the last reading off of the old gauge in your engine log and start from zero.

I'm glad I could help, David.
davidpm likes this.